• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

DID YOU SEE THAT? That was the DAMAGER!

Main Menu

Street Fighter 4

Started by fluxcore, October 18, 2007, 07:54:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceekaytwo

One more important thing , its this weekend only.  USA time though, so you probably have to Monday afternoon sometime.

pookychoo

hi guys i picked up sfiv for pc last weekend in the special steam deal ceekaytwo mentioned, i have been playing it with keyboard so far because i dont have a stick but i think i will need to get one.

i had a quick look in training mode to verify the input, and i can see certain key combinations dont register together for me e.g. (cviper double jump only works if i am standing and not while running, or kens hell wheel only works if i use the single throw key that is mapped, if i use Light K+P it doesnt register the direction key.) So its a bit gimpy using a keyboard, i think most moves aren't affected because you aren't holding multiple keys down too often but its a bit dodgy and id rather get something a bit more reliable.

are those Madcatz TE sticks still the best bet for a noob? I have read around on here and see it looks like the cheapest way is to order from Capcom store directly ($400 from mighty ape was a bit steep for me, $300 odd from capcom seems a bit more doable.)

I need to start looking around for some good explanations of this focus attack and cancelling. I kinda understand cancelling because that seems fairly straight forward, just start one move then during that moves animation you switch into another like a super. But I don't quite understand how you're meant to use focus attacks yet, I did a few of the challenges and see how you can cancel from a special attack using a focus attack and then into your super/ultra. It's a fairly decent learning curve i reckon, and the game doesn't even have a manual  ;D

I did manage to beat seth on medium with Ryu and Ken so far though, took a few tries though  :-\

fluxcore

Hi man, yeah sounds like you've got a bit of learning ahead of ya :)

You can get a cheaper stick if you want, http://www.firstgames.co.nz/shop/playstation3/playstation3real-arcade-pro3fi is a pretty good choice (I believe it works fine on pc)

As for focus attacks, and a general overview of the game system, try reading this http://shoryuken.com/wiki/index.php/Street_Fighter_IV
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

pookychoo

thanks for the info bro, I also have an xbox 360 so I'm thinking the madcatz TE might be a good option if I want to play anything from xbox live arcade. If the TE is still regarded as the best stick I think I will go with that, for about $300 from Capcom store.

I had a read of that shoryuken sfvi wiki before posting here (bad etiquette not to at least read up on some basics right), but i still don't really understand when you're supposed to use the focus attacks.

I understand how it will absorb a non armor breaking hit, and can crumple your opponent. But when do you guys use it in matches? I saw in a video how you can dash out of it, and you can use it to block a fireball and then dash to advance which is pretty cool. Are you supposed to use it as a sort of counter attack, similar to parry which will stop an opponents strike and give you the initiative or am I misunderstanding what it's there for?

I will keep reading on that shoryuken site there is a lot of info there on the forums too, just takes quite a while to find what youre after (or sometimes the way its explained is a bit too advanced for me)

Cheers

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Focus is a difficult element to explain effectively. And everyone uses it differently. PLUS the usefulness of the focus is different for each character.

I personally use it as a counter for predictable things. (a full screen honda buttdrop is a good example) It absorbs the hit, and when you release it, you should be able to score a crumple, which in turn leads to more free damage.

You basically have to learn your opponents patterns, and use the focus accordingly.

Like anything though, you dont want to overdo it and get precdictable.

It has other uses. Some people use it offensively as a pressure tool. But this can get dangerous.

Finally, In the generic beginner guides on SRK. Look at the term FADC. That particular use of the focus leads to what can only be described as "THE DAMAGER" for most characters.

In a nutshell, FADC is doing a special and then cancelling into the focus attack. Often you will then see players cancelling FROM the focus attack BEFORE it hits, into a dash, and then juggling with something else. (ie. ultra)

The first use i gave you, and the FADC are what most players use the focus for. Just remember its not a 'free counter' button. And it is NOT like a 3s parry.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

On a totally different note:

After 2 solid hours in training mode, JUST doing RSF.

1)My hand is really fucking sore

2)My new RSF record is 11. Up from 8. :D

If i can start getting mroe than 3 at yifans ill be set >_>
<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

CrazyMobius

pookychoo

thanks for the info bill, i think i will leave FA cancelling till i am a bit better at the game since im pretty noob right now but its good to know its there and how people are using it.

At the moment im just experimenting with focus attacks seeing what works and what doesnt, a lot of the time when i try to use it defensively they just break through with multi hits anyway so i have to be more careful to only use if if i know they will be doing a 1 hit move.

I just played though arcade medium with Sagat, hes a machine i can see why he is one of the top rated characters in the game. Deals so much damage, and he can take quite a bit too. I beat seth in one try with Sagat, 2-0 victory (but admittedly, now that ive played through with Ryu and Ken I know how seth operates so it wasn't all just because of using Sagat). Probably a bit of luck there too.

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

karizzma

Hey did you guys see this about a possible 10new chars in SF4:Dash?

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2009/sep/17/rumor-street-fighter-iv-dash-characters/

Just a rumor I know but wouldn't it be awesome.

GOGO Makoto!!

[NIUE] weazzyefff

I bet its bullshit.

Wish it was true though.
Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

samurai black

NERF RYU AND GIVE HIM HIS DONKEY KICK BACK SO ILL BE THE ONLY ONE THAT USES HIM

CptMunta

Quote from: karizzma on September 18, 2009, 05:00:19 PM
Hey did you guys see this about a possible 10new chars in SF4:Dash?

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2009/sep/17/rumor-street-fighter-iv-dash-characters/

Just a rumor I know but wouldn't it be awesome.

GOGO Makoto!!

Hmmmm interesting all the same.

I'd like some more new characters. I might play them all that much but I really like their designs. The rumor sez:

*  From Street Fighter 2: Dee Jay and T. Hawk.
    * From Street Fighter 3: Dudley, Ibuki and Makoto.
    * From Street Fighter Alpha: Adon, Cody and Guy.
    * Plus two completely new characters.

I've never been an Adon or T Hawk fan but the rest look like good characters to add. But Dudley vs Rog has gotta happen! ;D
Munta on the web: www.pavementart.co.nz
PSN: CptMunta

fluxcore

They all sound stupid except for the 2 new chars...
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

moose!

Quote from: fluxcore on September 18, 2009, 07:03:09 PM
They all sound stupid except for the 2 new chars...
QFT. Sounds like someone is trolling on SRK.