• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

SFIV Option Selects tutorial vid

Started by fluxcore, February 12, 2010, 12:37:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

electric

Quote from: CrazyMobius on February 14, 2010, 09:13:12 AM
One question does the tick/throw option/select automatically select the light move with the quickest start up animation or will it always select the light kick?

Yup - the reason LK comes out instead of LP is because LK is higher in the command priority chain, for instance, if you press any two buttons together (providing it's not throw, focus or taunt... i.e. MP and HK) the highest button will always come out. Off the top of my head, the priority goes something like

Normals - LP, LK, MP, MK, HP, HK
Command normals (stuff like Guile's B+LK knee, Ryu's F+HP abortion punch)
Throw, Focus, Taunt
Specials
Super
Ultra

There are exceptions, but basically if you input any two things at the same time (try D, DF, F + LP +LK with Ryu) you should get a fireball instead of a throw because it's higher in the command priority chain

Hope that makes sense!
"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

CrazyMobius

So then option select throws would be quite rough for those with crappy LKs.

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Yes and no.

The faster the normal is, the more likely it is to interrupt them if they pause their string, since it comes out quicker.

But the fact of the matter is, noone has a lk crap enough to merit not doing it in a situation where it would normally be a good idea. (except maybe dhalsim? ive got no idea about the properties of his normals) youll still block, youll still tech the throw, and your lk will still hit them if they pause/walk forward etc.

The only thing you need to watch out for when defensively option selecting a throw through a blockstring is the monster mash or a sneaky neutral jump. You just need to know your ranges. You dont want to be whiffing a lk only to get counter hit by a c.mk -> combo because your opponent was too far away. (though the latter will most likely only happen if your opponent KNOWS youre option selecting. Which starts to get into bizarre levels of yomi.)

<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

massi4h

From what I've heard OST (option select tech) cant be beaten in block strings by some kara throws. The kara would add a frame or whatever and make them poke out their lk in which you grab them when they are poking the move out so the cant tech your throw.

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Quote from: massi4h on February 14, 2010, 03:09:49 PM
From what I've heard OST (option select tech) cant be beaten in block strings by some kara throws. The kara would add a frame or whatever and make them poke out their lk in which you grab them when they are poking the move out so the cant tech your throw.

This is true. The window is HELL tight though. If the lk hits during the movement portion of the kara, then the kara throw gets snuffed. This is where you would want a faster lk for your OST.
<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

Lennysaurus

I dont understand why they make throws a multi button command like this.

They should make them one button in close imo.

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

CrazyMobius

I think they got rid of that because it screws with command normals. Eg if you are right next to someone and want to to do a forward + fierce punch you can't because your character will try to throw.

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

That would make sense. To be honest, i prefer them to be two buttons. Feels mroe solid.
<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

CrazyMobius

I loved it in 3S because it gave you three throw states. Forward, neutral and backwards.

Barnstorm

Quote from: The Lenny 2.0 on February 14, 2010, 04:36:48 PM

na i think this is something that has been changed for the better
no accidental throws or slow as hp/hk to punish

i do think option selects are retarded tho
especially since it generally benefits the already good characters

fluxcore

Quote from: The Lenny 2.0 on February 14, 2010, 04:36:48 PM

lol, blame alpha 3
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

zos'la

this is good stuff, I've been doing some of this not knowing... but this gives me a clear idea of what when and how to use it properly :D kanpai to our knowledge base core!!!
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

CrazyMobius

Quote from: fluxcore on February 15, 2010, 09:13:49 AM
lol, blame alpha 3

Alpha 3's throw system was flawed also. How did Gief do Lariat in that game?!

stereomonkey

With Three Buttons

Throw was Forward/Backward + two buttons
"I got that peanut butter chocolate flavour"

CrazyMobius

Quote from: stereomonkey on February 15, 2010, 03:58:47 PM
With Three Buttons

Throw was Forward/Backward + two buttons

So I guess he would get a lot of throw wiffs when he missed his lariat  ???