• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

NEW Tournament for SF4 Brainstorming

Started by ABC_SMN, March 23, 2009, 03:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HoneyBadger

I noticed that Justin Wong is doing like evaluations of peoples playstyle for like $20. Imo it would be cool to have like a student/mentor thread sorta like SRK and also encourage people to play against our better players at get togethers and have them give them tips based on their individual style. After people had more confidence they'd probably be more keen to play in our tournies and such.
my mum found dark dawn on the DS.

that game is gonna get raped.

MUMMYHALA

fluxcore

I'm totally all for trying to help out new people with organised training sessions like has been suggested - as you all say, we can't really start doing big events without having more people active.

The trouble I always have is finding people that are actually interested in doing what it takes to get better. Sure you can find thousands of people that 'play' sf4 with their mates and just button mash, but to find people that actually want to start playing even semi-competitively (or converting the casuals into such people) is something I just haven't worked out how to do. If we can somehow find a bunch of these people, then it becomes much easier...
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

Lennysaurus

Quote from: fluxcore on March 24, 2009, 09:45:02 AM
I'm totally all for trying to help out new people with organised training sessions like has been suggested - as you all say, we can't really start doing big events without having more people active.

The trouble I always have is finding people that are actually interested in doing what it takes to get better. Sure you can find thousands of people that 'play' sf4 with their mates and just button mash, but to find people that actually want to start playing even semi-competitively (or converting the casuals into such people) is something I just haven't worked out how to do. If we can somehow find a bunch of these people, then it becomes much easier...

TBH flux i think that SFIV is doing alot of that for us itself, soley due to its popularity.  A good example is how many new peeps weve had join the site recently.  Some particularly ood examples are blackstar ninja, William101, and Fearless Newbie.

Maybe RVB is a good spot to do it as AD mentioned?  How much to rent out one of those little bays?  We should get our hands on those tutorials that sirlin did?  I could even make an AVI explaining the basics in SFIV?

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Back to one of simons earlier posts, "having it every 2 months" is a bit frequent IMO. Yes, i would love to have more competitions, but if we have a tourney as often as that, it kind of takes away the shine of an annual competition, or one that happens 2-3 times a year.

Maybe have some ranbats, so we can seed the future tournaments. Obviously, the people that need/deserve seeding are the hardcore players who would turn up to these anyway.

Just a thought.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

zos'la

Point taken.

I beleive RvB is  the place for such events. its not a big fee to pay and they are willing to throw in spot prizes and main prize add on's.

Simon Fish's cafe can be an option but will depend on cost and issues like machines and LCD TV etc.

As for casual tutorial games, best is to have it at RvB, of course we need to have a  SET number of people attending since the cost is going towards whoever attends.
Hard but do-able.

Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

Lennysaurus

What was he cost for the tourney Zosla?

That way we can get an idea and maybe start the ball rolling.

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

CrazyMobius

Quote from: zosla on March 24, 2009, 02:21:27 PM
Point taken.

I beleive RvB is  the place for such events. its not a big fee to pay and they are willing to throw in spot prizes and main prize add on's.

Simon Fish's cafe can be an option but will depend on cost and issues like machines and LCD TV etc.

As for casual tutorial games, best is to have it at RvB, of course we need to have a  SET number of people attending since the cost is going towards whoever attends.
Hard but do-able.

I heard another tournament is being organised outside RVB without all the controversial stuff.

fluxcore

Quote from: Lennysaurus on March 24, 2009, 02:53:31 PM
What was he cost for the tourney Zosla?

From what I understand the hire of the space was ~$200.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Quote from: CrazyMobius on March 25, 2009, 03:29:07 PM
Quote from: zosla on March 24, 2009, 02:21:27 PM
Point taken.

Hard but do-able.

I heard another tournament is being organised outside RVB without all the controversial stuff.

Really? You have me intrigued. Also, what controversial stuff?
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

fluxcore

Yeah, not sure if I feel particularly comfortable about this...

[8-----D] Toots

I don't get why people wanna make drama when our community is so small  ???

Simon(Crazy Mobius) and whoever else that has some kind of problem with the recent tournament(valid reason or not) please get over it...We don't need beef. Just organise another, better tournament without making silly remarks. A well run tourney speaks volumes...much more so than a forum post.

Oh and I'm not trying to take sides. I'm saying there shouldn't be any sides at all for such trivial stuff. People can run a tournament however they feel:

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=181086

Quote from: ILL_BILL on March 25, 2009, 04:12:59 PM

Most likely Hue playing for Simon in the finals, one character only rule and the banning of Seth and Gouken. Three very valid points if you ask me.

[NIUE] B1ackstar Ninja

I dont know if things like tournys will ever be to EVERYONE'S likeing .
Just show up and let your game do the talking  8)
I just wanna play more SF4 , anytime anyplace , if its in the north Island im there .
BOOYAKASHA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Attack me if you dare , i will crush you "

[NIUE] Optimus DAVE

Quote from: Toomeke on March 25, 2009, 06:05:28 PM

Simon(Crazy Mobius) and whoever else that has some kind of problem with the recent tournament(valid reason or not) please get over it...We don't need beef. Just organise another, better tournament without making silly remarks. A well run tourney speaks volumes...much more so than a forum post.

Oh and I'm not trying to take sides. I'm saying there shouldn't be any sides at all for such trivial stuff. People can run a tournament however they feel:

Most likely Hue playing for Simon in the finals, one character only rule and the banning of Seth and Gouken. Three very valid points if you ask me.

the only thing is that hue playing for simon thing.....but yeah....nothing major, who cares, we had fun......there was BEERZ

Mr Toomeks is onto it......
The New Generation Clockw0rk

[NIUE] B1ackstar Ninja

Quote from: AD on March 25, 2009, 06:38:45 PM
Quote from: Toomeke on March 25, 2009, 06:05:28 PM

the only thing is that hue playing for simon thing.....but yeah....nothing major, who cares, we had fun......there was BEERZ

Mr Toomeks is onto it......

Hell yeah , any tourney where theres a bar gets a thumbs up from me lol ;D
"Attack me if you dare , i will crush you "

fluxcore

I agree wholeheartedly with what Toomeke said.

One thing I'd add is:
If your winner of winners left for work before the grand final, what would you do?
Either your tournament has no finals match (pretty shitty if you ask me), or it has one but it's not legit (also shitty).

While I don't necessarily agree that having Hue play was the right decision, it's not like anything REALLY hinged on the result - this was overall supposed to be a fun tourney that introduced people and showed new people how cool the competitive scene can be. I probably would have ummed and ahhed for half an hour before making a decision, whereas Andy just decided and that was that - I think that's admirable.

It would have been great to formally announce that we were at Grand Final match, but I'm assuming that either noone thought of it (I didn't even realise we were at that point yet), or it would mean we'd have to announce what had happened (which would somewhat bum the crowd).