• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

Newbies: feel free to ask for help! We can do training sessions online as well!

Main Menu

XLAN 2010

Started by Lennysaurus, February 15, 2010, 10:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lennysaurus

Andy.  I'm gonna put it plain as day for you bro.

The giga monitors have been tested.  With actual equipment, and we have exact numbers to prove that they are lag free.  This is hard factual evidence that we can back up with photographs and data.

I have no idea why you are missing at the giga setup, but unless you give us factual evidence of the setup being no good, you're honestly wasting your time complaining about it and calling BS.  Saying "Oh it feels the same to me" is not factual evidence.

The only difference I can think of is the fact that you are practicing on PS3, and we use XBOX360 at ranbats.  I'm guessing that this could be the difference.  Thats all I can think of.

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

Hydro

I just wanted to chime in and say that after playing a number of sets on the lagless set ups at Giga last ranbats (which were the best yet IMO), I now find them superior in everyway to the regular set up I had at home via LCD etc etc. I'm now playing on the CRT at home and I finally feel like I can actually train/play the game for real.

The Lag free set ups are awesome, only took 5 matches to get the timing down, and from there it was gravy. The ability to play in real time does so much for your reactionary skills, I really can't wait for the next set against you cats at Giga. :D

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Quote from: hydrokinesis on July 06, 2010, 09:12:10 PM
I just wanted to chime in and say that after playing a number of sets on the lagless set ups at Giga last ranbats (which were the best yet IMO), I now find them superior in everyway to the regular set up I had at home via LCD etc etc. I'm now playing on the CRT at home and I finally feel like I can actually train/play the game for real.

The Lag free set ups are awesome, only took 5 matches to get the timing down, and from there it was gravy. The ability to play in real time does so much for your reactionary skills, I really can't wait for the next set against you cats at Giga. :D
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

Hydro

Oh you like that shit huh?

Turns out, like everyone and their dog mentioned, all we needed to do at the 3v3 was play more games on the set up before hand, simple.

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Im still putting money on Umehala to take the title at nats.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

zos'la

Don't take my BS too seriously, it was a joke to being with.
Let me put this in a more serious manner.

As stated in my previous post, I have notice no differences in speed wise using my LCD with HDMI and a 15 years old CRT. I do agree I do not have teh right equipment to test it on therefore I can no put actual FACTS here, you can take my words for it or not but the Giga monitors running on VGA does nto feel anything like the CRT setup I have. Which I find it funny as I would of expected it to be similar or better than the VGA setup at Giga because I was there to do the test and took the photos. The test was base on the BenQ 27 inch with teh Acer 22 inch and we found it to have around 2-3 frames difference, so in saying we did not do a proper test with them against a CRT? correct me if I am wrong here.

Either way, I am not complaining, I just feel that its a bit odd thats all. But I will try it on other CRT and see how it goes.

NINJASOCK!!!!
any news on teh schedule\ timebale or brackets?
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

CrazyMobius

Three claps for technology releasing Monitors that actually work worse than the previous technology. Way to go The World.

fluxcore

99.9% of the world does not give a shit about input delay, and otherwise the input processing is 'better' rather than worse.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

electric

Quote from: fluxcore on July 07, 2010, 08:52:43 AM
99.9% of the world does not give a shit about input delay, and otherwise the input processing is 'better' rather than worse.

And to make things worse, 0.05% only give 1 shit.
"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

CrazyMobius

Quote from: fluxcore on July 07, 2010, 08:52:43 AM

Yay for no foreseeable improvement in the future.

geneterror

Haha Alan I was just about to post that. 99.9% of the world aren't fucking anal frame counting stick ninjas and I imagine don't care about a frame of lag here and there.
For 99.9% of people it's not actually a step backwards, they just want to watch sweet blu-ray movies etc.
I would rather stab myself in the eyes than play on a CRT these days unless the game was designed before HD gaming became the norm ie. games made prior to PS2. Try playing most non-fighting games made now on a CRT and the menus/option text is to small to even read and some games you can't use the map haha.
KOW 2011

fluxcore

Pretty much. What's even worse is that the monitor selection available in NZ is pretty poor compared to somewhere like America - so we only get a subset of the low input delay monitors, which makes it even harder to get them!

I should have also pointed out that 99.9% of this forum didn't know diddly squat about input delay until recently, either :P
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

CrazyMobius

Yeah people weren't really posting stuff about it until recently. Lots of talk about it outside the forums before that but recently it has gotten a lot of exposure online.

electric

Speaking of XLAN, I'm wondering if any of you guys attending can get your hands on one of the "official WCG 2010" monitors they're going to be using and do a lag test

http://playtech.co.nz/afawcs0139235/CATID=257/ID=14232/SID=107854702/productdetails.html

If they're lag free (which I'm skeptical about), it could be a good (albeit, expensive) solution for the people who aren't too stoked with having to use a CRT
"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

fluxcore

From what I can see in reviews it has "almost no input lag" but a review of the P2370 says "average of 1 frame" which is a bit poo - although it's a slightly different model (P2370 vs P2370H)