• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

Giga 2v2 Tournamet feed back/ talks

Started by zos'la, March 06, 2010, 09:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stereomonkey

So what were the rules now?  Looks like every game was best of five rounds, fuck that shit.
"I got that peanut butter chocolate flavour"

samurai black

it changed like 3 times.

anyway, smoof was tourney hero rocking the solo sagat. and then dying inbetween games.

Quote from: CoffinDrop1 on March 06, 2010, 09:38:19 PM
Thanks to my partner in crime Manawakore for team 100 hands 

bro, is he on PSN? i wanna get more games in against his gen, it was fun playing him

Skullator

Quote from: zosla on March 07, 2010, 12:39:02 PM
you like those don't you boyz? helps to manifest xD lawl.

Well I just hope everyone had a good time and experience, Tournament nerves are something you will get used to after a while.  Skullator... you really have to stop shaking, LOL

Haha yeah.. it's not like I'm scared or it effects my execution I don't think, it's just adrenaline \ hype I would say.

stereomonkey

Quote from: samurai black on March 07, 2010, 01:02:03 PM
it changed like 3 times.

anyway, smoof was tourney hero rocking the solo sagat. and then dying inbetween games.

Nice one smoof, but what do you mean "inbetween games"?

samurai black

he was just fucked. down with the sickness

stereomonkey

Kinetic_IQ

Quote from: samurai black on March 07, 2010, 01:02:03 PM
bro, is he on PSN? i wanna get more games in against his gen, it was fun playing him
Yeah bro, I'm on PSN. Add me: Manawakore.

Thanks Coffin for carrying a scrub! btw may be you should go by Ninjadrop the way u threw smokebombs yesterday ;D

Mean day boys. Good to meet everybody i got to talk to. Awesome to watch all the games. Mad props to Devilstar. Thanks Zosla for organising a good day and those ice cold 'high official manifestations'!

Looking forward to ranbats!!!
Formerly manawakore. Had to switch it up.

Skullator

Quote from: stereomonkey on March 07, 2010, 01:32:02 PM
Nice one smoof, but what do you mean "inbetween games"?

To clarify, Smoof's team mate was Ben, but Smoof was first in order.
I'm guessing some OCV's happened. And inbetween games probably means during casuals.

zos'la

Quote from: stereomonkey on March 07, 2010, 12:45:23 PM
So what were the rules now?  Looks like every game was best of five rounds, fuck that shit.

they rules did not change but some just got confused so I had to slightly change it, though it was not 5 rounds.
2/3 rounds and 2/3 game.

Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

[8-----D] Toots

Hey yall sorry if I raged at anyone yesterday was just in a shitty mood and then the way the tourney ran didn't help  :P

For the most part the tourney was pretty cool. Good shit to Kevin and Cody for being out of practice and still beasting the tournament from losers bracket.

The biggest problem of the day was obviously the lag on the tv's. Although the results may not have changed much on less laggy setups I think the overall quality of play was lower as a result. Laggy setups have been a common problem in almost every tourney that we have ran so far. I personally would like to see some kind of standard put in place for future tourneys whether it be playing on lcd monitors that are proven to be lag free or on CRT tv's. Personally I would prefer CRT's as they are cheap, almost guaranteed to be lag free and most people will have one lying around at home. Thoughts?

Another problem was the format of the tourney. I guess I am part to blame for this because I brang up the problem but only because  either a) people were confused as to what the initial tourney format was or b) the initial format was actually a little messed up as I understood it. The format was then changed to a mikado style format, one set, 3/5 round games. This was not ideal but it was done inorder to prevent anymore confusion. Then somewhere along the way (In the top four???) the format was changed to best of three sets, 2/3 round games. This was pretty iritating to see. The increased amount of sets are fine but changing the amount of rounds per game at any point in the tourney was a pretty bad move.It was much like the decision to let Hue play for Simon in our very first tourney. Sure it may not have changed much in terms of results but It took away the integrity of the event.

Anyway thanks for running the tourney Andy. Although I have problems with the way the tournaments have ended up running at least your actually doing something which is pretty cool.

zos'la

Quote from: Toomeke on March 07, 2010, 02:12:40 PM
Hey yall sorry if I raged at anyone yesterday was just in a shitty mood and then the way the tourney ran didn't help  :P

For the most part the tourney was pretty cool. Good shit to Kevin and Cody for being out of practice and still beasting the tournament from losers bracket.

The biggest problem of the day was obviously the lag on the tv's. Although the results may not have changed much on less laggy setups I think the overall quality of play was lower as a result. Laggy setups have been a common problem in almost every tourney that we have ran so far. I personally would like to see some kind of standard put in place for future tourneys whether it be playing on lcd monitors that are proven to be lag free or on CRT tv's. Personally I would prefer CRT's as they are cheap, almost guaranteed to be lag free and most people will have one lying around at home. Thoughts?

Another problem was the format of the tourney. I guess I am part to blame for this because I brang up the problem but only because  either a) people were confused as to what the initial tourney format was or b) the initial format was actually a little messed up as I understood it. The format was then changed to a mikado style format, one set, 3/5 round games. This was not ideal but it was done inorder to prevent anymore confusion. Then somewhere along the way (In the top four???) the format was changed to best of three sets, 2/3 round games. This was pretty iritating to see. The increased amount of sets are fine but changing the amount of rounds per game at any point in the tourney was a pretty bad move.It was much like the decision to let Hue play for Simon in our very first tourney. Sure it may not have changed much in terms of results but It took away the integrity of the event.

Anyway thanks for running the tourney Andy. Although I have problems with the way the tournaments have ended up running at least your actually doing something which is pretty cool.

Thanks Ben, good feed back I'll make sure such things will be treated with more care next time.
A few things I just wanted to point out as many was not my decision.

1: LCD monitors always had a problem but at RVB it wasn't"? it was only teh ones at Giga which didn't like the PS3.

2: The format was changed for Finals as I took advice from Lenny who I believe to have seen more on how tournaments have run compared to myself.
We have about 2 hours left for top 4, by finals we had an hour left. I thought having a longer finals would make things a bit more interesting, the finals were best out of 5 rounds first to 3 rounds and best of 3 games first to 2. I understand what you're stating but as I said I lack knowledge it tournament rules and hence why I have always ask you guys for advice.

So to be clear, I believe our stand console we should use would be the xbox360 and have someone set some standard rules unless other wise stated?
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

geneterror

Quote from: Toomeke on March 07, 2010, 02:12:40 PM
Bro I can't imagine you raging at anyone about anything, you have way to much of a shoeless hippy vibe goin' on ;D

Bummed I couldn't make this, had some shit goin' on. Hope to catch up with you all some time soon.
KOW 2011

Skullator

All good Ben, and I agree with you big time on the lag and other issues.

I think in future we should run important matches on PC monitors. 24", Hdmi port, built in speakers (or external audio)
CONFIRMED ZERO LEG \ DELAY \ 2 MS RESPONSE TIME (WHICH DOESN'T MATTER BUT!! lol)

That is how Evo roll I'm pretty sure
Then if we want.. we can use a projector for spectating purposes.

My monitor I'm using now is like this.. can be use at events.. I took it Xlan last year.

fluxcore

Evo has ever-so slightly more money and sponsorship than the NZ scene does...
However I'm a little surprised nothing was done about the lag considering an alternative is available right at GIGA. I guess too few sticks was the problem.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

Skullator

Quote from: fluxcore on March 07, 2010, 03:16:35 PM
Evo has slightly ever-so much more money and sponsorship than the NZ scene does...
However I'm a little surprised nothing was done about the lag considering an alternative is available right at GIGA. I guess too few sticks was the problem.

True, but we can just have like 1 important set up for this purpose, and the monitor can be the one I'm on now.
Oh and yeah Lenny bought up funds yesterday, hopefully Ranbats will be decent fundraising but let us know if anything else springs to mind? I'll be attending the Auckland ranbats as often as possible.
Edit: Actually.. ranbats costs probably cover venue and not much more lol.. my bad.

Oh well I have a pretty coushy networking job so if you guys ever come up short a bit.. just let me know.