• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

Discipline. Justice. Commitment.

Main Menu

Street Fighter IV TE stick...

Started by fluxcore, December 23, 2008, 09:48:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barnstorm

Quote from: ILL_BILL on February 21, 2009, 10:38:24 AM
My only problem is that i will be trying to use my namco stick 'box', which means im gonna have to somehow cut a hole for the xbox 360 guide button. I don't have the patience to build a box from scratch, and ive got no idea how im going to do this.

just put a new arcade button in the back, should fit nicely just below the curve. that is if you have a spare button

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Quote from: Barnstorm on February 22, 2009, 10:35:41 AM
Quote from: ILL_BILL on February 21, 2009, 10:38:24 AM
My only problem is that i will be trying to use my namco stick 'box', which means im gonna have to somehow cut a hole for the xbox 360 guide button. I don't have the patience to build a box from scratch, and ive got no idea how im going to do this.

just put a new arcade button in the back, should fit nicely just below the curve. that is if you have a spare button

Unfortunately i dont. I think ill just be ghetto and use the button from the controller somehow.

New question. Do i need to remove (what i will call, for all intents and purposes) the "Ps1 PCB" from the inside of the namco stick? Or can i just treat the points ive highlighted in the picture below as the connections on the buttons, and solder them to the 360 PCB?

Obviously the wire that connects the PCB to the console i would be keeping separate.

I figure if i can do this, then i should theoretically be able to use the stick for both PS2 and 360? But im pretty sure i cant, and removing the old PCB seems lke a pain in the ass.

Mike needs to hurry up and tell me how much $$ he can get the TE stick for >_>

[attachment deleted by admin]
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

fluxcore

Have a read of the threads on SRK related to dual pcb mods... I haven't done any and I'm not quite sure where you want the break point to be. I'm not sure if there could be problems supplying the ps1 pcb with current through the buttons...
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

stereomonkey

FUCK, I just recuived an email from JB informing me that they didn't have enough in stock so I must wait for the second production line or I can get a refund.  FUCK! >:(

:'(

Edit: Great, seems I can't get a SE stick since cdwow is sold out.

I'm so sad :'(
"I got that peanut butter chocolate flavour"

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

And i just about gave up building one to buy one of these. Though im still thinking about it. Dont forget Mightyape is still taking preorders. I think. Though i imagine JB would have more stock.
<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

fluxcore

Damn, gotta wait until end of April like the rest of us :/

Not having an SE stick probably isn't much of a loss, from what Cpt.Munta has said...
You could always get a hori :{

Bill: I really want you to open up the wired controller to see if they are common ground. If they are I'll have to get one.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Yea ill post a pic when i actually get a wired controller. I havent managed to get to dick smith or anywhere really. Although i did find a pic of one on SRK. Ill post it up when i get home. Apparently their "server is too busy" for me to do it now. If its not common ground, does that mean i will have to daisy-chain all the ground's together?
<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

fluxcore

Quote from: ILL_BILL on February 25, 2009, 11:55:14 AM
Yea ill post a pic when i actually get a wired controller. I havent managed to get to dick smith or anywhere really. Although i did find a pic of one on SRK. Ill post it up when i get home. Apparently their "server is too busy" for me to do it now. If its not common ground, does that mean i will have to daisy-chain all the ground's together?

Nah, it means you CAN'T daisy chain them together, because each button has a separate ground (read: you'll need two wires going to each button from the pcb). Doesn't really matter for a single stick, but it sucks for me due to the way all my stuff is setup.

From what I understand, the new revision of the wired controller has common ground for everything but the triggers, which would suffice. I don't suppose you have a multimeter then? Because it's really annoying to work out what grounds are connected otherwise.

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

But if they were common ground, then i wouldn't need to daisy chain them? Or would i? Forgive me for being totally new to this, and, shall we say, 'electronically inexperienced, but i took common ground to mean that each point has a 'ground' common with the other points, so daisy chaining wouldn't be necessary anyway.

Now youre saying that in order to BE ABLE to daisy chain something, it needs common ground, which, the way i read it, would mean the entire daisy-chaining process would be a waste of time.

This is how i read it, and im a touch confused on the matter. For the sake of reference, i read 'daisy-chaining' as linking all the grounds together by soldering a wire to connect them all.

Sorry if this post came off as being kinda rude. I assure you there was no intention of that, but would you mind clearing this up for me?

This is the only reference pic i could find of the inside of a 360 wired controller. Looks like it isn't common ground to me (guessing) but at least it tells me what is ground and what isn't.

<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

fluxcore

Daisy-chaining is when you have one ground wire coming from the pcb to a single microswitch on the stick/buttons, and then loop wires from each microswitch to the next. This can only be done with a common-ground pad (since every ground is the same ground point). Therefore the number of wires from the pcb to the stick/buttons is (number of directions + number of buttons) + 1 [for the ground]. (4 directions + 6 buttons + start) + 1 [ground], for example.

If the pad is NOT common ground, you can't do that, you need to have one wire from the pcb for each separate ground connection. If every button and direction on the pad has a separate ground, that means twice as many wires (minus one) than doing the daisy-chain method, i.e. 4 directions + 6 buttons + start + 11 ground wires.

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Ah thats (mostly) what i thought it was, but i know where i got confused now.

Luckily for me, since there is a PS1 PCB already in the stick, it means i only have to worry about one set of wires, Which in this case is 11 buttons + 4 directions + 15 grounds on the 360 PCB.

Given that the Namco stick is a button short, i might just omit connecting the "back" button on the 360 controller, since i dont use it at all.

If i link all the ground 'microswitches' (tell me if im using the term wrong on the PCB together, in a similar fashion to connecting the microswitches on the BUTTONS with the daisy chain method (essentially creating a 'common ground' on the PCB) could i then join the two with a single ground wire, plus the 14-15 wires from the buttons? (plus a wire connecting the 5v with the 3.3(?)v on the two PCB's, because im told dual modding wont work otherwise)

Im just trying to forward-think of ways to reduce clutter of wires in there. I just figure it would be easier to keep the two PCB's as separate as i possibly can.
<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

fluxcore

If it's not a common-ground pcb, you can't just link the separate grounds together to make a single common ground, no. There is some trickery I think you can do with opto-isolators or something, but I've never actually tried it.

If the 360 controller is not common ground but the namco pcb is, then you don't want to have both them hooked up together, because it'll create the same scenario as above.

There are good reasons why a common-ground pcb is much preferred for hacking purposes! Also why I'm annoyed that I haven't been able to find them :/ Might just pony up the $80-odd to get one I know is common ground from the states... :(

BTW the microswitch is the little button the sticks/buttons press that connect the circuit - there's actually a little 'switch' in there. The bits on the pcb that the buttons press onto would be called 'pads'.

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Ahh fuck. I shouldve known this would end up being too difficult.
<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

iMagneto

fluxcore

Quote from: ILL_BILL on February 21, 2009, 05:53:22 PM
Dick Smith is clearing their stock of wired controllers, so theyre going for about $50 at the moment, so i reckon ill give it a shot with one of those. It seems simple enough.

According to the DSE website ( http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/49a5abef02705736273fc0a87f3b06f3/Product/View/YG1102 )

Sylvia Park PowerHouse, Manukau PowerHouse, Palmerston North PowerHouse.
have stock of these wired controllers. Anyone willing to pick one up for me and send it out? Obviously I'll pay for it.

My arcade cabinet is desperate for a second pcb!