• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

I suck hard against Boxers

Started by Skullator, March 07, 2010, 11:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skullator

Many others for that matter! But quite often.. I find myself completely outclassed by the very skilled boxer players. I believe this is to do with my "Defensive by nature" style which I adapted in order to bait\dodge\block Shoryukens.
Sitting back \ walking back against boxers too much seems to get my shit rushed down before too long..

My neutral jump headgames are often quite unsafe due to headbutt..

I know Standing fierce is a great poke for chun in the match, and standing HK decent AA.. but it just seems balrog is always able to build the one bar of meter he needs to EX rush rape really easily due to my lack of pressure (Poke his armor, punished)

Any tips on the matchup appreciated..

zos'la

I'll have to play fong and Ben more to give you any tips, as I have found the matchup quiet hard as well.

THough I do believe you will need to kekoken more and of course on teh def/ poke side of game.
crouching Mid P/ S.FP are both good for AA and if he is really close up then S.MK is great.
On knock down, you know the game, just don't get Headbutt ultra or ex Rushed as then your back to square one.
I would also recommend L.k cancel into EX BK to cancel the rush / EX rush.
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

Rorooze

there is a great movie on youtube about the chun-li vs boxer match up, it really does make the fight look as if chun-li has the advantage. I'll try find it when I'm not at work for you. It was on iplaywinner.com so if you look through some of the videos they have posted on there I'm sure you'll find it.

Basically, chun has the advantage if she stays outside balrogs sweep range, you can throw balrog out of ex punches, her pokes outside of sweep range will beat most of balrogs and lastly balrog can never jump in unless chun is knocked down because she can use s.fp or s.rh. Even then balrog can't cross up so it's not as bad as being knocked down against a lot of other characters.

There is a chun on xbl called 'gunslingermeeks' from ozhadou that knows the match really well, but you're on PSN! :(

massi4h

You know I don't play Chun very well. But as with Ryu doing c.mk hit confirming or OSing to shoryu on any dash punch, EX or normal, I'm sure you could probably do the same with c.lk to EX legs with the piano method or maybe EX SBK might work? Or else she does have better pokes and that's generally what her game is based on and you can safe jump his headbutts then punish with an EX legs combo or whatever so I guess make sure you're jumping alot earlier than most characters since her jump is bloody high and long. Slow kikokens should work good midscreen and TAPs are easy to punish. A setup I just thought of that might work (not too sure on Chun's frame data) is maybe after a knockdown: Instant jump back overhead and I think you could probably punish his reversal dash straight with Ultra? It would be easy to buffer and check.

electric

I'm not claiming to be a pro either on this match up, but hopefully I can lend a hand here:

EX Rush punch: ALL of these can be thrown on reaction. Straight, low, overhead... the lot. Chun has one of the best throw ranges in the game - make sure you react to the yellow flash and throw that mother fucker before he gets his fist out. I do (well... I'm supposed to) similar things with Abel and his EX Tornado throw.

HP is definitely a great tool in this match. Kikoken and punish any jumps with close/far standing HP, utilise your normal zoning game and you should be fine... Make sure that if you do end up getting rushed down, you stay calm and tech throws etc.

Once you get super, Balrog had very few offensive options that don't end up with him getting his teeth kicked in. All his rush punches and his sweep are all susceptible on block. Build that meter and make him scared of it. Even just walking in to mid range and crouch blocking can be a huge threat when you have super.

If you can frustrate Boxer by zoning him really well and building meter, you've won half the battle.
"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

[8-----D] Toots

Quote from: Rorooze on March 08, 2010, 08:25:30 AM

Basically, chun has the advantage if she stays outside balrogs sweep range, you can throw balrog out of ex punches, her pokes outside of sweep range will beat most of balrogs and lastly balrog can never jump in unless chun is knocked down because she can use s.fp or s.rh. Even then balrog can't cross up so it's not as bad as being knocked down against a lot of other characters.

This

I think that this match is pretty even. By using your kikokens correctly and keeping out side of boxer's sweep range you can shut down a large proportion of his ground game. By shutting down his ground game you limit the amount of metre he can build to use on random ex dash punches. He is then reliant on random jab straights and jump-ins which aren't great options either. Once boxer get's in on you, which he will most likely, the match shifts in to his favour. If you can tech throws block overheads and resist trying to out poke Rog then you should do ok. Punish a blocked overhead with shorts into lighting legs. Be careful when using your ex sbk on a Rog thats jumping in on you on wakeup as his jump-ins will stuff it if done correctly......Jump Fierce Fierce into whatever works pretty damn good on boxer too.

Don't listen to Mason either. Boxer can punish instant jump back overhead with a few things.

zos'la

yeah I think the guys above have got most of teh details down for the match up, though It would pay to watch some videos from top Balrog player Vs Chun to get a better grip.
I will personally try and get some matches with Fong and Ben in the near future for the match up experience. Both Ryu and Chun xD

Lennysaurus

If its any help  I used to do OS Standing forward _> hands alot against boxer with gen and it shut him down pretty bad.  Maybe chun can do similar?

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

xpunch

um ima try and give sum advice since i main boxer but ben and fong wud be more helpful. anyways, you got a fair idea on what to do against boxers overhead, block high then punish or you cud throw him out of it, also keep an eye on his super bar when throwing kikoken's as he cud be watchn ur kikoken patterns and waiting for the perfect time lining up a ex dash upper combo.

when i played your chun i noticed you walked forward with ur light kikoken and poked out s.hp most times or sometimes that overhead kick special move she does, i always focused ur fireballs to see what you will do , i done it enough to make you think that il always focus ur fireballs, but when ever i had ultra chraged i waited for you to walk up after ur kikoken then i used headbutt into ultra i got you everytime with that during our matches.

I think mixing up ur moves after kikoken is good also maybe it wud be good to walk up with the fireball and throw out nothing baiting a headbutt or dash upper as you can block both headbutt and dash upper. um... if you see boxer is crouching he cud be lining up a headbutt also you cud throw him out of his ex dash moves once he sees you walking and throws it out. and always be ready to throw after a whiffed ex dash upper recovery is so fast that the throw comes out just like that.

also when i played you i noticed that as soon as you had ur kikoken charged after walking back you always fireballed where i think i punished with i ex dash punches maybe try and throw out a few punchs b4 throwing the kikoken as i kinda caught on to ur patterns. i do that so much with rog i dash punch as soon as they are charged and i get punished form a neutral jump hk into combo etc...

there is a video on xbl champion mode replay where shizza24 (top american chun pad player) wins agaisnt a good boxer player also it has a video where the boxer player beats out shizza so im guessing its an even match just gotta play more boxer's

thats it for now and i hope i didnt give shit advice also just let me know guys if my advice is stupid lol tried my best good luck in future matches thomas  ;D

Skullator

Thanks all.. sifting through these amazing replies at work now and it's just opened my eyes onto all the stuff I was missing or only ever doing by accident and not really "taking it in completely" if you know what I mean..
Seriously good tips all, chur! Look forward to putting them into practice

zos'la

Quote from: xpunch on March 08, 2010, 11:15:48 AM
um ima try and give sum advice since i main boxer but ben and fong wud be more helpful. anyways, you got a fair idea on what to do against boxers overhead, block high then punish or you cud throw him out of it, also keep an eye on his super bar when throwing kikoken's as he cud be watchn ur kikoken patterns and waiting for the perfect time lining up a ex dash upper combo.

when i played your chun i noticed you walked forward with ur light kikoken and poked out s.hp most times or sometimes that overhead kick special move she does, i always focused ur fireballs to see what you will do , i done it enough to make you think that il always focus ur fireballs, but when ever i had ultra chraged i waited for you to walk up after ur kikoken then i used headbutt into ultra i got you everytime with that during our matches.

I think mixing up ur moves after kikoken is good also maybe it wud be good to walk up with the fireball and throw out nothing baiting a headbutt or dash upper as you can block both headbutt and dash upper. um... if you see boxer is crouching he cud be lining up a headbutt also you cud throw him out of his ex dash moves once he sees you walking and throws it out. and always be ready to throw after a whiffed ex dash upper recovery is so fast that the throw comes out just like that.

also when i played you i noticed that as soon as you had ur kikoken charged after walking back you always fireballed where i think i punished with i ex dash punches maybe try and throw out a few punchs b4 throwing the kikoken as i kinda caught on to ur patterns. i do that so much with rog i dash punch as soon as they are charged and i get punished form a neutral jump hk into combo etc...

there is a video on xbl champion mode replay where shizza24 (top american chun pad player) wins agaisnt a good boxer player also it has a video where the boxer player beats out shizza so im guessing its an even match just gotta play more boxer's

thats it for now and i hope i didnt give shit advice also just let me know guys if my advice is stupid lol tried my best good luck in future matches thomas  ;D

This is putting gameplay into example, very impressive!!!
I play you skullator enought to notice all those things that xpunch has mentioned and alot of those are where you fail as a  Chun player as these will cause you to lose teh game. You need to adjust your gameplay a bit more and not repeating moves.

Skullator

Ya but andy.. my Chun is completely different vs boxer than it is vs ryu.. completely different game.

I attempt any mix up or pressure against you, it's almost ALWAYS punishable by you or completely unsafe.
That is why I value Xpunch's post alot more than you telling me to be "Less repetative"
Forgive me for not having mashable Shoryuken safety net, and a rediculously slow jump in comapred to yours. (You can jump my Kikou's and punish, I can jump your Hadou's and Eat SRK :)

But having said all that.. I know my Chun has a long long way to go, and I need to get over playing strange at tournaments too, so thanks.

massi4h

OK fine my post was made of fail. I'm not gonna help anymore til it's characters I actually use properly.

Rorooze

here is the video I was talking about earlier. some real good shit in it for chun vs boxer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqjsI4ciG2g

Skullator

Cheers bro! Will look at it soon as I get home from my work, leaving now haha.

EDIT: absolutely amazing vid! Will be grinding this hard and hopefully.. download complete! Thanks everyone for all imput, remember it's the thought that counts Mason hahaha, we are all mates here not like SRK.