• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

Newbies: feel free to ask for help! We can do training sessions online as well!

Main Menu

Pre-release Super Street Fighter IV details

Started by iMagneto, September 20, 2009, 12:56:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moose!

"THAWK is the new Alex"

Discuss.

DVS

Quote from: moose! on May 03, 2010, 02:27:47 PM
"THAWK is the new Alex"

Discuss.

THawk is a nightmare...was playing online against someone who had his throw down....6 -8 throws then death....more dangerous than Gief I reckon......tic throw badness

Forget poke strings peeps he'll eat for breakfast.....had to play extreme runaways to win......condor dive is quick but punishable on block...careful Hadouken lovers....condor dive is built to destroy projectile spammers........characters that have to get in might have real problems........his EX condor dives are unreal too.....3 or more hit juggles......
"You'll never survive in the jungle"......

[8-----D] Toots

Quote from: DVS on May 03, 2010, 04:35:06 PM
THawk is a nightmare...was playing online against someone who had his throw down....6 -8 throws then death....more dangerous than Gief I reckon......tic throw badness

Forget poke strings peeps he'll eat for breakfast.....had to play extreme runaways to win......condor dive is quick but punishable on block...careful Hadouken lovers....condor dive is built to destroy projectile spammers........characters that have to get in might have real problems........his EX condor dives are unreal too.....3 or more hit juggles......

CrazyMobius

Quote from: moose! on May 03, 2010, 02:27:47 PM
"THAWK is the new Alex"

Discuss.

When Alex was first released he was compared to T.Hawk as a similar play style. Also Necro was described quite fittingly as a cross between Dhalsim and Victor from Darkstalkers.

stereomonkey

"I got that peanut butter chocolate flavour"

CptMunta

I'm also struggling against hawk. Is the key just to be more paitent? Punish his condor dives a spires?How do I outpoke him or footise him? Is it just zone and punish? I kinda need a generally speaking strat as I'm having issues with everyone.
Munta on the web: www.pavementart.co.nz
PSN: CptMunta

stereomonkey

Treat him like a easy version of Gief.  Don't get close because he is going to punish your pokes so zone him but don't do it like a retard.  Is there anyone here that is actually maining T.Hawk besides Gino?
"I got that peanut butter chocolate flavour"

zos'la

Hawk ain't hard to play against, he is no where near as scary as Gief in Vanilla or even Gief that is in SSF is still by farm stronger from my perspective.

Just avoid too much close contact but when you do make sure it counts.
Zoning and poking is the Key, he's is slow and have some unsafe moves which you can punish. You can cross him up all day and he can't really do much. Play against Crazy Mobius's Hawk and didn't find too much trouble after I understand what sorted char he is.
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Hawks normals are just as good as giefs IMO. I think you'll find they're both going to be just as threatening as each other. There is realistically only 1 or 2 subtle differences between them. Just like gief at the start of vanilla, once people stop thinking 'they're on the ground, I must grab them' and 'they're in the air, I must use my anti air' and start poking properly, then you'll see hawk on par with gief. Even now, if a decent gief player like Kevin picked up hawk, he could play him exactly the same as gief and do just as well with him.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

fluxcore

no retarded combos into a knockdown which sets up perfectly for mixups
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

moose!

Also: what's with Thunder H.'s jumping d.strong? Does this whiff on every non-jumping character?

I'd also like (once again) to reiterate how abnormally large he is.

[8-----D] Toots

Quote from: fluxcore on May 04, 2010, 09:22:56 AM
no retarded combos into a knockdown which sets up perfectly for mixups

This

Hawk doesn't have any bullshit atm the mome so he is a lot weaker than Gief. Hawks pokes are good but Giefs are just as good but from different ranges. Its much easier to out footsie Hawk as his close range normals are average at best. Gief literally has some of the best footsies in the game with normals like s.mp, c.lp, c.lk, and j.mk(important for jumping over pokes). It makes it very scary to push buttons when Gief is in sweep range as he has lots of good go to normals. Hawks spd does kaka damage while Giefs spd and suplex damage is left unchanged from vanilla. Hawk needs something scary before he will be considered good.

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Gah. See your point. Im failing at posting this morning.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

zos'la

Quote from: Toomeke on May 04, 2010, 09:41:41 AM
This

Hawk doesn't have any bullshit atm the mome so he is a lot weaker than Gief. Hawks pokes are good but Giefs are just as good but from different ranges. Its much easier to out footsie Hawk as his close range normals are average at best. Gief literally has some of the best footsies in the game with normals like s.mp, c.lp, c.lk, and j.mk(important for jumping over pokes). It makes it very scary to push buttons when Gief is in sweep range as he has lots of good go to normals. Hawks spd does kaka damage while Giefs spd and suplex damage is left unchanged from vanilla. Hawk needs something scary before he will be considered good.
good points just about to post similar facts :P
adding you can cross Hawk up all day where as Gief.. you can't even jump in without eating a full lariet + knockdown mix ups.

Kevin is just skill/exp base, end of story, any char he uses will give many of us a hard time.
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

CptMunta

All good stuff guys,
Cheers very much  :)

I guess it's his DP reversal was what was really throwing me off and making me think he was more dangerous of a grappler, being able to DP my Pokes up close, but I guess I shouldn't be there on wakeup int first place. Come to think of it his way of dealing with FBs is no where near as frightening as giefs I suppose, condor dive mixup, as apposed to banishing fist free SPD from the right range, or EX BF knockdown from a distance.

I'll just gief it out from now on, zone and maybe take the fight to him more on wake with crossups and what not. I just was going about fighting him the complete wrong way I guess. Cheers for the input.

Munta on the web: www.pavementart.co.nz
PSN: CptMunta