• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

Discipline. Justice. Commitment.

Main Menu

Recording HD gameplay

Started by mR_CaESaR, November 11, 2009, 02:34:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mR_CaESaR

Hey all (this is a post i made on an Australian forum and i thought it might help others out here too who's got the same type of questions regarding recording),

If you guys want to record 720p/1080i HD footage from your PS3/360 then this great little unit called the Hauppauge HD PVR.

it's pretty simple to record, just plug the respective cables into their respective slots, load up the software on the notebook/desktop and away you go.

The tutorial can be found below

So far, i've created a few quick vids from a few casuals on XBL on Saturday and yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=EFA112D2A09F7AB2&sort_field=added

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=DD5DD2C83815C7C7&sort_field=added

Yes, i'm not the greatest, yes i've got poor exeuction, but we can't all be like daigo in a matter of months :)

I only got this device the other day and i'm still testing out a few settings. I just thought that for those that want to capture their gameplay this device would be handy, even at the OHN finals or something or even fightclubs

Here's the intial test I did the other day (once again, sorry for the poor execution, I guess thats what the training room is for :D)

Settings are as follows:

XBOX 360 set to 720p connected via Component

Total Media Extreme set to record PAL60 1280x720 @ 60 FPS

I got the original m2ts file (206mb for 2:35 minutes), imported it to Windows Movie Maker and published it with "Windows Media HD 720p (PAL) (5.9Mbps)" settings under More settings.

Final size is almost half the original size at 111mb.

The setup i have right now is exactly as the tutorial ie. 360 to component input of the pvr, since its a passthrough, i output from the hd pvr to my tv.

What i would like to do in the future is this:

• Have a PS3 and X360 go into a HDMI switcher (to switch between PS3 and X360 - 2 input, 1 output),
  • The HDMI splitter go into a HDMI distributer (1 input, 3 output - to have the signal coming from the distributer to go into multiple sources, 1 being the tv, and one being a hdmi to component converter)
  • From the HDMI to component, put it to the HD PVR.
This setup will should allow me to record both PS3 and X360 gameplay (i'm not really sure how HDCP will affect this on the PS3 side), in theory it should allow me to record any HDMI input.

The unit costs about 300'ish dollars shipped from the US, I guess only can fathom if its expensive or not, for me, I guess it'll be used as a "training" tool, I can clearly see what I've done wrong and how to somewhat improve, plus i'm sure there'll be other stuff I'd record other then SFIV gameplay.

Any questions feel free to ask...

Cheers

Julius

mR_CaESaR

sorry, guys, I posted in the wrong forum, can the mods please move it to the Match Vids forum?

thanks

sorry again.

Skullator

Yea thats a really nice device.
Seems like overkill money to spend purely for recording street fighter matches though, PC version people can just use Fraps lol.

polenykes

i want one! there pretty sweet but i agree, fraps.

Will

Been looking at another capture device recently, this looks decent but my computer is lacking for HD editing, have to update that first >_<
Learning....

mR_CaESaR

Quote from: Skullator on November 12, 2009, 10:56:46 AM
Seems like overkill money to spend purely for recording street fighter matches though, PC version people can just use Fraps lol.

Yeah it might be overkill, however, for me, to get FRAPS to work properly on my PC, i'd need to buy a new CPU for fraps to work properly.

FRAPS runs like dog on my, it goes from 60fps when not recording to something ridiculous like 20fps when recording at 1280x720.

The price of CPU that can handle FRAPS is pretty much the same price i'd need to spend for this device, this allows any component input device to be recorded, so its an added bonus.

I would have liked to use FRAPS, but as mentioned, it jut didn't work well with my setup, I tried WeGame, but couldnt get sound to work for the life of me.

Will, I edit everything on my lower end laptop.

The Hauppauge does all the work, then streams it through via USB, the file out is put through windows movie maker and then i just save it as a 720p windows movie file and it'll take about 6 mins to convert a 3minute clip.

Once 10 clips are converted... i'll just upload to youtube over night.

stereomonkey

I say if it allows you to play at 1080p/i and lets you record it then it is hell worth it!  I think I might get one just for the sake of having one to record actual HD shit.
"I got that peanut butter chocolate flavour"

mR_CaESaR

Quote from: stereomonkey on November 12, 2009, 07:49:29 PM
I say if it allows you to play at 1080p/i and lets you record it then it is hell worth it!  I think I might get one just for the sake of having one to record actual HD shit.

It'll do 1080i not p.

IIRC there are no devices that can do 1080p over component.

electric

Quote from: mR_CaESaR on November 12, 2009, 08:25:55 PM

It'll do 1080i not p.

IIRC there are no devices that can do 1080p over component.

PS3 supports 1080p over component, so it's theoretically possible.
"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

Will

Quote from: mR_CaESaR on November 12, 2009, 07:09:36 PM
Quote from: Skullator on November 12, 2009, 10:56:46 AM

Will, I edit everything on my lower end laptop.

The Hauppauge does all the work, then streams it through via USB, the file out is put through windows movie maker and then i just save it as a 720p windows movie file and it'll take about 6 mins to convert a 3minute clip.

Once 10 clips are converted... i'll just upload to youtube over night.
Hmmm if thats the case then I might have a look at getting one of these, been wanting to record again for awhile but as I said my computer has been holding me back and I hate updating computers >_<
Learning....