• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

King Of Fighters 98: Ultimate Match

Started by samurai black, September 30, 2010, 01:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samurai black

so yeah playing this and having fun. why no topic on this game? more to it than i assumed when i first saw it at yifans and wrote it off. this is all shit ive learnt in the few days ive played it.

advance mode
- theyve added the cancelling normals into a forward roll, like in kof xi. bit like fadcs in sf4.
- SDMs can be performed outside of MAX when playing ADVANCE mode. costs an extra stock and is performed with two buttons like KoF 00 and 01. handy if you cant find a chance to break a stock safely

extra mode
- EX mode has this evade cancel thing going on. you cancel whatever normal, into an evade attack which you can combo with a super or whatever. eats up one stock but i havent found a use for this yet, outside of trying to bait guard cancel counter.

- ultimate mode seems kinda dumb to me. its just you picking and choosing what parts of ADVANCE and EXTRA mode you like in regards to meter. evasion tech and movement (dashing or running)

also, sucks that goenitz is banned from tourney play, cause hes the only fun 'boss' character to play. omega rugal and orochi suck balls.

ROCOABC

Didn't even realized its available to play at Yifans.  I've had the PS2 version since launch. 

I tend to go for Advance mode which tends to suit my play style better as I for the life of me can't effective use Extra mode. 

samurai black

well, EX mode doesn't seem as totally bad as it used to be.

ROCOABC

I think its more so the fact Extra mode feels to me to not allow rush down pressure (Thats my opinion of course).  Evade probably overall is a better evasive move than roll but I don't have the patience to sit back and evade all day as I rather roll through attacks.  In saying that I have found that rolling is alot more risky as it doesn't seem to have as much invincibility frame as past KOF games so random rolling will end up getting you kill or thrown.

samurai black

you could always throw people during rolls though. EX can store up to one stock now, so you dont have to break out the panic DMs like before when you managed to charge your bar.