• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

Christchurch Timezone Street Fighter IV tournament

Started by CptMunta, March 03, 2010, 04:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CptMunta

Ok so here's the skinny:

Christchurch Timezone Street Fighter IV
South Island first public Street Fighter 4 tourney!

Date: April 3rd 2010

Time: sign ups and registration 12:30pm tournament start 1pm (i.e. get there early get some games in)

Prizes:

First Place:
Gift Station card to the value of $100

Second Place:
Gift Station card to the value of $50

Third Place:
$30 Timezone Powercard credit

1st and 2nd can choose their preferred Gift Station retailer...details of retailers on www.giftstation.co.nz

Rules:
Double elimination, (Basically loose twice and you're out.)
One 5 round game per match.

Winner of winners bracket plays winner of losers bracket for the finals. Winner of losers has to beat the winner twice to win. Winner of Winners bracket has to win only once (Basic evo rules and SFIV NZ national rules)
More in depth rules in the link below.
http://nzism.alphaism.com/forum/index.php/topic,541.0.html
Though obviously with some changes due to hardware and one 5 round game rather an best of 3 games

Price:

$5 entry fee

Register at Timezone Columbo Street or on the day. Earlier the better BTW

Also top 4 players will be seeded for the upcoming Super Street Fighter IV tournament at Gamestation late April early may (exact date to be confirmed)

Cheers Damon (aka Nomad) for hosting and the prizes  :D

Spread the word and start training! If you are a pad warrior and need some stick experience we have meet ups every Friday, details here: http://nzism.alphaism.com/forum/index.php/topic,1004.0.html

Fliers and posters on it's way.

Get hype South Island!  :o

disclaimer:

SF4 Controls locking up.

Most people who have touched the SF4 machine at timezone have noticed that every now and then the controls will all of a sudden midmatch either:

1) No input, both characters
Both characters stay in idle stance for a second or so then play resumes normally.

2) Freeze on last input, One or both characters
Character/s stay ducking/walking forward etc.

So with the tourney coming up what do we do?

Hopefully timezone find the root of the problem. (I'd suggest testing the USB slots with other controllers, that way you just gut two check Sticks that use quick disconnects and use their PCBs and wiring)

In the meantime the rules are as follows:

If the controls noticeably freeze for both players.

Both players wait for a second, test the controls and when both are ready and agree to continue the match. Like we are doing now basically.

Controls noticeably freeze for one player.

The players who's controls freeze must call it out. Other player most stop attacking till he regains control. Players taking advantage (Throwing out an, Ultra, Command throw, High damage move) will automatically loose the round. (Judge's call). Also judge will decide whether complaint is legit (Test stick quickly, notice that an obvious block was missed etc...). Players that cry wolf may need to rematch on backup setup or will automatically throw the round.

WTF moments.
If any other tech malfunction happens that can't be settled Judge may decide to have a rematch on the backup setup. (Laptop) Only catch is judges must vote whether it's worth doing. Might be a good idea if the controls freeze just before the time ends on low health.

We do need to run the majority of this tourney on the TZ hardware so if it's not fixed by then or breaks I think this rule set will help. If there are problems with the machine before the tourney I'll make sure everyone entering knows these rules. And will print them out.

It's not really too big an issue but it's best inform people and avoid problems down the road. :)

Munta on the web: www.pavementart.co.nz
PSN: CptMunta

Nick4now

Shot Marc! You did great job setting all of this up! And thanks Nomad for hosting and the sweet prizes   :D

The Self-proclaimed Christchurch Hyper Fighting 2011 Champion

fluxcore

Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

CptMunta

Just realized it's the same weekend as Cloud Lan.
I dunno if any of you CHCH peeps were going fly up to check out Super SF4 if it's there and compete in a pretty awesome sounding event. I had to move it for CHCH Armageddon. We were thinking of having posters and flyers there for people to sign up maybe.

I wonder what Monaco's presence will be like at CHCH Armageddon? I know timezone was going to have a SF4 machine there but the machine is too fragile. Super preview would be a great idea.

propafanda

Nice work CptMunta with managing this event, and Damon for hosting those cool gift prizes. I will sign up the sooner the better before the day. See thoughs SFIV fans there and all peep new comers out there.  :)
Can you still enter it Mark?

Nice games of cvs2 yesterday Darth. Yep your Haomaru has still got it. Nice winning streaks by both of us well my A-groove team  ;D

CptMunta

I dunno how everyone feels about me entering.

If you guys have an issue with it then I can step down, it's all good.  I would use the prize money to buy God of War 3  :D Or even just entering the tourney with Honda or random select for fun. It's pretty much anyone's game  I reckon with a month to train and level up.

Scott and Jay will enter if we can somehow get pad supported. Laptop running brackets too maybe? TZ might not be too happy about that though.

I made some fliers last night to give the locals but they have a different NZism logo on them and typo which I've fixed with black marker. If we get fliers printed and posters I'll put some in EB in town and Gamestation as well maybe. Gotta get numbers up, more peeps at Timezone the more we get at gamestation, the bigger and better we can make these events. Regionals to Nationals to Transtasmans to Evo hmmmmm.....  8)

zos'la

Quote from: CptMunta on March 05, 2010, 09:25:55 AM

If you guys have an issue with it then I can step down, it's all good.  I would use the prize money to buy God of War 3  :D Or even just entering the tourney with Honda or random select for fun. It's pretty much anyone's game  I reckon with a month to train and level up.

Scott and Jay will enter if we can somehow get pad supported. Laptop running brackets too maybe? TZ might not be too happy about that though.

I made some fliers last night to give the locals but they have a different NZism logo on them and typo which I've fixed with black marker. If we get fliers printed and posters I'll put some in EB in town and Gamestation as well maybe. Gotta get numbers up, more peeps at Timezone the more we get at gamestation, the bigger and better we can make these events. Regionals to Nationals to Transtasmans to Evo hmmmmm.....  8)

I don't see why not Marc? you entering is just like myself organizing trhe previous tournaments in auckland and entering too. It would be lame if I can't enter when I'm a organizer as I did it for everyone including myself and I think it goes the same to u. Its not like the guys don't trust you and at the end of the day its all about if you got teh skills to get to the top.
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

stereomonkey

I may try to make it down for the weekend for this :D
"I got that peanut butter chocolate flavour"

Nick4now

Quote from: CptMunta on March 05, 2010, 09:25:55 AM

I don't see why you shouldn't enter. It would suck winning the tourney without beating you  ;D

The Self-proclaimed Christchurch Hyper Fighting 2011 Champion

fluxcore

Small tournament, I can see no functional reason why you couldn't enter. If it was something like our nats though, there's no way the organisers could enter. I didn't even get to watch any matches other than the finals, let alone have enough time to play in one.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

CptMunta

Quote from: stereomonkey on March 05, 2010, 09:45:34 AM
I may try to make it down for the weekend for this :D

Do it bro, we've got a spare room for you and even your Mrs if you do. And if you do, bring TVC. Love that game  :)

Yeah am going to enter the tourney now cheers for the input guys. We've got 100 fliers and a few posters floating about. Now that most of the confirming is out of the way I got get dates locked in for the Super tourney.

CptMunta