• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

Foul Language :)

Started by zos'la, August 19, 2010, 02:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyMobius

That was probably when Lenny first got his powers. He used to close every second thread at that time lol.

fluxcore

Unfortunately that explanation hasn't really helped my reach any conclusion :/

Personally, this is one of the least moderated boards I've ever seen, and from my perspective it's starting to be detrimental. I'm open to suggestions though.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

Hydro

Quote from: fluxcore on August 20, 2010, 07:31:42 AM
Unfortunately that explanation hasn't really helped my reach any conclusion :/

Personally, this is one of the least moderated boards I've ever seen, and from my perspective it's starting to be detrimental. I'm open to suggestions though.

I'm happy to mod if it's a matter of numbers. :)

fluxcore

Well, what I mean is, am I wrong in thinking it needs more moderation? Maybe I just need to not read the forum at all and the majority would be happier, hard to know.

Basically, do other people agree with me that things need to be tightened up a bit? Or should complete misinformation and dickish posts just be given carte blanche?
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

Lennysaurus

Quote from: CrazyMobius on August 20, 2010, 07:19:03 AM
That was probably when Lenny first got his powers. He used to close every second thread at that time lol.

Hey!!!  I dont think I've actually ever closed a thread. LOL.

YOU DARE TO DEFY ME SIMON!!!! I AM LENNY THE OMNIPOTENT MOD!!! TREMBLE IN FEAR AT MY GLORY AND KNOW THAT THE FATE OF EVERY POST IS AT MY MERCY!!! HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! /evil

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

electric

Unfortunately Flux, I don't know whether there's a clear way around it... you have a couple of options, which are both fairly detrimental...

a) Leave the board as is - very lightly moderated, people talk smack, post useless, uninformative shit which gets in the way of the good stuff and it's generally a bit of a mess for everyone (posters, readers, question askers... basically the entire forum target audience)

b) Start moderating heavily - it cleans up the fluff and keeps useful information at the fore, but obviously it creates a bit of a "community hierarchy" - and in a community like ours, I think that could be perceived as a bad thing... People don't like "the man" - they'd rather lash out than be humble and realise that whatever got policed is actually not just for their own good, but for the good of everyone else.

It's a hard line - I've said it here before, but I moderate the Serato DJ forums as a part of my job description, and we take the hands off approach. We have a few simple rules (no advertising, be nice to others, don't post contact details and don't try pass yourself off as a Serato employee/partner) that people agree to, and generally... they do - when they don't, we give them a slap on the wrist, but if they keep being silly, we ban them - but I think the key difference between here and there is that I (as a Serato Employee) actually HAVE that hierarchical advantage over them - I work directly for the company which provides them their community - which people respect.

Users love the ability to post what they want, when they want - it's one of the reasons why the Serato Forums are the best in the DJ industry - Pioneer over moderate, DJ Forums is the GameFAQS of DJing, and a lot of others fall into a similar trap.

In short... I really don't know - I'm not calling you out Andy, but since this topic is mostly about you, I'll give you my personal opinion of why EVERY DAY there's a new argument - with you involved.

You. Are. Too. Cocky.

New Zealanders don't tolerate cockiness well - it's why we fucking hate Australians - you are a great player... OBVIOUSLY one of the best in the scene at the moment. Does this give you the right to flaunt your shit ? Sure... SHOULD you flaunt your shit ? Fuck no. Richie McCaw is the best open side flanker in the world, but he's the most down to earth nigga on the planet because that's how New Zealanders are raised.

I respect you as a player, but as a member of this community, you make so much shit a hell of a lot more difficult than it needs to be. Like I said, I'm not calling you out - I don't want another MM thread to be spawned from this or anything stupid like that, but I hope you take one point away from my post - I'd personally like to see you stay here because of your Street Fighter talent IF you can take a moment to look at yourself and realise how much of a burden you are here on the forums.

Please excuse the mega-rant :/ I hope I made BIRRY WONG proud
"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

Rorooze

I think most of the hate directed at zosla is because 1) English isn't his first langauge, 2) He contridicts himself all the time when arguing.

It's what the ignore function is for. Use it. :)

If an arguement breaks out just put it into another thread like the 100 lag threads we've had.

zos'la

@electric,
If you have met me just when I started on this forum then u would know what I was like, I am not a cocky person, in fact I was very humble with everything espceically when it comes to SF talks as I do not know the actually DETAIL bits and peices that every other people on this forum read about and I ALWAYS take peoples views and advice.
Later I found it doesn't work, when U try to explain things and why u do them, u get flamed and bitched at, u try to help the community and people take it for granted and give u shit after. You don't know half the story mate, but lets put it this way, a lot of this stuff I do it on purpose because these people did it to me in the first place and I don't stand here and take shit. People don't talk shit to me then I won't talk shit to them, simple.
btw, I don't expect you to know me well, but for those who did :)

Forums are for dicussions, hence people can post their views and such, which sometimes cause debating over a topic or sometimes getting into an arguement but this is all part of what forums are about.

@Rorooze,
I agree English may not be my first language but contridicting myself? maybe from your perspective, maybe try reading the sentence a few more times, it might help. Anyways, best way is set me to ignore^^ then no grief to u people. ya?
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

fluxcore

Electric:

Thanks for that, really good post. I'll have a little think, but I think the best plan of actions is to come up with a clear set of rules so that people know where they stand - there's really nothing like that at the moment. These are basically going to be 'anything goes except some extreme cases', so I noone needs to worry about there being a sudden lockdown on all trash talk or anything - the fighting game community is pretty much founded on trash talk! But there are limits.

And I agree wholeheartedly with respect to your points on Andy, and that's pretty much what I was trying to say but I tend to run out of tact after a long period of time dealing with the same issues over and over.

Quote from: zosla on August 20, 2010, 09:20:48 AM
A lot of this stuff I do it on purpose because these people did it to me in the first place and I don't stand here and take shit. People don't talk shit to me then I won't talk shit to them, simple.

Well stop it, because it's fucking annoying and dragging the entire place down. You have no idea how much flak you take because of it, although I'm sure you don't actually care. As for the the 'did it to me in the first place, don't talk shit to me then I won't talk shit to them', that's pretty funny because I feel exactly the same way. And despite your standpoint, I *do* hold the power here and I *can* make you stop, many people have even suggested doing just that, but for some reason I keep on giving you more chances. Just think about that sometime and decide whether it's really worth causing trouble just to be a dick.

zos'la

@Alan,
U still dun get the point do u? Dude, look in the mirrior and u might find ur answer.
If someone don't respect me and trash talk to me in teh first place, why do I have to respect them?
Now ur blaming me for dragging this place down? thats funny, I am sure there are more users here since I started.
Do you really think you had what it takes to bring the community to what it is now? NO, because it was handful of people here who used their own personal time to organize events and tournaments, running around the who of Auckland finding sponsors, seeking venues for better deals and I was one of them. I am not asking for anything in return but some users on this forum are teh type to TALK SHIT, in return I do the same, this is the internet, its full of shit and I don't take it personally most of the time.
Just look at how I am with Bill, he always talk shit blah blah, but in RL we are all good, we don't take it personally. I am not expecting you to be the same but it seems like u are like, " I don't like it, I will use my power to enforce it".

well BAN me if you like.

CrazyMobius

I think if people are humble then other people won't trash talk them because they will respect them.

Hydro

Quote from: CrazyMobius on August 20, 2010, 10:17:02 AM
I think if people are humble then other people won't trash talk them because they will respect them.

Indeed. Look at Kevin. Or Simonfish. Or Munta. Or Fong. Or Jack. Or Rumble. Or Unbeliever. Or and most especially Brodsta. . .  the list goes on. I got so much respect for all of these cats cause they're as humble as momma's apple pie as well as being among the best players in oz/nz, and you know what, it's because (most especially) they don't see themselves as being 'better' than anyone outside of the game, I'm talking out here in Ego-land RL.

I'm trying to walk the same path myself now after a real bad outlook last year in particular towards many of my rivals here, and honestly it's done wonders for me personally both as a fellow player/competitor and for the stress levels too.

I know this is kinda OT but wanted to stress my agreement with Som's post. Hard.

fluxcore

There's definitely no connection between 'respect as a player' and 'respect as a person', and I think people would do well to bear that in mind... so yeah, this is me agreeing too.

zos'la

Quote from: Hydrokinetic on August 20, 2010, 10:41:34 AM
Indeed. Look at Kevin. Or Simonfish. Or Munta. Or Fong. Or Jack. Or Rumble. Or Unbeliever. Or and most especially Brodsta. . .  the list goes on. I got so much respect for all of these cats cause they're as humble as momma's apple pie as well as being among the best players in oz/nz, and you know what, it's because (most especially) they don't see themselves as being 'better' than anyone outside of the game, I'm talking out here in Ego-land RL.

I'm trying to walk the same path myself now after a real bad outlook last year in particular towards many of my rivals here, and honestly it's done wonders for me personally both as a fellow player/competitor and for the stress levels too.

I know this is kinda OT but wanted to stress my agreement with Som's post. Hard.

I realize u have change significately and I can see it is doing u very well.

u should reconsider that list of humble people.

anyways, the whole point of this thread was that I got a warning for posting a reply to Bill's comment" Fuck tier, I don't care lol"  or somewhere on the line of that... which I find ridiculous :)

fluxcore

Yeah it was quite a different post to that actually, but reposting what you ACTUALLY said here would completely remove the point of modding it in the first place.