• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

Auckland - Black Box Session 9 21/01/07

Started by fluxcore, January 12, 2007, 03:44:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fluxcore

Sunday, 21. January
Waipuna Hotel and Conference Centre, Mt Wellinton, Auckland.
$20 entry

Relevant tournaments are Tekken5 (PS2) and Super Smash Bros Melee (Gamecube).

Bring Your Own Controller (BYOC)

More info:
http://pulpspace.net.nz/joomla/index.php?option=com_mls_events&task=details&eventid=1&Itemid=103

--flux
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

fluxcore

Apparently having talked to the instigator of BBS, they are happy to have side tourneys as well... including a DOA tourney. Perhaps we could organise a 3s or MvC2 tourney at one of their upcoming events (they are held every 3 months)? Have to sound out how many people would be interested in such a thing.

--flux
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

geneterror

I need to get onto a few of my gaming mates then but would be keen for MvC2, 3S and most of all CvS2!
KOW 2011

fluxcore

Quote from: geneterror on January 15, 2007, 11:24:17 AM
I need to get onto a few of my gaming mates then but would be keen for MvC2, 3S and most of all CvS2!

Get that Shosho up & running :D
--flux

Ulrira

I'd be keen for some kind of 3rd strike tournament. I'm down in wellington at the moment but i'll be back up on the 7th of feb.

fluxcore

Quote from: Ulrira on January 15, 2007, 02:15:26 PM
I'd be keen for some kind of 3rd strike tournament. I'm down in wellington at the moment but i'll be back up on the 7th of feb.

Obviously that'll miss the upcoming event, but since that's so soon there's really no chance of at least me organising anything, so no loss. I think the next one is Easter, which is unfortunate because I'll probably on holiday with my girlfriend, but we'll see how things go. We can still get something going!

--flux

Fate

Hey Ulrira, I was thinking of going into Welly tomorrow (Wednesday), wanna have some 3rd strike casuals?
I'm probably gonna be in town most of the day, but I'll probably leave around 4-5.

So if you aren't working average hours that could work?

Ulrira

Ya ok. I can't make any promises though. If I see you there I'll see you there. =D

And I know it's really hard to get good 3s comp in wellington. You played anyone good here?

Fate

Not great, nope. The only arcade I know with 3s is the timezone down courtenay place, so i'll probably be there. If you know anywhere better I'll go there?

Anyway, I'll be wearing a light blue Volcom T shirt, so if you see me there come have some games.
And I've found out i'll probably be there earlier, but whatever :D

fluxcore

From what I understand, the Tekken 5 part of this tourney did not take place due to lack of turn out (4/64 entrants? Bullshit! Get your act together, Tekkenites!)

--flux

Wugga

Yeah, there were some extra dudes there that didn't actually enter for a tournament I think... they came over to me to talk shit about DOA, but when I told them to man up and win the tournament (since they think it's so easy), they claimed to be broke - and at BBS you only have to pay once to enter as many tournaments as you like (time permitting).
Mashing all the wrong buttons since 1981

fluxcore

Quote from: Wugga on March 21, 2007, 10:29:37 AM
Yeah, there were some extra dudes there that didn't actually enter for a tournament I think... they came over to me to talk shit about DOA, but when I told them to man up and win the tournament (since they think it's so easy), they claimed to be broke - and at BBS you only have to pay once to enter as many tournaments as you like (time permitting).

Har! That is ever the way of haters...

So what do you think of the BBS events? Been to many?

--flux

Wugga

Yeah, I've been to all of them, 'cept before the 4th, since I think prior to the 4th they were all about Gran Turismo... oh and BBS8 I think it was - I was in Italy for the WCG.
They're good fun, but then, there's not a lot to compare it to. It's overcrowded with Halo kiddies, but they're not all bad - some of them aren't all about Halo and will venture outside of that area to play in other tournaments...
The dudes at BGLan (www.bglan.co.nz) now run a side event called consollan on the Saturdays of their BGLan events up in the north shore, and I go along to those too - they're smaller at the moment but hopefully if enough people bother to start supporting it, it'll grow. I'm psuedo-admin with both BBS and Consollan, so whenever I go (which is as often as possible) there's a DOA tournament, and any other fighting game that people request and I can provide.
Mashing all the wrong buttons since 1981

fluxcore

Quote from: Wugga on March 21, 2007, 02:05:16 PM
The dudes at BGLan (www.bglan.co.nz) now run a side event called consollan on the Saturdays of their BGLan events up in the north shore, and I go along to those too - they're smaller at the moment but hopefully if enough people bother to start supporting it, it'll grow. I'm psuedo-admin with both BBS and Consollan, so whenever I go (which is as often as possible) there's a DOA tournament, and any other fighting game that people request and I can provide.

That's always the problem... getting people involved. It really isn't very easy to get advertising for such events, which is partially why I created this site. I'm more than happy to advertise here, as long as they have some fighting games present; I'm long past caring for FPSes, plus they get enough exposure as it is.

Unfortunately I really don't get much time to travel up to AKL, otherwise I'd be attending tournies just as a matter of course. This also means I can't really help out a great deal in the running of them, but if something with sufficient focus on fighting games turns up I'll definitely see what I can do.

--flux

Gino

I think some people are overwhelmed by how good other players are. It can put you off playing some games pretty quickly.