• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

NZ SF scene - Your thoughts.

Started by CrazyMobius, May 24, 2010, 07:49:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inoxx

Lol gave you a game last night CoffinDrop1 and CrazyMobius - was good to play you guys hope you have noticed the difference on my skills :P

Looking for more games tonight, feel free to add me PSN: inoxx10

What's that? You don't want to die? Too late for you, pal. You're a goner!

zos'la

Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

inoxx

Nah mate, wrong noxx i'm inoxx :P

from Auckland btw haha ^^

geneterror

Good to see you here mate. Will accept your friend request tonight and hopefully get some games in with you.
For some reason I can't find much time to get on weeknights lately but I'm on a lot over the weekend.
KOW 2011

inoxx

Quote from: geneterror on June 10, 2010, 10:51:12 AM
Good to see you here mate. Will accept your friend request tonight and hopefully get some games in with you.
For some reason I can't find much time to get on weeknights lately but I'm on a lot over the weekend.

Haha all good bro, but yep if your able to get on tonight give you a challenge :]

DVS

Sup Geneterror, I moved into your hood bro....be keen for  a few games in the weekend if your up for it, Budas just around the corner too.......

Holla if you're free....hadoukens are there for those who are hungry for them
"You'll never survive in the jungle"......

originaljulz

My thoughts on the Street Fighter scene...

Takes too many potential players away from Blazblue :P
HEAVEN OR HELL? DUAL ONE. LETS ROCK!

HoneyBadger

my mum found dark dawn on the DS.

that game is gonna get raped.

MUMMYHALA

originaljulz

Quote from: OLEET on June 27, 2010, 12:39:40 AM
... Do you play at yifans?

Who, me?
Yeah I do but I've moved onto CS and I'm kinda just waiting for arcades to get that in.
HEAVEN OR HELL? DUAL ONE. LETS ROCK!

Cr8zyK1LL3r

Quote from: hydrokinesis on May 24, 2010, 11:32:50 AM
I sometimes feel like I'm really limited in getting as good as the players I admire from our scene (Hue, Andy, Kevin, Jack and Fong in particular), because of these obstacles above in addition to limited time to attend events, my crappy internet at the moment and general life things all of which make it hard to keep up with even the players just starting out.

I've always felt we've got the potential to be every bit as good as the players we look up to for inspiration, be it from the local scene (here's looking at Hue and Jack) and from other aussie, such as Brodsta, Benson, Wing and even the beasts themselves from further abroad Wong and Daigo.

I'd love to hear in particular from Hue and Andy, Jack and Fong to see what steps they can recommend for players such as myself to help get to their level of competition, I'm more than happy to take advice or be tutored by any of the above guys in order to improve, and then to pass on that knowledge to new comers as they move into the scene.

In my opinion, playing offline is the best option for learning/improving. Online is good to kill times but if we want to improve from online games, It will consume too much time compare to offline. 1 good thing about online is that we can learn different match-ups and test out new tricks on players. But it will effect our strategies and game-play overall because online = no risks, people tend to throw out many random/risky moves (for example, myself when i play online) and even if we try not to do it, the opponent might not think the same and throw out random things. So doesn't matter if we win or lose the match, we won't be able to learn much compare to offline by the end of the day.

I think Yifans is a great offline place to play, even better than giga imo. It's true that not everyone of us can spend $20/day just for gaming. And trust me I know exactly how it feels. 2 years ago, when my older brother still in NZ, my allowance was only $100/week including food. so If i spend $10/day on dinner that will leave $30/week which is even less than $5/day for me to play. But because of that, I tend to improve a bit faster than other players. When i play at giga, I feel like there's nothing to lose and I don't concentrate as much and even if i try to concentrate, it just doesn't work or it only work for a short while. While at yifans, my concentration could last up to 3 hours.

I notice when we play at yifans, it feels like every games is a money match, even the bet is small, we have many different reasons to try our best to win the game. For me, the reason is that I don't like waiting. If I lose, someone else will take my place and I have to queue up again to get my revenge and sometimes, I couldn't even get my revenge coz Cody, Andy, Simon finish them off before i get to play them :P. And another reason was the short allowance but that problem is solved now ;D

From my experience, players from Yifans such as Simon, Kevin, Cody, Andy could improve faster than other players because they have to win the game when they play, not just for fun. And the best way to remind ourselves that we have to win the match is betting small money (e.g Yifans $1-2/game). I'm not sure if that how it works for everyone else but I'm pretty sure that is one of the most important factor for me to improve. If i can figure out something else other than that, I will make another post.

For now, there's nothing much we can do until the Yifans scene is back with SSF4. Once SSF4 is released, I highly recommend everyone to go there and try to pick up small mistakes from their gameplays.

CrazyMobius

I totally agree that Yifans is the best place to level up. It helps build not only winning tactics so you don't have to pay/wait but you also learn to deal with pressure and crowds. After a while you can even feed off the crowd to help you win. I feel I am losing my pressure skills a bit now with the lack of arcade play and am certain that it helped me out in the tournament last year.

HoneyBadger

Quote from: CrazyMobius on June 27, 2010, 11:08:58 PM
I totally agree that Yifans is the best place to level up. It helps build not only winning tactics so you don't have to pay/wait but you also learn to deal with pressure and crowds. After a while you can even feed off the crowd to help you win. I feel I am losing my pressure skills a bit now with the lack of arcade play and am certain that it helped me out in the tournament last year.

dw bro I'll just sit behind you every time you play from now on ahahahaha
my mum found dark dawn on the DS.

that game is gonna get raped.

MUMMYHALA

zos'la

I agree with Hue and yes its prolly the $1-$2 that makes most of teh arcade players play at their best most of the time. After every lost you think carefully and try againt, don't rush into the putting in money mode I would have tio say... give other people a go, watch teh match, revise ur lost and try to figure out new tactics and ways to play. If all fails go home and watch some vids^^ and come back and try more. That is how I imporved myself.

Crazymobious,
I feel you and James have somehow stop being competivie? maybe thats not the word to use here... But you both can be a great player if you carry on playing at the lvl you were in back in yifans time when we first met, so keep it up and don't let the boxers scare you away if you think u can not touch them.. they can be beated, just takes time and experience. But when you do you will realize ur gameplay have grown far beyond what you expected.

Moral of the story, don't give up just because of minor obstacles, because its all part of the learning and growing process of being a better player.

CrazyMobius

Quote from: zosla on June 28, 2010, 08:17:15 AM

Crazymobious,
I feel you and James have somehow stop being competivie? maybe thats not the word to use here... But you both can be a great player if you carry on playing at the lvl you were in back in yifans time when we first met, so keep it up and don't let the boxers scare you away if you think u can not touch them.. they can be beated, just takes time and experience. But when you do you will realize ur gameplay have grown far beyond what you expected.

I think it really made a difference having the opportunity to play the top players every week. And in a sense being able to keep up because we were able to see the improvements being made by the others and that forced us to have to improve. But now I really don't know how well others are doing and so it's hard to gauge how much I need to improve. It also doesn't help with so many low level players online.

However I saw that the Super sf4 arcade version is being released soon. That will be good for us AND for Yifans who must be waiting for another $$ injection.

zos'la

Thats right,
for me is not to gauge how well the players has improved... but to supass them no matter what level that have gone up to.
We all stoppped playing at Yifans about the same time, but I have not once let my guard down to imrpove, I always tell myself that I need more and more, so when it comes, I will be able to perform well no matter how strong the opponent is and how much they have improved as I would have imporved more than they have expected.