• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

Wugga is eating uppercuts

Main Menu

Latency and connection discussion

Started by CrazyMobius, October 19, 2010, 10:13:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lennysaurus

Quote from: [PF]CrazyMobius on October 19, 2010, 03:59:39 PM
I changed to Orcon because of Vodafone's latency issues. But now I've found it is no better and in some cases worse. I remember ages ago when I used to live in a different flat I almost never had to reset my modem and always got good fast connections on PSN. It's really becoming a big pain as I don't know if it is the provider, PSN, or my modem. Would the cable make a difference? Mine is about 10 years old.

Sometimes it can be relative to how far away your house is to the exchange, and how many people share that exchange.  But like Rory said there are soooo many variables that can impact it.

Do you know any of your neighbours?  What internet provider do they use and are any of them good?

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

fluxcore

Yeah, the local exchange definitely makes a difference, but if you're so close to Graeme then you're probably on the same exchange as him, so if he's not having trouble then it's likely not the problem.

Is your modem by any chance a dlink rta1320? They are known to overheat. Also the cheaper modems/routers sometimes can literally get 'clogged' with too much information. If you know someone with a spare modem, maybe you could try that.

As Lenny said, there are SO many places where things can go wrong. It *might* be worth calling the ISP and getting them to do some kind of fault tracing, but more likely than not it'll just be a lengthy aggravating process which proves little :/
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Yeah i used to have to do that when it was on Telecom. It had something to do with wireless. So i used the Ethernet cable. Then it started working sweet. I know for sure i haven't had any problems since being on Vodafone, but i haven't tried it without the Ethernet cable.

Might be PSN. I remember ages ago I used to have some weird problems with their network. It was a long time ago and i can't remember if it was Telecom to Vodafone, or the Ethernet cable that made it work. Somewhere around that time i also had trouble with the phone filters and it kept cutting off when the phone rang aswell. I know for sure it was one of those things. I would try the other two before the ISP.

TBH, i'm not sure what your talking about lol. I think that's what you mean by being 'booted' by PSN lol. Either that or you need to stop rage messaging people and fucking them off lol.

Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

stereomonkey

Quote from: [â,,¢Âªv] Phoenix Lenny on October 19, 2010, 05:00:20 PM
Sometimes it can be relative to how far away your house is to the exchange, and how many people share that exchange.  But like Rory said there are soooo many variables that can impact it.

This is correct though it also includes how far away you are from your cabinet (the big grey box your phone line connects to that communicates to the exchange).

Anyone like to share their experiences with their ISP?  It would be good to hear which ISP's to be wary of?

Also has to
"I got that peanut butter chocolate flavour"

fluxcore

My experience with slingshot was fucking shocking. Huge packet loss.

Xnet is kinda ok, but youtube is pretty dire in the evenings - although I'm also in student central so the exchange is stupidly oversubscribed...
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

Rorooze

Xnet used to be REALLY good, then it turned really really bad. I got off of it about two years ago now so not sure how it is these days.

Slingshot is fucking terrible.

Vodafone is OK, my main issue with them is the daily data limits (max 20gig monthly but only max 2gig per day). It's terrible.

electric

Quote from: Rorooze on October 19, 2010, 09:50:06 PM
Vodafone is OK, my main issue with them is the daily data limits (max 20gig monthly but only max 2gig per day). It's terrible.

Fuck is that really how those cunts do it ? No wonder I've felt like every now and then the internet turns to fucking custard even though Im nowhere near my data cap.

FUCK you Vodafone. I'm going to shank everyone in that fucking building.
"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

Rorooze

It might be 2.5 or 3 gig, but yeah, you have a daily limit on top of your monthly limit. fucking frustrating when you're doing a masters assignment and downloading earthquake records and then your cap kicks in
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Lennysaurus

When I moved into this place I switched our ISP over to TelstraClear and it is waaaaaaaaaaaay better.  Although it is pretty expensive.  Buy our data in 25gig caps, and it is always really fast.  I usually pull torrents at well over 1meg per second.  Pull whole movies and episodes of crap in between 5 and 8 minutes.

Apparently in my street the TelstraClear box or whatever it is, is seperate from the Telecom one.  So with Telecom we got really shit speed.  Like 10 minutes to watch a 3 minute youtube clip bad.  Now its fucking ka pai as!

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

Rorooze

yeah im swapping to telstra at the end  of the year when we move out of this place. vodafone caps are way to shit.

originaljulz

HEAVEN OR HELL? DUAL ONE. LETS ROCK!

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Haha South Korea. Fibre through my fucking door pleaz.

Bro I didn't know that about Vodafone ay. Funny how i've never gone over that daily cap.

Vodafones been pretty good to me for the past couple of months. I think they fucked up our cap too, cos last month i only used 9 GBs hahahaha. Is 1Mb faster download than when i was on Telecom but 1MB slower on upload. Not sure where the upload comes into things either lol? Maybe thats actually worse then haha.

10MB Download anyway in Glen Eden.

Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

[NIUE] B1ackstar Ninja

im gunna sing telstra clears praises too

ive been on telecom for like 6 years , just shifted to telstra clear with 25 gig lots , 2 per month normally

speed are way faster and like lenny said they have a seperate exchange from telecoms so come 6pm and everyone gets on the pmnet miones still super fast whereas when i was on telecom it would go pretty slow from 6pm till about 9pm

telstra , faster , cheaper better
and i got interleaving turned off and i get alot more green bars to aussie now .

kai pai geessssssssssssssss
"Attack me if you dare , i will crush you "

CaptainHook

With orcon here. 75gig a month. (got given 10gig a month extra for free) Usually download tv etc from hotfile/rapidshare at
about 1.4meg on average. Every now and then it can be torture but mostly it's solid as.
Xbox Gamertag is ZERO's, not capital "O"s ~~ CaptainH00K

CptMunta

Yip I'm with telstra too. If they have cable in your area you should definitely get it, it's bananas fast. Also found out about this www.warpspeed.co.nz and my Internet seems way faster. I'll have to check into it more and try a speed test. Dunno when they are testing it in Auckland though.
Munta on the web: www.pavementart.co.nz
PSN: CptMunta