• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

PS3 vs XBOX lag test

Started by Lennysaurus, July 29, 2010, 10:53:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lennysaurus

So it has been tested and confirmed that of the 2 consoles the XBOX lags least.  When the game is played on the same TV/Monitors  it has shown that the PS3 lags a full frame more than the XBOX version.  This could explain why some people were having trouble on the GIGA setups as well.

Here are the links to the guys on SRK that did the test:
http://shoryuken.com/f177/ps3-360-sf4-system-lag-what-definitive-answer-231128/index3.html#post8829089
http://shoryuken.com/f177/ps3-360-sf4-system-lag-what-definitive-answer-231128/index2.html#post8666219
http://shoryuken.com/f177/ps3-360-sf4-system-lag-what-definitive-answer-231128/#post8663404

Thoughts?

EDIT: Need to install me some photoshop and start drawing some premium graphs.

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

zos'la

I would take the vielix setup japanese arcade as the center line then go from there.
If what is said to be true which I also believe so with teh xbox360 being supperior in speed then we need to find a monitor which is suitable for this also to try and replica this setup as close as possible accordign to our budget? which we have NONE LOL.

P.S I've always found the PS3 slower than the xbox360 sicne the first day I played at Ben's place and then went to Giga... and even at Giga changing from the ps3 setup to teh xbox setup it feels slower, so I am pretty confident the test is pretty accurate IMO.
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

CrazyMobius

Quote from: [FSR] Lenny on July 29, 2010, 10:53:35 AM

Thoughts?

Maybe let Sony know? There isn't much users can do about it.

zos'la

ouch Bill, that face must hurt ><

Pjai

Quote from: CrazyMobius on July 29, 2010, 01:20:56 PM
Maybe let Sony know? There isn't much users can do about it.

It's probably more to do with Capcom than Sony. Then again, you probably get the same issue with all cross platform games but 90% of the time it doesnt really matter. And in that 10%, 80% of the users probably wouldnt care

However, I am curious on how did he measure the 4 and 5 frame delay on each console? I could understand that he could detect an 1 frame difference between the consoles quite easily. I am quite suprised by a 4 frame lag in the console itself, tats like 70ms?  thats like the time it takes to send a packet of data to a server in NZ over NZ Adsl connection and back.

electric

From what I understand (admittedly, not that much) it's definitely more of a hardware issue (Sony) than a software issue (Capcom)

The PS3 scales their video output via software, whereas the 360 has a built in hardware video scaler - now because the PS3 is technically superior in terms of CPU power, they managed to produce something comparable to the 360's hardware upscaler via software - and since everyone knows that the PS3 is ridiculously priced as it is, any hardware they can leave out is a cost they don't need to pay for, or worse, make the consumer pay for.

Basically:

360 = slower CPU, but better video scaling abilities
PS3 = faster CPU, which lets them get away with video scaling that's fine 90% of the time

Of course, I could just be making this all up.
"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

Pjai

maybe, but i still think things could be more optimised if the game was solely written for a single platform. O well, i m making up shits also hahaa.

B BOY DRAW2

I bliss...like the fist...of the mantis...
Those who oppose get dropped and hit the canvas.

fluxcore

I question the scientific method, but not the conclusion

ho ho ho
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

zos'la

you can never press teh button at teh same time unless it was computer controlled timing.

Rorooze

should have used programmable controllers but the result would have been the same

^_^

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

^Yea. Programmable controller or otherwise, result wouldve been almost identical.
<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

electric

Terribly unscientific method as the XBOX homo's army has stated... HDMI on the PS3 for one is a crock of shit

In saying that, I don't doubt the legitimacy of these lag claims - PS3 sucks nuts for Street Fighter 4 on anything other than a CRT. Plain and simple.
"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.