• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

Discipline. Justice. Commitment.

Main Menu

Foul Language :)

Started by zos'la, August 19, 2010, 02:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

originaljulz

So is the big hoo hah here about someone saying fuck? Because I've seen you say fuck in threads before, flux
HEAVEN OR HELL? DUAL ONE. LETS ROCK!

fluxcore

Read the 4th post in this thread.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

B BOY DRAW2

Quote from: Hydrokinetic on August 20, 2010, 10:41:34 AM
Indeed. Look at Kevin. Or Simonfish. Or Munta. Or Fong. Or Jack. Or Rumble. Or Unbeliever. Or and most especially Brodsta. . .  the list goes on. I got so much respect for all of these cats cause they're as humble as momma's apple pie as well as being among the best players in oz/nz, and you know what, it's because (most especially) they don't see themselves as being 'better' than anyone outside of the game, I'm talking out here in Ego-land RL.

I'm trying to walk the same path myself now after a real bad outlook last year in particular towards many of my rivals here, and honestly it's done wonders for me personally both as a fellow player/competitor and for the stress levels too.

I know this is kinda OT but wanted to stress my agreement with Som's post. Hard.

Top post right there...

I think some of the problems may be that all you guys know each other TOO well...
Like this forum is cool...but people take things to heart as if this forum was their entire life.
Zolsa is a good player...and being cocky maybe a mind game that helps him play better than some others...but no one can tell him to change! that's his call.

I met Simonfish for the first time the day before APAC. That dude was cocky as hell!!! but to be honest...he backed it up.
And the next day I met Zosla and he was the same. But that day those two guys helped my game. I took on board all the shit I did and didn't want to hear...and tried to put it to good use.
End of the day...it was MY OPTION to take all the that shit onboard or ignore it and then decide what to do with it.

I see what you're trying to do here Flux...and it's cool! it means you care.
Like you don't need to "Dr. Phil" the forum...but I think you need to accept that you cannot change Zosla.

You guys just know each other way too well.

oh...shout out to Munta who I also met for the first time at APAC...top bloke  :)
I bliss...like the fist...of the mantis...
Those who oppose get dropped and hit the canvas.

geneterror

My mind is blown. The absolute levels of retardness of the whole thread :o

Quote from: electric on August 20, 2010, 08:36:36 AMa) Leave the board as is - very lightly moderated, people talk smack, post useless, uninformative shit which gets in the way of the good stuff and it's generally a bit of a mess for everyone (posters, readers, question askers... basically the entire forum target audience)
I like this option ;D yeah there is some good stuff if you want to read it but really if you're looking for the technical fighting game stuff you gonna be on sites like SRK/Dustloop etc for that alreay anyway. This is the community side of it for NZ. I think of it (this forum) like all of us standing around Giga talking mad shit and having retarded conversations amongst the good stuff. That's what makes it a community.
KOW 2011

fluxcore

The problem is that it's almost exclusively trash talk now, and some fairly long term members aren't really keen on posting or contributing anymore because of all the garbage posts. I can only imagine how terrible this forum looks to someone who isn't familiar with our scene, and that's really not good.

One proposal is to make the tournament and fighting game boards reasonably heavily modded, so no offtopic, trash talk or otherwise crap posts will be allowed in there, but all the other boards are totally fair game (so Yifans and PSN can go back to taking their rightful place as the dumps of this forum :))
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

geneterror

Yeah that's cool and I completely understand. I just want the social side to stay ;D

I just don't want the forum to turn into a strategy guide, game releases and tier lists which is what it feels like if all the personality gets moderated out like some other forums. This is one of only a few forums I go to regularly along with punkas.com because I actually know a lot of the people outside of the forum.
KOW 2011

maelgrim

Quote from: fluxcore on August 20, 2010, 03:05:53 PM
One proposal is to make the tournament and fighting game boards reasonably heavily modded, so no offtopic, trash talk or otherwise crap posts will be allowed in there, but all the other boards are totally fair game (so Yifans and PSN can go back to taking their rightful place as the dumps of this forum :))

I like this option
Tell me something, Billy. How come a cute little guy like this can turn into a thousand ugly monsters?

Lennysaurus

Yeah Alan, this needs to happen imo.

I really like you're idea around heavily moderating FGD and the Tournament areas of NZism, and being more laissez-faire with the rest of it.

I think it wouldn't be that hard to strike a balance between a fun social place, that isn't full of antagonistic crap.  If sensible guidelines/rules are made readily available, it could be a good thing.  It could basically let us know where and what we can post, making it really easy for us to follow.

The problem we face at the moment is that new people come along looking to join the community.  Then they see things like this thread, or the lag debate, or the a banner that takes up half the screen with BIRRY WONG!!!! on it, or one of Weazzey's great posts where he degrades women and tells everyone that they are basically free.   If you were to come to this forum and see that stuff, not having meet us, then what would you think?  I doubt it would be hard to put up a handful of examples that show the quality of posters/posts have degraded in NZism over the last year.

Anyway, lets move this discussion past simple finger pointing and accusations of who said what and when, and move it the direction of providing Alan with some helpful suggestions to make this place a welcoming forum for new people and old members alike.

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

Hydro

Yeah Alan, this needs to happen imo.

I really like you're idea around heavily moderating FGD and the Tournament areas of NZism, and being more laissez-faire with the rest of it.

I think it wouldn't be that hard to strike a balance between a fun social place, that isn't full of antagonistic crap.  If sensible guidelines/rules are made readily available, it could be a good thing.  It could basically let us know where and what we can post, making it really easy for us to follow.

The problem we face at the moment is that new people come along looking to join the community.  Then they see things like this thread, or the lag debate, or the a banner that takes up half the screen with BIRRY WONG!!!! on it, or one of Weazzey's great posts where he degrades women and tells everyone that they are basically free.   If you were to come to this forum and see that stuff, not having meet us, then what would you think?  I doubt it would be hard to put up a handful of examples that show the quality of posters/posts have degraded in NZism over the last year.

Anyway, lets move this discussion past simple finger pointing and accusations of who said what and when, and move it the direction of providing Alan with some helpful suggestions to make this place a welcoming forum for new people and old members alike.

Hydro

. . . wait what just happened?

fluxcore

Damnit you guys, I actually thought Hydro posted that first one. Now I want to know what he actually thinks (not that I didn't before of course... argh!)

Can I ban lenny from doing this?

(actually yes I think I can!)

...tbh I thought I disabled changing screen names a long time ago, but I think it became available again when I upgraded the forum software. Now that ppl are abusing it, maybe I should take the option away again...

In other words...

LENNY

STOP IT

Lennysaurus

To whom it may concern,
I apologize for copying peoples usernames and profiles. My understanding was that we were allowed to use peoples usernames and profiles or foul language in this forum.
Apparently this is not the case here so I do take the back copying peoples usernames and profiles.
Again, my most sincer apologies for copying peoples usernames and profiles.

Kind Regards,
The Lenny 3.0

But seriously, point taken.  And ammendments made.

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

Hydro

ironically, or rather coincidentally, I agree with what Lenny posted too.

Putting my hand up for modding duties should y'all require extras.

CaptainHook

Quote from: [FSR] The Lenny 3.0 on August 20, 2010, 04:52:11 PM
If you were to come to this forum and see that stuff, not having meet us, then what would you think?

Well, i'm new to this place and the WHOLE scene. My background is very different to this community.
And when i first read some of the trash/shit talking going on around here, i LAUGHED MY FUCKING BALLS OFF.
I thought it was hilarious shit, like the kinda jabs my and my closest friends make to each other.

And at the same time, people were/are taking their time to help me learn.

I'm advocate for taking pride in what you do, but not taking yourself too seriously. Its finding that balance.
(I was an admin for my old  band's forum that had 7000 members so i can relate to the difficult decisions involved.)

Best of luck with it. :)

p.s I say settle it with a MM.

p.p.s geneterror ~ if you've been on punkas for a while, i'm pretty sure you would have hated my old
band (if you even heard of it) as others from that site seemed to.  :D :D
Xbox Gamertag is ZERO's, not capital "O"s ~~ CaptainH00K

Skullator

Quote from: CaptainHook on August 20, 2010, 11:40:21 PM
Well, i'm new to this place and the WHOLE scene. My background is very different to this community.
And when i first read some of the trash/shit talking going on around here, i LAUGHED MY FUCKING BALLS OFF.
I thought it was hilarious shit, like the kinda jabs my and my closest friends make to each other.

And at the same time, people were/are taking their time to help me learn.

I'm advocate for taking pride in what you do, but not taking yourself too seriously. Its finding that balance.
(I was an admin for my old  band's forum that had 7000 members so i can relate to the difficult decisions involved.)

Best of luck with it. :)

p.s I say settle it with a MM.

p.p.s geneterror ~ if you've been on punkas for a while, i'm pretty sure you would have hated my old
band (if you even heard of it) as others from that site seemed to.  :D :D

Haha, good attitude bro. I think I was the same when I first turned up here aye lol, had a mean laugh about the Yifans dramas.