• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

Street Fighter 4

Started by fluxcore, October 18, 2007, 07:54:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fluxcore

All the viper players in #capcom were commenting on how Combofiend's viper wasn't very impressive. When he did that mp.tk into bk combo in the corner, I was like 'IT'S TOO HIGH YOU FOOL!!! IT WON'T CONNECT!'

Personally I like Magus1234's viper more...
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

electric

I agree with Combofiend's Viper not being that amazing, but god damn, he's an amazing player. I actually prefer seeing his Boxer (even though I fucking hate Boxer lol) because I think he suits Combo's style more than Viper does. He's also got a crazy Dhalsim, but I don't know whether he plays 'sim much these days.
"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

[8-----D] Toots

I agree that aesthetically James' Viper looks far more impressive but I wouldn't agree that James viper > Combofiend viper. Combo managed to put loads of pressure on his opponents without all the tricky feints and cancels that most Viper players use. Fact is he beat a whole bunch of the best in the USA with his unimpressive Viper. It'd be like comparing Hue's Roo to Alex Valle's.

No disrespect to James or Hue either  :D

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Id like to see Alex Valle play Hue. That would be interesting.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

Hydro

Quote from: Toomeke on June 08, 2009, 08:44:09 PM
I agree that aesthetically James' Viper looks far more impressive but I wouldn't agree that James viper > Combofiend viper. Combo managed to put loads of pressure on his opponents without all the tricky feints and cancels that most Viper players use. Fact is he beat a whole bunch of the best in the USA with his unimpressive Viper. It'd be like comparing Hue's Roo to Alex Valle's.

No disrespect to James or Hue either  :D

None taken, it's flattering to be compared full stop.

However, refusing to use a characters full arsenal does not mean that you're a better player just because you win. I can pressure all day without fients and cancels, but it's a hell of a lot easier to pressure when you do use them, and thus easier to win. Why make it double hard on yourself eh?

And, also, Combofiends Viper is a bit of a joke among the other top Viper players Kryojenix, Kensou & Magus1234, in fact there's a thread at srk kinda dissing his unimpressive useage and style of play with our suited lady. I could sit and watch Kensou's Viper all day, that guy is near jap pro imo. Combo's not so much.

[NIUE] B1ackstar Ninja

true but all the people dissing combos viper didnt qualify for SBO did they  ;)
So they should stfu 8)

Theres a million theroy fighter Sf players who think theyre better than this top player or this top player .....
Reality is put them in that high pressure situation after playin 13 hours straight with a trip to sbo in japan on the line and lets see if they can even still stand let alone mix it up and hit their combos .

"Attack me if you dare , i will crush you "

[8-----D] Toots

Quote from: hydrokinesis on June 08, 2009, 08:55:54 PM

None taken, it's flattering to be compared full stop.

However, refusing to use a characters full arsenal does not mean that you're a better player just because you win. I can pressure all day without fients and cancels, but it's a hell of a lot easier to pressure when you do use them, and thus easier to win. Why make it double hard on yourself eh?

And, also, Combofiends Viper is a bit of a joke among the other top Viper players Kryojenix, Kensou & Magus1234, in fact there's a thread at srk kinda dissing his unimpressive useage and style of play with our suited lady. I could sit and watch Kensou's Viper all day, that guy is near jap pro imo. Combo's not so much.

I don't think it's a case of him refusing to learn all the Viper stuff, he just hasn't yet. I was trying to make the point that he is that good even without all the tricks.

Basically Combo's Viper has thiiiiiiiisssss much stuff to learn where as Kensou has thiiis much stuff to learn. Who's better? Combo. Who has more room to improve? Combo.

Hydro

Quote from: Toomeke on June 08, 2009, 09:36:57 PM
I don't think it's a case of him refusing to learn all the Viper stuff, he just hasn't yet. I was trying to make the point that he is that good even without all the tricks.

Basically Combo's Viper has thiiiiiiiisssss much stuff to learn where as Kensou has thiiis much stuff to learn. Who's better? Combo. Who has more room to improve? Combo.

I guess refusing is the wrong word, hasn't learned would be more along my line of thought. Still, it kinda sounded like you were saying Combo was superior BECAUSE he didn't use all those tricks, it is this to which I disagree. All in all tho: YAY VIPER! It's about time the US started rockin her in tourneys.

CrazyMobius

I just reckon these U.S players get more attention than they deserve.

zos'la

who needs tricks to win :D? u only use it when its needed tbh. a solid player is all it takes, less mistakes is all it takes to win :P looks at my sobby Ryu lawl.
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

Chuckk

Combo said he didn't use all of Viper's tricks because the Denjin setups were kinda fucked and he was gimicked to only using easy shit.

I doubt someone like Combofiend can't do everything Viper's got, just got to wait til evo to see.
RAP GAME MIKE MYERS

"It's only the 360 version that is late.  PS3 version will ship on time."

-Lenny

HoneyBadger

Combo like Goku. He not gonna show his true power level until he fights Frieza
my mum found dark dawn on the DS.

that game is gonna get raped.

MUMMYHALA

[NIUE] Optimus DAVE

lol, they dissing your homie sol ::)

(By they i mean the u.s.)
The New Generation Clockw0rk

fluxcore

Quote from: zosla on June 09, 2009, 08:34:50 AM
who needs tricks to win :D? u only use it when its needed tbh. a solid player is all it takes, less mistakes is all it takes to win :P looks at my sobby Ryu lawl.

Viper doesn't have solid footsies (aka her normals are pretty shit), and her specials aren't the best either, so actually most of her game revolves around tricks and mindgames. She also takes more damage, so needs to make far fewer mistakes than her opponent to win.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Quote from: fluxcore on June 09, 2009, 09:47:11 AM
Quote from: zosla on June 09, 2009, 08:34:50 AM

Viper doesn't have solid footsies (aka her normals are pretty shit), and her specials aren't the best either, so actually most of her game revolves around tricks and mindgames. She also takes more damage, so needs to make far fewer mistakes than her opponent to win.

El Fuerte is the same.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.