• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

Mashmasters goodtimes

Started by CptMunta, February 16, 2010, 09:49:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CptMunta

Yahee for the mashmasters tourney goodtimes. Cheers for coming out. In the end it was a small affair but still alot of fun. Double elimination takes aaages!

Got photos too. For Aucklanders it could have been an average night at GIGA, Yifan's or at someones house. But little ol' CHCH it was pretty damn rad. Really took me back to the Wizards Free Play type of atmosphere. Goodtimes!

High points of the evening:

Scott vs Nick in the Losers final. Ryu vs Gouken
Sweep countered by Ryu's wakeup ultra for the win?!!! WTF!!!

Aragon vs Ari in the Mashmasters final. Hella footises with no blocking!

Ari, first time street fighter on Tatsunoko vs Capcom:
"This is the most ADD game I've ever played!"

CVS2, Tekken DR and Mortal Kombat 2 casuals in 42" HD. Mortal Kombat 2 was a real blast from the past. Jay was stoked to get some Tekken in. Next time maybe we'll get T6 happening for casuals, maybe even PSP to PSP if we have to just for laughs.

I went round to Scott's flat last night to see Quentin, Scott and Jay Playing SF4 all glued to the screen wanting to level up now that they've had more competition. They are also keen to meet up with MJT for some casuals this weekend if we can swing it somehow. Maybe at mine or at Scott's again if they are keen to host.

New CHCH punters. Keep an I out for Super Mashmasters Special special edition. Another tourney to celebrate the release of Super SF4.

Ideas:

2 Tourneys:

Main event,
Everyone chips in 5-7 bucks or so puts it in the pot. Top 3 win cash prizes. I'll also hunt down some more SF related goodies :) Another prize for the Mashmaster.

Two New Challengers Team Tourney,
We make teams, only allowed to select characters new to the SSF4 roster.

Maybe have an online component, exhibition matches. Challenge off against PSN's elite with Mics and tomfoolery.

My Bro's secret invite only location again. 3 or more setups maybe.
or
Gamestation, could be a launch event even. Open to public, could do some pavement art outside to help promote it. I'll talk to Jade and Shaun at Monaco and see what's up. Might be a good idea to see what's planned for Auckland and SSF4 before going hard out. We'll have a CHCH shindig all the same even if some of make it to a Super tourney in Auckland.

This is all pie in the sky ideas at the moment. Mostly depending on numbers. Good games locals. Let's level up!
Munta on the web: www.pavementart.co.nz
PSN: CptMunta

fluxcore

Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

zos'la

clap clap clap!!!!!
well organized muta!!! if I had another competition I would get you to be the comentator!!!
KEEP IT UP!!!
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

CptMunta

Quote from: fluxcore on February 16, 2010, 10:16:18 AM
Awesome stuff Marc!

Quote from: zosla on February 16, 2010, 02:26:12 PM
clap clap clap!!!!!
well organized munta!!! if I had another competition I would get you to be the comentator!!!
KEEP IT UP!!!

Cheers guys that tournament software came in real handy. As for commentating, I got a few vids of the action with me rambling over the action but they came out a bit wonky.

Chatted to the manager of Timezone today about maybe putting on a tourney. Sadly half our click are pad warriors so dunno if it would be worth it. Might be a good idea if something decent is up for grabs. Say credit or Sanwa parts.

zos'la

if you guys are pad warriors then no point doing it at teh arcades tbh... unless tehre is something very attractive for doing so. Console would be the way to go as you can go stick or pad though you won't have any prizes except forthose you organize.

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

I would get them into arcade personally. I highly recommend learning to use a stick for fighting games.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

redtie

That night was too cool Marc.

u dah man!

CvS2 and MK2 fatalities were a highlight. My stick came in yesterday so we've got another one to play around with. We needed some TTT. I'll be sure to bring my laptop next time to add some more games to the session.

Nick4now

Awesome night marc! Definitely gotta do it again! My Gouken wants some revenge on your Rose  >:( lol

The Self-proclaimed Christchurch Hyper Fighting 2011 Champion

CptMunta

How about a Super Street Fighter IV  tournament at Gamestation perhaps before or a after the release? And prizes from Monaco (Distributors of Capcom, Sega, Square, THQ games in New Zealand)?

Well talked to Shaun from Monaco and Jade from Gamestation and it's ON! Well pretty much on. Shaun was interested and so was Jade to host it.

I'm going to make up flyers and promo stuff once I get all the details. I'll also do pavement art to help spread the word.

So we got a venue, now all we need is the masses. Gamestation sold 4 SF4 TE sticks so there has to be other punters out there.

Our troop of 10 or so will be keen. Shit just got real. Almost.

Quote from: redtie on February 16, 2010, 06:02:04 PM
That night was too cool Marc.

u dah man!

CvS2 and MK2 fatalities were a highlight. My stick came in yesterday so we've got another one to play around with. We needed some TTT. I'll be sure to bring my laptop next time to add some more games to the session.

Quote from: Nick4now on February 16, 2010, 06:20:10 PM
Awesome night marc! Definitely gotta do it again! My Gouken wants some revenge on your Rose  >:( lol

Oh and cheers for coming guys. I hope you get some good use out of that EVO DVD and comic Nick (nice handle BTW ;) ) :)

Quote from: ILL_BILL on February 16, 2010, 03:39:21 PM
I would get them into arcade personally. I highly recommend learning to use a stick for fighting games.

Been trying to convert my brother for years, it's trying to convince him of the 1 step back 2 steps forward.

fluxcore

You wanna flick Lenny the monaco contact you have? Apparently Lenny's man has been a bit unresponsive.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

stereomonkey

Wow, great work Marc.  I be interested to come to the tourney too :D
"I got that peanut butter chocolate flavour"

zos'la

Shaun is teh production Manager from Monaco, he was the one who got us the National prizes.

Just a question about what you're doing, is this going to be in CHCH? this tournament thing you are doing.

stereomonkey

Seems to be the case since this thread is in the Christchurch board ;)
"I got that peanut butter chocolate flavour"

Darthfoxx

Hey guys, I'm a long time chch gamer of the timezone colombo scene you might have met me at some stage...I had a wee hiatus from gaming for a while, really cut down my game time when I got a PC and then soon after that my wife had our second child. I have 2 awesome young boys, so I spend a lot of time with my family, but I just started playin again since I got into SFIV recently, Marc flicked me an NZISM business card and here I am. Yo.
About my game: I used to have mad Tekken skills back in the TTT days... I got into Tekken 5, but not as much, and by the time Tekken 6 came around I had a busier schedule so I've only played it a little. I've enjoyed some time as one of chch's best CVS2 players and I'm still keen for a game of that, but atm I'm really trying to denoobify myself with Marc's help in SFIV lol. So yeah, thats my arcade stat sheet. Pleased to meet you all, hope to mash something soon. Got my eye on this stick so I can get some prac in at home. Would go for the HORI FS3 but I'm not made of money =)

Edit: Also a big PC gamer. I got a sweet rig and a great laptop for quick lans, plus a gamecube for mashing old classics. My xbox360 grew old and crotchety so I retired it...waiting to replace it with an xbox natal =)

redtie

GGs Marc, sorry I couldn't stay for long. Next week should be all good though. Went into uni and there's an xbox 360 set-up up stairs in one of the student common rooms and I think its permanent too. That might be the new meet up place haha

Nice job on setting up that tourney, we gotta get some hype on this. Do some payment art on the carpet in TZ, I'll keep a look out.

Went into that barber opposite dumplings for my haircut and they have a SF2:CE cabinet on free play in there.

@Darthfoxx, Welcome welcome bro. Was that you today? I was the Bison player. Its good to see us getting more players in. Fuck the mayflash bro, get one of these . Be looking forward to playing you more on SF4 and TTT

*edit: Shit I almost forgot I got a quick snapshot of the boys at our last session

Auckland ain't got shit on that