• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

Newbies: feel free to ask for help! We can do training sessions online as well!

Main Menu

NZism Super Street Fighter IV 3v3 Team Tournament! Saturday the 26th of June!

Started by Lennysaurus, June 05, 2010, 02:41:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cr8zyK1LL3r

hmm..... I will be honest. Same strength matches would be cool to watch but i'd focus on quality rather than quantity.

1. IF we REALLY want to help the community to get STRONGER, then i think it's about time to stop being Mr.Nice Guy and we should encourage everyone to play at "higher level" instead of "same level". Sure you play tougher opponents, u will have higher chance of losing but maybe you will learn something from the intense fight.

2. However, IF we just want people to have fun, Then we should let the players to vote for themselves. If the majority doesn't want it to be "winner stay on style". Then it's all good. The majority will be happy and the minority won't be satisfied but who cares about the minority. It's impossible to satisfy every single person in the world anyway.

Finally, I've just combined both 1 & 2 as my suggestion. As a player, I'm voting for "winner stay on" (2) and also, I would like to see people leveling up (1).

Back to a few week ago, James's made a post mentioned that he wanted to improve and asked US to give players advices. And I know that not many top players in NZ active on the forum. I've been talking to them and have a lot discussion about these issues. I'm not that great of a player but for those who wants to take on my advise:

"The first thing that you need to do, is trying to understand the concept of challenges. Rather than blindly practicing the whole day and when it comes to tournament, u just want some "same skill" matches. This is the real world, not some fantasy games. If you want to improve, there's no easy road. After understanding that concept, your REAL training will begin"

Again, that's solely my opinion. You don't have to go along with it. Maybe you have your own method and maybe you will beast everyone else "someday".

HoneyBadger

Yeah I reckon Mikado is all good if we get to switch members around before each match and after a loss, especially if Team BIRRY WONG has BIRRY WONG as an anchor to challenge team tauranga and friends with The Milky Bar Kid as an anchor. Personally though I don't really mind getting smashed and OCV'd by a beast. DAIIIIGOOOOO  8)
my mum found dark dawn on the DS.

that game is gonna get raped.

MUMMYHALA

geneterror

Can we be diplomatic and just start a poll or something that runs 'til this Sunday or something like that. Let the people/community decide for themselves, majority rules yo!
KOW 2011

geneterror

Quote from: Cr8zyK1LL3r on June 17, 2010, 10:47:34 AM
1. IF we REALLY want to help the community to get STRONGER, then i think it's about time to stop being Mr.Nice Guy and we should encourage everyone to play at "higher level" instead of "same level". Sure you play tougher opponents, u will have higher chance of losing but maybe you will learn something from the intense fight.
I agree with this. I know Hue wasn't feeling well at last Ranbats but for me even though I lost that was my best match of the night because I feel like I learnt the most from that one. I have no problem losing to people better than me because it makes me better and work harder to win.

Also I didn't see Hue's post about voting when I made mine, but I think it's a good idea.
KOW 2011

fluxcore

The weaker players will still have to play the stronger players if they win against the other weaker players, as long as the stronger players in the team lose to the opponent's stronger players. But I suppose it's true that they won't HAVE to play the better players, as long as their other team members do their job as well.

Basically in mikado, if all your team members win their matches then the weaker players miss out on playing the stronger players. So I agree, if all we want is to see strong players smash weak players in competition then winner stays on is great. If we want to see some closer games then Mikado seems to make some sense.

Personally I think the real way to level up is to have the stronger players play weaker players in casuals and give them tips, rather than only amongst themselves. But that's just me. The only people that are really going to level up hard in a 1-game tournament are going to be sufficiently good that they won't need the help anyway, meanwhile everyone else will just get smashed.

It's not like there aren't going to be tournaments where people get to play against the stronger players anyway, for instance every 2nd week's ranbats.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

CrazyMobius

Anyone up for a random select money match?

Cr8zyK1LL3r

Quote from: CrazyMobius on June 17, 2010, 11:10:31 AM
Anyone up for a random select money match?
Might as well bring a pack of card there and play poker or blackjack to earn some money, would be more fun than a random select money match. lol

massi4h

No one beats me at random select. $20 first to 5?

Also on topic: I still think changing players is better for getting everyone a turn. If you put your best guy last and both your other players lose then you can OCV them. If you want to OCV a team Hue you can ask your teammates to throw their matches lol.

But yeah team order should be double blind and if best of 3 losers can change their team order if we decide to do Mikado.

HoneyBadger

my mum found dark dawn on the DS.

that game is gonna get raped.

MUMMYHALA

Rorooze

Quote from: Cr8zyK1LL3r on June 17, 2010, 10:47:34 AM

You do realise the fortnightly ranbats were seeded (not exactly seeded, but close enough) so the best players in the community play against the lesser skilled opponents first? Personally I think it's pretty counter productive putting the lesser skilled players in the community against the best people at an event which is meant to build the scene, cause getting beasted can be pretty off putting at times. Obviously with double elimination the scrubs will go to losers bracket to play against each other first, which is good, because then they've got to win to stay in the ranbats. I just can't see how you've got the opinion you have.

About scrubs playing the best players, I used to be pretty top tier at quakeworld/quake3 so here is an analogy using quakeworld.

If I was playing 1v1 and I killed someone once on pretty much any of the competitive 1v1 maps, they would pretty much never get to move more than 10 steps before they were dead, sometimes they would die the instant they came back to life. How? Because I knew the sequence of where the enemy players would respawn after the first kill. It was retarded. I could rack up scores of 80-0 in 10 minute games against people who knew the basics of the game but hadn't played too much. Even against good players I could get scores of 30+ - 0. Basically as soon as they die, it's pretty much over, they don't even get to move. How could someone in that situation learn anything about the game?

Sometimes I feel the same when someone gets a knockdown on my character in street fighter, once I'm down, I can't do shit and I get knockdown down again. Then I can't learn anything. The only thing I learn is to not get knocked down in the first place. lol. Easier said then done I suppose. Hopefully you see what I'm getting at?

I'm not even going to bother talking about tournament format. lol.

Cr8zyK1LL3r

Quote from: massi4h on June 17, 2010, 12:20:21 PM
No one beats me at random select. $20 first to 5?
let's do it Mason. winner will get $20 from the loser BUT the winner has to buy a drink for the loser. Just a friendly money match ^_^

Cr8zyK1LL3r

Quote from: Rorooze on June 17, 2010, 12:47:10 PM
Sometimes I feel the same when someone gets a knockdown on my character in street fighter, once I'm down, I can't do shit and I get knockdown down again. Then I can't learn anything. The only thing I learn is to not get knocked down in the first place. lol. Easier said then done I suppose. Hopefully you see what I'm getting at?

If that's the only thing you learn then too bad, it's not the right thing that u need to learn.
Everyone will get knockdown once or twice in a round EVEN Daigo cannot avoid that. The thing that you really need to learn is WHAT TO DO after being knockdown. And again, if you "can't do shit" after a knockdown then you should think harder about WHAT TO DO. Rather than: "I will defeat everyone without being knockdown even once"

geneterror

Actually I can totally see Hue's point with that one.

This is gonna have to get moved to strats soon ;)
KOW 2011

zos'la

Quote from: Rorooze on June 17, 2010, 12:47:10 PM
You do realise the fortnightly ranbats were seeded (not exactly seeded, but close enough) so the best players in the community play against the lesser skilled opponents first? Personally I think it's pretty counter productive putting the lesser skilled players in the community against the best people at an event which is meant to build the scene, cause getting beasted can be pretty off putting at times. Obviously with double elimination the scrubs will go to losers bracket to play against each other first, which is good, because then they've got to win to stay in the ranbats. I just can't see how you've got the opinion you have.

About scrubs playing the best players, I used to be pretty top tier at quakeworld/quake3 so here is an analogy using quakeworld.

If I was playing 1v1 and I killed someone once on pretty much any of the competitive 1v1 maps, they would pretty much never get to move more than 10 steps before they were dead, sometimes they would die the instant they came back to life. How? Because I knew the sequence of where the enemy players would respawn after the first kill. It was retarded. I could rack up scores of 80-0 in 10 minute games against people who knew the basics of the game but hadn't played too much. Even against good players I could get scores of 30+ - 0. Basically as soon as they die, it's pretty much over, they don't even get to move. How could someone in that situation learn anything about the game?

I'm not even going to bother talking about tournament format. lol.

Note, this is no way being rude.

but if the quake example is true... that person is a no brainer. I too play high lv fps games before and I mean atleast top 3 in NZ for CS. If you can't even learn to understand the game after dieing that many times then u're pretty much should give up coz u're not putting any effort in teh first place to use some brain juice for the game.
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

fluxcore

Quake is a bit different to CS in that regard. You really can kill them pretty much every time as they spawn and there is fuck all they can do about it.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness