• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

Pre-release Super Street Fighter IV details

Started by iMagneto, September 20, 2009, 12:56:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydro

^^

He's still top though Smoof... actually, according to the lastest stats on the most winningest characters for year to date, Sagat is top by a mile. Pretty much Daigo is the only Ryu in the top 50 japanese players. Match that to 20+ Sagats in the top 50 and you got your tier list stats right there. 

I think there's like 2 abel, 3 viper (Kindevu is also #1 rufus) 2 Rufus etc and you get the picture.

Go take a look at deviljins posts in the SSFIV new info thread on SRK, he makes some very detailed & intelligent arguments on the whole why Sagat is unbalanced ( I don't entirely agree on him being TOTALLY unbalanced per se, just extremely low risk for stupidly high reward). It basically has to do risk/reward when calculating the standing for the characters in my his/opinion, in fact it has to be the only accurate way of assigning character rankings.

High tier is always going to have the better half of the ratio, where the lower tier are going to have the opposite.

Unfortunate, but yeah, whatayagonnado?

HoneyBadger

Yeah, like I said, he's still dumb. It's just that when compared to Ryu and Akuma he's not SO dumb, they all have some stupid shit. Arguing things like trade into ultra if you play Ryu seems kinda silly imo. Like you said, there's always gonna be high and low tier and imo SF4 has far less stupid shit than some of the other ones.
my mum found dark dawn on the DS.

that game is gonna get raped.

MUMMYHALA

electric

Quote from: Smoofologist on November 05, 2009, 01:05:36 PM
Yeah, like I said, he's still dumb. It's just that when compared to Ryu and Akuma he's not SO dumb, they all have some stupid shit. Arguing things like trade into ultra if you play Ryu seems kinda silly imo. Like you said, there's always gonna be high and low tier and imo SF4 has far less stupid shit than some of the other ones.

I agree... Sagat is dumb, but he's not RETARDED dumb... It's not like he dominates anyone in the cast 9-1... I think with a few tweaks and a damage output nerf, he'll actually be solid, without being OP.

With regards to James' post, http://www.versuscity.net/2009/10/13/street-fighter-4-power-players-22/

The top 50 plays has 23 Sagats in it. That, IMO, is enough to warrant at least LOOKING at Sagat objectively and saying "Ok, what the hell do we have to do to make this guy less dominant ?"
"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

HoneyBadger

I think a lot of it has to do with SF4 style really suiting the zoning characters. Imo if you tacked a few more recovery frames onto his HTS it'd make him a whole lot worse, arms sticking out and everything makes it easy to get a jump on that nigga.

MUMMYHALA

moose!

Whoa, actually surprised by the lack of Boxer in that top 50...

HoneyBadger

MUMMYHALA

moose!

May as well just go ahead and call it the world top 50  ;)

fluxcore

Quote from: moose! on November 05, 2009, 01:30:48 PM

No sorry, this isn't 3s
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

DVS

Quote from: Smoofologist on November 05, 2009, 01:05:36 PM

Given Smoof, but look at the damage of Ryu's Ultra after a trade compared to SAGAT's...

I think trade Ultra's are shitty regardless...of course theres always going to be a high and low tier...but the gap between needs to be closed a bit...   :-\

The Japanese top 50 has 23 SAGATS in it man....something up there...me thinks so.... ::)

"You'll never survive in the jungle"......

electric

Quote from: fluxcore on November 05, 2009, 01:36:03 PM
Quote from: moose! on November 05, 2009, 01:30:48 PM

No sorry, this isn't 3s

It's not that far off in terms of skill gap, IMO
"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

DVS

Quote from: Smoofologist on November 05, 2009, 12:46:22 PM
So him being slow, and his fat model aren't chinks? I'm not saying he's really balanced or anything, but you can't call shit like Akuma's vortex balanced either. Capcom also mentioned Seth was OP but I don't see any posts about that either.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

See this one dude:
http://nzism.alphaism.com/forum/index.php/topic,714.0.html

fluxcore

Yes, did you bother to actually read the thread? Kind of discusses how it's not talking about the controllable char Seth.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

HoneyBadger

Capcom said they were going to make computer Seth even harder lolololololol

MUMMYHALA

DVS

Quote from: Smoofologist on November 05, 2009, 02:20:56 PM
Capcom said they were going to make computer Seth even harder lolololololol

Sweet so they should, he's a boss character. Was just following up on the point you made about there not being a thread about it....

HoneyBadger

That thread was more "Seth isn't that good, why would you nerf him?"

MUMMYHALA