• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

DID YOU SEE THAT? That was the DAMAGER!

Main Menu

Outta leftfield: WTB Turntable

Started by fluxcore, September 23, 2010, 12:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fluxcore

I'm looking to pick up a turntable for my stereo system, and from what I understand a couple of you dudes are in the vinyl scene, so I'm going to be lazy as fuck and just ask here.

Anyone got a turntable they are looking to pass on? Or mean hookups?

I'm not particularly wanting to mix or scratch (Although I do have a DJ Rectangle Ultimate Ultimate Battle Weapon  Vol 2 disc), just want a solid & decent quality TT for listening on. Ok so maybe I'll secretly want 1200s but I honestly don't need anything like that.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/Home-audio/Turntables/auction-319594078.htm
is pretty tempting but shipping from CHCH will be a bitch.

Suggestions and whatnot appreciated.

Cheers
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

electric

I wouldn't suggest buying that Stanton (or any turntable with a straight tonearm) if you're worried about record burn - it won't be as prominent if you're just listening to records as opposed to DJing, where there's a lot of back queueing, but it will still get you if you haven't properly calibrated your tone arm and needles - the S shaped tone arm is one of the reasons why 1200's are heavily favoured as being so amazing.

1200's really are awesome... and I'm sure you can pick one up on Trade Me for relatively cheap (scored my pair on Trade Me for $900, although they're a bit rugged)

In short, a non straight tone arm (S or angled) coupled with proper tone arm calibration and you'll be right
"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

fluxcore

Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

electric

Quote from: fluxcore on September 26, 2010, 11:45:40 AM
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/Home-audio/Turntables/auction-319994677.htm

Hrm...

Man... That's in better condition than mine and it's a 1210 Mk2 :(

$400 is a serious steal - assuming it gets to you in the same condition it's sent in

fluxcore

Yeah but buy now is $450 and $40 shipping... $400 I would take it no questions, $500 is getting a bit steep for me.

electric

Quote from: fluxcore on September 26, 2010, 08:14:38 PM
Yeah but buy now is $450 and $40 shipping... $400 I would take it no questions, $500 is getting a bit steep for me.

True, true... although for what that is (a mint condition 1210) $500 is still a good buy - but yeah, I totally understand why you mightn't want to drop half a grand on one turntable to play some old EP's or whatever.

I know there are a few others here who have some wax players - anyone else have an opinion ? Not necessarily a DJ based opinion. What does everyone else have ?

xkheretic

I use a Project Debut 3 turntable and Phono Box into a cheap mixer / monitor set.  Turntable and phono stage was $600ish new from some hi-fi store in Takapuna a couple of years back.

It works well and sounds ok.  Nothing amazing.  The quality of vinyl being released nowadays seems a bit iffy.  I've got re-issues of some LPs that sound nowhere near as good as the originals I've bought second-hand which were released 15+ years ago, on thin wax.

geneterror

Yeah some companies seem to be cheaping out a but lately, hell at least they're not doing acetate cuts like some older NZ bands.

Deathwish and A389 Records both put out some of the best sounding vinyl at the moment but they're both Hardcore labels that put out a LOT of vinyl.
KOW 2011