• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

DID YOU SEE THAT? That was the DAMAGER!

Main Menu

Fighting games: should they be more expensive?

Started by fluxcore, October 16, 2009, 10:32:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maelgrim

I think that angle on the money argument (who has spent the most on gear)
its not as important as who is able to spend the most time, which is where the money argument makes most sense. Those that can afford to play / compete full time or gain sponsorship to do so have a big step up.

Ive played competitive Wargaming, Magic the gathering (qualified for worlds) & Fencing (3rd in NZ) and yes all 3 have a financial barrier to be competitive, but once you are over that you find hundreds (or more) of others who have purchased the same gear as you and then its about who can afford the time.

I guess thats a slight divergence from the point of the post, to which I agree with Lenny. Good Article I guess it got me thinking about things in a different line :)

There is a definite market for people who think buying a stick will put them a step closer to becoming Daigo. But Daigo plays 7-8 hours a day against others who play similar hours :) not many can afford to do that. Being a gifted wonder player might get you noticed and some sponsorship but thats pretty lucky for minority sports.

Tell me something, Billy. How come a cute little guy like this can turn into a thousand ugly monsters?

fluxcore

Yeah, the point is that you only GET sponsorship opportunities when there is a significant cost involved with getting the good gear. Otherwise there's no real point in it for the sponsors. Or particularly the competitor.

The only further cost for competition would be travel and accommodation.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Quote from: Smoofologist on October 16, 2009, 01:48:51 PM
. There are so many other elements to some of these things, especially as competitive FPS and paintball are team sports.
Bro how come they dont have individual FPS comps, it's easier to train for, am i the ONLY one that hates working in Teams. I never come 2nd on COD4 free for all, but in teams it's random , either beasting by shit loads or getting thrashed so bad it's not worth trying to come back. Maybe you just need a really close team so you's are like in sync or some shit.
Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

maelgrim

Quote from: fluxcore on October 18, 2009, 07:46:45 PM
The only further cost for competition would be travel and accommodation.

In my experience these are the more important / desired.
Tell me something, Billy. How come a cute little guy like this can turn into a thousand ugly monsters?

fluxcore

Yes, but why would hotels or airlines sponsor a fighting gamer?

I'm trying to get people to think about WHY sponsors would sponsor us, or indeed anything.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

Lennysaurus

Quote from: fluxcore on October 19, 2009, 08:24:18 AM

I'm trying to get people to think about WHY sponsors would sponsor us, or indeed anything.

My quick wit and boyish good looks?

We need a fighting game sex symbol lol.  Need one of you dudes to get abs and pose half nekked with a joystick on a billboard!

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

maelgrim

They likely wouldn't. But I wasn't meaning sponsorship directly from them, but other parties who could fund the flights / accomodation.

This could include charitable trusts & other organisations like Caversham, Cuesports, Lion etc granted these specific examples are more Sports oriented but there are lots out there all willing to offer grants etc if a good case can be presented.

For wargaming you mentioned (and MTG) I have seen sponsorship given to individuals from local stores to attend events in Aus.

For the fighting scene specifically, event based sponsorship from local stores & vendors is the best way. Meaningful sponsorhip for events will only happen if a very high turnout can be guaranteed, this will be difficult with the community fractured like it is with Tekken off doing its own thing.

maelgrim

Quote from: Lennysaurus Rex on October 19, 2009, 09:15:15 AM

We need a fighting game sex symbol lol.  Need one of you dudes to get abs and pose half nekked with a joystick on a billboard!

There's a job for Smoof

HoneyBadger

Quote from: weazzyefff on October 18, 2009, 07:55:27 PM
Quote from: Smoofologist on October 16, 2009, 01:48:51 PM
. There are so many other elements to some of these things, especially as competitive FPS and paintball are team sports.
Bro how come they dont have individual FPS comps, it's easier to train for, am i the ONLY one that hates working in Teams. I never come 2nd on COD4 free for all, but in teams it's random , either beasting by shit loads or getting thrashed so bad it's not worth trying to come back. Maybe you just need a really close team so you's are like in sync or some shit.

That's because you play with pubbies. If you ever do get it on PC, I'll hook you up with some privates and you can see how much cooler things are playing with a good team of sponsored players.

I think another problem is how niche our perhipherals are. If you're sponsored by steel series for example, an SS mouse could be used for RTS, MMORPG and FPS, whereas I'm not about to play CoD on my TE. Imo there won't be any money for sponsors in it until they either bring out a huge fighting game franchise like pokemon or there's some weird arcade revival. I think with gaming making it into the mainstream though, there might be hope.

And fuck you Mael, my one ab will dominate the competition.
my mum found dark dawn on the DS.

that game is gonna get raped.

MUMMYHALA

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Quote from: Lennysaurus Rex on October 19, 2009, 09:15:15 AM

Say no more, i'll do it for the sake of the community. And i use to model for kelvin klein (sucker).
Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!