• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

Newbies: feel free to ask for help! We can do training sessions online as well!

Main Menu

SSF4 frame data

Started by [NIUE] B1ackstar Ninja, April 24, 2010, 11:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

[NIUE] B1ackstar Ninja

maybe a mod could sticky this . thought we could put new ssf4 frame data in here .
I can start , found the official frame data from the upcoming prima guide for dudley , cody , ibuki , guy hakan and juri

http://levelup-series.com/cicada/

will try and find the others asap

oh and lol lol lol
http://levelup-series.com/cicada/juristroll.gif
"Attack me if you dare , i will crush you "

zos'la

wish I know how to read these data LOL...
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

massi4h

I don't mind explaining this stuff to you Andy. It is actually good to understand these things.

zos'la

yeah would be good.. I might actually improve a little if I know these stuff xD

massi4h

OK then, I'm not the biggest expert but I'll do my best. And prepare for a lot of writing.

So basically there are 60 frames that the game handles per second, so each frame is 1/60th of a second or 16.67 milliseconds. The frame data tells you how many frames each move lasts for etc.

Lets take a look at Juri's frame data: http://levelup-series.com/cicada/SSF4_JuriFrames.pdf

We can see each move is broken down into Startup, Active, Recovery, Advantage on Block and Advantage on Hit.

So lets look at her standing jab. It has 4/3/5/+4/+7.

So what this tells us is that her jab takes 4 frames (will hit on the 4th frame) from when you push the button to when her hand is physically able to hit the opponent. Then for 3 frames it is active, then after it is active it must recover for 5 frames.

Here's a diagram:

Frame 1: starting up
Frame 2: starting up
Frame 3: starting up
Frame 4: jab can hit opponent
Frame 5: jab can hit opponent
Frame 6: jab can hit opponent
Frame 7-11: recovering from jab
Frame 12: free to do whatever you want.

So say you are in a Juri mirror and you press jab while your opponent presses fierce and you both do this at the exact same time. Fierce takes 10 frames to start up while yours takes 4, so you will be in active frames before your opponent meaning you will hit them and they won't hit you and you will score a counter hit. That was pretty obvious, but its a basic concept.

Now we have advantage on hit and advantage on block. Advantage on hit tells you if you can combo 2 moves or not. When you hit an opponent it does a certain amount of "hitstun." Juri's LP (Far) has +7 on hit, which means after the move have finished recovering, your opponent is still comboable for 7 frames. So that means that any move that has 7 frames or less of startup will combo off it if it reaches (eg MP but not HP), less frames of startup the bigger gap you have to combo.

The same thing applies to advantage on block, and this is called "blockstun." It means when someone blocks a move it shows how many frames they are stuck blocking. They can't stand up/crouch/jump or do anything. So if we look at her crouching LP, we can see that it is +0 on block. This can be a good move to do a tick throw off.
All throws have a 3 frame startup (except Gouken) so if you do c.LP immediately into throw, the throw will come out on the third frame that the person can attack. So if they are not jumping (or mashing a shoryuken, will explain later) then the throw will connect. Optimally you want at least +2 on block so that the throw will connect on their first frame of being able to do anything. If you did standing LP to throw, (standing LP is +4 on block) then they will still be in blockstun and the throw will whiff (if you could throw people while they are in blockstun it would be bloody cheap).

A couple more things to cover.

Invincibility: Some moves have invincible frames where you cannot get hit during these frames, frame data charts don't usually have these values though. For example a shoryuken. IIRC shoryukens (ryu, ken, akuma) have 3 frames of startup and all 3 frames are invincible. Another example is Rufus' EX messiah kick. A common Rufus strategy is to do a galactic tornado, when blocked it leaves Rufus at -1. Nothing in the game except Zangief's Ultra can punish it (super is just as fast, akumas as well, but doesn't reach).
Now his EX messiah kick has 11 frames of startup and all of those frames are invincible. This means in that 1 frame of advantage you have when blocking, if you press any move thats total frames is more than 12 (anything other than a crouching jab) you will be hit by the EX messiah cause it will be invincible through your move and then hit you during your recovery. This is called a frame trap is pretty much the basis of how viper plays alot of the time when applying pressure.

I'll quickly talk about cancels. Any normal move that can be special cancelled, can can cancel the active frames it has into a special move. Such as Ryu's crouching HP to fireball combo. They cannot link together because the c.HP recovers too slowly. Even on hit it is -13, so your opponent would recover 13 frames before you. So if you didn't cancel the c.HP your opponent could punish you with an ultra (10 frame start up) even though you hit them.

OK so what are the main applications?

Knowing that a shoryuken is 3 frames any move you see in a data chart that is -3 or less on block, means you have a free shoryuken if you block it. Or a throw if you are in range or a crouching jab if your jab is a 3 frame. If a bison is doing multiple crouching shorts in a row (3 frame startup only +1 on block) gives you 1 frame in which if you do a shoryuken you will beat his next crouching short. This is a shitty block string and if you mash a shoryuken through it it is the bison player's own fault for risking it. Just generally knowing what you can punish with what move is what is really important. If you know that a move is -6 then instead of punishing it with a throw you can start a combo with standing fierce with most characters. Like if you block a light kick tiger knee, instead of going for shoryuken or throw if you know your character has a stronger move/combo starter 6 frames or less you can use that.

Long read, I don't know why I wrote so much. Hopefully clears some stuff up for people. If anyone reads it lol. Correct my mistakes anyone.

Also eventhubs guide: http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2009/feb/17/how-read-frame-data-street-fighter-4/

xpunch

good info bro  ;) i don't know anything about this stuff, shotties  ;D

Skullator

zos'la

holy f.
thanks for the info, no one actually bothered going thorugh it with me.
Big ups to you mason^^
now I understand more... ;D

electric

Really useful and well written post Mason - thanks for taking the time to write it out... I'm sure it'll be really helpful to a lot of newer players, or even some of the old vets who aren't sure why something works the way it does. That post is S-rank for sure.
"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

massi4h

I've been waiting for you to correct me lol.

Lennysaurus

Yeah good post mason.  I knew all this already.  I am very smart.  Smarter than all of you.

'Nuff said.

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

electric

Quote from: massi4h on April 26, 2010, 09:43:56 AM
I've been waiting for you to correct me lol.

Hahaha - it all seemed really legit actually... 10 bonus points for including the "main applications" section.

Quote from: The Lenny 2.0 on April 26, 2010, 09:50:53 AMYeah good post mason.  I knew all this already.  I am very smart.  Smarter than all of you.

+1 for truth.
"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

Gankatron

Gino

[SAS]akuma1nz

Yo U-Man u gota I phone havnt u? Get the app off there with all the players moves, tech stuff & all frame data aswell... It's mud cauz I've got it but don't understand it... 2 lazy 2 read Masons story!!!
Yo boys keen for a jam at my pad in da wknds jst flick me a txt... Live in REWA HARD!!! 0212550433 or 0226772386

DEATH IS TOO GOOD FOR YOU... FOOL!!!