• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

DID YOU SEE THAT? That was the DAMAGER!

Main Menu

DVS goes to Japan

Started by DVS, November 05, 2010, 10:07:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DVS

I'm way outta date with this but I went to Japan in August and managed to make it to a few of the big arcades including Big Box in Shinjuku...I thought I'd upload a few pics and recount a few experiences.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Needless to say the quality of play was top - Shinjuku had an amazing set up. No input lag whatsoever (You would have loved it Bill). Arcades on every corner with multiple levels (Fighters games were usually in the basement two levels below street). This is Daigo's local arcade....

In Shinjuku they had a 16 machine set up - 2 sets of 4 back to back and interlinked. 8 Machines were for pros and 8 for novices.....There were card machines so players could keep a tally of their points and personalise their fighters (much like the Tekken set up in Yifans). Players were also rated and given a special level by their BP -eg: "Grand Master", " Master" etc....There was also a Bronze, Silver and Gold ranking so there were Gold coloured Grand Masters.

I played novice players until feeling brave enough to fight pros.....I actually had more success with Vega than Ryu. I played a top level Chunners in Shinjuku who shat on everyone he played and didn't even break a sweat.  needless to say he had a Gold Grand Master rating..... ::)

I also played a top level Rog at the Sega arcade above....he never missed a link.....was awesome to watch, but thats about all I could do....haha I also had some close matches with a few medium Ryu's and actually managed to win a few..... ;)

I learnt that Japanese players have a lot more patience and arn't effected by nerves...  8) they also have a more techincal approach and will mind fuck you. You'll never see them do anything unsafe unless their up on health and most play perfect footies spacing..... I'll say it again "perfect spacing"

All in all I really enjoyed the scene -afterall arcade play was invented in Japan.
"You'll never survive in the jungle"......

zos'la

Yo, looks good :) I am heading to Tokyo early next year, want to know where all teh beast hang out? need to get my ass spanked a few times :P
If you can give me the name of the Arcade and location (address), I would be much appreciated.

I promise to give u a easier time in YIFANS!!!! :P

churrrrs :)
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

CrazyMobius

Quote from: DVS on November 05, 2010, 10:07:36 AM

I played a top level Chunners in Shinjuku who shat on everyone he played and didn't even break a sweat. 

Arcades seem to be more relaxed with their conduct over there.

I would like to go to Japan too one day.

massi4h

Nice man. Looks and sounds awesome. That would have been such an awesome experience.

[NIUE] weazzyefff

How do you communicate over there though ay. That's what i always wondered when you guys go over there.
Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

DVS

Thanks Andy (I guess)...I have a pretty clear list of places I went to, I can hook you up....if you promise only to pick Blanka when your down at Yifans this week coming....deal?

Simon, Weazzy & Mason...we should save up and do a NZISM trip...shit would be off the hook! Japan is fucking awesome...I'd go aagin in a heart beat....

Oh yeah I pretty much had a translator Weazzy....or I spoke with Hadoukens

Rorooze

Fuck yeah Japan is beast. Good to see you made it to BIGBOX. I gotta grab my book off you at some stage. are you coming to christmas damager? We should hook up for same games in about, uh, 9 days :D

DVS

Quote from: Rorooze on November 06, 2010, 11:39:37 PM
Fuck yeah Japan is beast. Good to see you made it to BIGBOX. I gotta grab my book off you at some stage. are you coming to christmas damager? We should hook up for same games in about, uh, 9 days :D

Totally dude..you book was really helpful. I wanted to catch up a have a few rounds.....having a jam tomorrow at my new place if your down....PM me  ;D

massi4h

Yeah pretty much since I've recently become a Japanese wannabe, I really wanna go to Japan. Don't got no money though.

DVS

Quote from: massi4h on November 07, 2010, 12:09:50 AM
Yeah pretty much since I've recently become a Japanese wannabe, I really wanna go to Japan. Don't got no money though.

Credit card dude...worry about it later

Rorooze

Quote from: DVS on November 06, 2010, 11:55:29 PM
Totally dude..you book was really helpful. I wanted to catch up a have a few rounds.....having a jam tomorrow at my new place if your down....PM me  ;D

can't do this week bro, but next week definitely, masters degree will be all done :D

mason man, japan is beast. keep an eye on grab a seat, i've seen return tickets on there for like 600 bucks before.

CrazyMobius

I thought grab a seat only goes to NZ and Oz.  :-[

CptMunta

Cool photos man :)

Looks like you went to the same spots I did. I found Taito Hey had the best comp. That place was crazy. All the pros come out at night :) BP is sooooooo much more addictive in the arcades. Did you buy a card? I couldn't enter my name or customize since I didn't have a japanese cell phone. The ipod/iphone setup looks sick.

Next year will be a better year to go for SF though. I went 2 weeks or so after SBO so it was pretty quiet. Some good comp but not heaps of it. I think I missed your visit by a couple of weeks :D

I learnt that Japanese players have a lot more patience and arn't effected by nerves...  8) they also have a more techincal approach and will mind fuck you. You'll never see them do anything unsafe unless their up on health and most play perfect footies spacing..... I'll say it again "perfect spacing"

I noticed this too. I discussed it a bit will Bull, one of the organisers of Final Round Japan. It's like westerners are more eager to show how good they are. Whereas Japanese will just do what it takes to win without flashy risks, they would rather let you do all the work leave yourself open.
Munta on the web: www.pavementart.co.nz
PSN: CptMunta

zos'la

lol....so Taito is the place to go.. I won't have much time, prolly a few hours as my schedule would be pretty tight.
Language wouldn't be a problem for me as I have decent Japanese :)
Well I can speak ok, just can't really read too well lol....

oh and about picking Blanka... um how about I pick Guile? LOL I don't like green freaks ><
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Quote from: [PF]CrazyMobius on November 07, 2010, 05:32:43 PM
I thought grab a seat only goes to NZ and Oz.  :-[

Nah. My boss got a $300 trip to canada earlier this year. And a $40 trip to samoa.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.