• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

DID YOU SEE THAT? That was the DAMAGER!

Main Menu

NZ SSF4 National Tournament Commentator !!

Started by Cr8zyK1LL3r, July 12, 2010, 01:49:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

[8-----D] Toots

Quote from: massi4h on July 13, 2010, 11:02:06 AM

Tbh I was quite mad when the crowd started yelling "Super" in the EVO APAC qualifier to me against Kevin, which only helped keep him aware that I was trying to set it up. People could be near Ultra and trying to do a focus dash setup (like Chun through a fireball) and if the commentators/crowd yell that out it gives an unfair advantage to the other player. Also can't say, "his Ryu now has 2 bars and Ultra, I think he will mash it through that block string."

This is something you just have to get over and in all honesty do you think Kevin isn't that aware while he is playing??? I'm pretty sure he would have been thinking about your super before any of the crowd yelled it out.

I agree that the commentators shouldn't be calling strats while a gaming is being played

zos'la

yes and that is one of the key points in commentating, u must be neutral at all times and becareful in what ur commenting on. Its a skill and its not easy.

Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Can the American ones hear it? Cos they aint neutral. They always going for the underdog.
Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

Cr8zyK1LL3r

Quote from: massi4h on July 13, 2010, 11:02:06 AM
Tbh I was quite mad when the crowd started yelling "Super" in the EVO APAC qualifier to me against Kevin, which only helped keep him aware that I was trying to set it up. People could be near Ultra and trying to do a focus dash setup (like Chun through a fireball) and if the commentators/crowd yell that out it gives an unfair advantage to the other player. Also can't say, "his Ryu now has 2 bars and Ultra, I think he will mash it through that block string."

So if the players can hear the commentators, definitely not keen for them to give out important information, gotta be careful with their words.

Tbh, I have to agree with Smoff and Ben comments. Even if the crowd didn't yell out "Super", Kevin would avoid your ultra/super while closing his eyes anyway. But if you vs someone else who is new to ssf4, then maybe you are right. It will make them aware of your super/ultra when they hear it.

And I agree with Mason that commentator should not give out too much information especially the player's style. For example, It's not right to say: "Andy is playing very defensive right now and he loves spamming out dp during block string especially with 2 ex bars so player A need to be careful about that". But it's okay to say: "Ryu now has 2 ex bars and he can DP cancel into ultra anytime so let see what player A can do to take Andy down."

I think it would be nice if we have 2 commentators on the main setup. (1 can be the strategic one who understands the game pretty well and the other one can give funny comments to entertain the crowd: "RUN STOP STFU").

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

If you cant tune out the crowd, or feed of of the crowd, then maybe you should just stick to playing online at home. And realistically, if what your trying to do is obvious to the crowd, then its probably obvious to whoever youre playing against. The crowd yelling "SUPER" when you have meter imo doesnt make a lick of difference. Complaining about that tbh is fucking stupid, and Mason should be ashamed.

Even talking about a players style i think is ok. If i say "Andy is playing defensively atm" i think thats fine. The ONLY thing commentators need to be weary of is pre-emptively revealing specific strats/patterns that may not have been spotted by their opponent.

Example: If a commentator says "Hues mixup pattern is flame kick, flame kick, thunder knuckle. He is probably going to go for that now."
If the players can hear that, then its giving Hue a disadvantage.

Commentators should be commenting on the match AS it happens, or HOW its happened.

Example: "Omg Hue goes for a flame kick....OMG ANOTHER FLAME KICK.......THUNDER KNUCKLE!!! Hue's aggressive mixups are all over [Player 2]!!!"
Is totally fine.

If Mason comes back and says 'thats what happened at xlan', then fuck off. Yelling something that is already on the screen (ie 'SUPER' when a player has meter) is fine. If someone says "STOP THROWING FIREBALLS! HE IS TRYING TO BUILD UP HIS ULTRA" that is a bit worse, but even THAT is borderline.

The 2nd option is what i would call 'realtime coaching'. Which imo should be disallowed. Its like, for example, when a crowd member walks up and gives a player specific advice during a match. In a team setting this is fine (assuming they are on the same team). BETWEEN GAMES is also fine but a 1v1 match should be [Player 1] vs [Player 2], NOT [Player 1 and friends] vs [Player 2]. Note that this is NOT the same as yelling 'SUPER' or 'HE HAS GOT METER FOR FADC'. Both of those are public information that you can CLEARLY SEE on screen. Its NOT revealing a strat, it is highlighting something obvious.

There is A LOT of grey area when youre talking about this kind of thing though. And it could be argued over for ages. I have to say, commentary would be AWESOME for the match videos, but live commentary that the audience and players can hear causes a lot of issues with those of us that are little bitches. I personally think that some people should harden the fuck up. Even the coaching thing that i am not a fan of isnt really a big issue. As far as im concerned its just another variable you need to think about when youre playing.

<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

massi4h

Well my example was I was going to super demon a jumpin on him over a fireball and as soon as everyone yelled out to me to do the raging demon he stopped jumping. Sometimes people don't pick up stuff straight away. The opponent isn't always watching your meter and if you're just slightly off having ultra or super or something they're most likely not gonna notice at that quick half a second or so. Well this kind of applies more when the opponent doesn't know the matchup as well or not too used to it. I don't think it's fair to say that Akuma's Ultra is one of the best anti-airs, so then my opponent avoids the jumpin they were about to do cause either they weren't completely thinking about it. I dunno I guess I'm just being a bitch. If I wanna carry on the CS argument, it extends to dead teammates not being allowed to say anything. This could be telling them there is a kit behind them to defuse and win the round or an awp to get for next round.

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Quote from: massi4h on July 13, 2010, 03:15:28 PM
Well my example was I was going to super demon a jumpin on him over a fireball and as soon as everyone yelled out to me to do the raging demon he stopped jumping. Sometimes people don't pick up stuff straight away. The opponent isn't always watching your meter and if you're just slightly off having ultra or super or something they're most likely not gonna notice at that quick half a second or so. Well this kind of applies more when the opponent doesn't know the matchup as well or not too used to it. I don't think it's fair to say that Akuma's Ultra is one of the best anti-airs, so then my opponent avoids the jumpin they were about to do cause either they weren't completely thinking about it. I dunno I guess I'm just being a bitch. If I wanna carry on the CS argument, it extends to dead teammates not being allowed to say anything. This could be telling them there is a kit behind them to defuse and win the round or an awp to get for next round.

You had super. It showed this ON SCREEN. If you didnt have super, and someone said 'build meter and then super him when he jumps over a fireball' THEN there are issues. What was being yelled was obvious information. You have absolutely no idea what kevin was thinking at the time, and it wouldnt matter if you did. Your point is moot.

And that CS argument doesnt really apply. If it was clear information where the kit was (eg. a big fuckoff pillar of blue light with 'SUPER' written on it, jutting out of the middle of the screen or something) THEN they should be allowed to say whatever the hell they want about it. Its public info. If the kit is hidden, and not obvious, (as it is in your example) then the talking shoud be disallowed.

But even then, whats stopping the other team doing the same thing? Like i said, it becomes another variable. Even if this meant one player suicides at the start of the match so that he can reveal the locations of the enemy team, its not an UNFAIR advantage, since the same thing is available to the other team. It becomes public info in this case. All this has done really is change the dynamic of the game a bit.

Like i say, theres a lot of grey area here. You think one thing, I think another. I dont think either one of us is right or wrong. But one is certainly more of a pansy than the other one.
<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

samurai black

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

HoneyBadger

I think most of the shit is fine, winning because someone did something dumb or has shitty matchup knowledge feels like a pretty gay way to win. Relying on inexperience or lack of game knowledge is one of the things that will stop our community growing and make our videos look low tier. Imo we want to share as much shit around as we can and should be less focused on simply winning a tournament rather than producing the highest quality matches possible, gimmicks are cool, but when you need to rely on them to win I think it lowers the quality of matches and the expectations of international players. I think if a player is good enough to incorporate seconds old game knowledge into a tournament he should be allowed.
my mum found dark dawn on the DS.

that game is gonna get raped.

MUMMYHALA

[NIUE] Optimus DAVE

The New Generation Clockw0rk

Cr8zyK1LL3r

Quote from: [FSR] BIRRY WONG on July 13, 2010, 03:02:51 PM
Example: If a commentator says "Hues mixup pattern is flame kick, flame kick, thunder knuckle. He is probably going to go for that now."
If the players can hear that, then its giving Hue a disadvantage.

Commentators should be commenting on the match AS it happens, or HOW its happened.

The 2nd option is what i would call 'realtime coaching'. Which imo should be disallowed. Its like, for example, when a crowd member walks up and gives a player specific advice during a match. In a team setting this is fine (assuming they are on the same team). BETWEEN GAMES is also fine but a 1v1 match should be [Player 1] vs [Player 2], NOT [Player 1 and friends] vs [Player 2]. Note that this is NOT the same as yelling 'SUPER' or 'HE HAS GOT METER FOR FADC'. Both of those are public information that you can CLEARLY SEE on screen. Its NOT revealing a strat, it is highlighting something obvious.

I think Bill is right. The only thing i need to clarify in Bill sentences is that even yelling out what we are going to do next doesn't give opponent the advantage to be honest. BECAUSE WE ARE PLAYERS, NOT CPU, we can change our pattern ANYTIME. If the commentator says "Hues mixup pattern is flame kick, flame kick, thunder knuckle. He is probably going to go for that now." That is totally fine with me to be honest. If player A can hear that, I can hear that as well and I can change my strategies coz I know Player A is so scared of that move now, so i can go for something else and surprise him even more. And THUS, we can turn that "disadvantage" into our Advantage.

Argue another 100 pages and It will all come down to player's strategies and how quickly we can adapt to it in the end. And if I still don't change my pattern after knowing my opponent has already been aware of that THEN I'm deserved to lose.

Mason, if you think you lose that match against Kevin just because somebody yelled "SUPER" then trust me, it's not. Kevin is not some random players, he can see what's coming next even when it's NOT on the screen. The moment you picked Akuma, he has already registered your ultra/super into his strategies.

And CS is a different game already so we will discuss about it when our community plays CS in tournament. But let's focus on SSF4 for now so that we don't have to talk about everything in the universe later on.

I also totally agree with Bill that in 1 vs 1 spectators SHOULD NOT COMMUNICATE with players while they are playing in the game or even between matches. It's cheating as you are using more than 2 brains & 4 eyes to spot player weaknesses while the other player only has himself to figure out your weaknesses.

And If it's in team tournament, i think it should be fine to do so because we are supposed to work AS A TEAM. HOWEVER, I also think yelling out loud: "NICE" / "VERY GOOD" while sitting behind your opponents in a team battle is cheating. When i see it, I can't help but think those people are trying to put more pressure on the opponent rather than supporting their teammates. If spectators are impressed by certain things and everyone yell out: "NICE" then i can understand. Letting it slips through our mouth once or twice in a match is fine, but i think there's some problems with those that repeat it at least 3 times every rounds.

In my opinion, We probably need to set up some rules in this specific area as our tournaments are getting bigger & we are moving to a more professional style. And Commentators should be allowed to say whatever HAS already happened & Is Happening on screen and since they are not oracles, saying what they think about to happen is fine imo. Just don't spot out player weaknesses, styles, strategies is fine. for example: "Blanka is having ultra now, I think he's going to release it soon" is ok (not yet happened and MAYBE it will happen), "Player A is having ultra now, he loves doing the cross-up ultra after throwing the opponent down" is not okay. (Reveal player style, strategy)

I think we should have a few commentators at our 3 vs 3 first and listen to people opinions about them. If commentators are not wanted, then it's still not too late to cancel this option at the National.

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Hue has this shit down.

But yea, i think a lot of people are going to be fine with one thing, and unhappy about something else, and other people will dislike things that other people like, and there just isnt going to be an end to it.

Its something worth trying
<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

[NIUE] weazzyefff

I'm just gonna stand behind them and go 'Oh he's mashing, he's mashing' or 'Oh he's winding up the grab' or 'this guys not doing any os safe jumps' LMFAO!

Quote from: [FSR] BIRRY WONG on July 13, 2010, 05:44:55 PM
Hue has this shit down.

But yea, i think a lot of people are going to be fine with one thing, and unhappy about something else, and other people will dislike things that other people like, and there just isnt going to be an end to it.

Its something worth trying

You could end it by not having commentary. Again, i don't care, but i'm just saying. Don't wana piss people off for no reason really.
Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

Lennysaurus

Im of the opinion that anything goes.  As per the NZism rules, provided you are not physically touching the person to put them off, or I guess yelling in their ear, anything goes.

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero