• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

Another silly lag thread

Started by cha, May 19, 2010, 06:16:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zos'la

I'm refering to standards, not preferrence.
If we can why play on lag, but wait a minute the biggest SF tournament plays in a laggy setup???
Tell me I am wrong.

Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

fluxcore

They play on a suboptimal monitor because they messed up and bought a whole shitload of them, and can't justify/afford to replace them all.

There is no reason to emulate that foolish behaviour.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

This is ridiculous.

No lag = good

Lag = bad.

There is NO reason to go for the second one if we can avoid it.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

samurai black

my soul lags when i read this topic.

massi4h

1. I don't know any game ever that has made the standard tournament play require lag.

2. And so you want to emulate lag... And then it's even worse: Is there enough lag? Is there too much? (those questions sound ridiculous.)

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Quote from: massi4h on May 20, 2010, 11:52:16 AM
1. I don't know any game ever that has made the standard tournament play require lag.

2. And so you want to emulate lag... And then it's even worse: Is there enough lag? Is there too much? (those questions sound ridiculous.)

Not only do they sound ridiculous, they ARE fucking ridiculous.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

Rorooze

cha

Quote from: ILL_BILL on May 19, 2010, 10:18:35 AM
To be honest, i dont think lag was the problem. I think the fact that there WASN'T any lag was the issue.

Actually that is what I believed before Hue explained to me otherwise that night, the test would tell anyways so it doesn't matter now.

Theoretically there is always link delay, processing delay etc, electrons dont just wrap from the console to the TV.
My point is what Andy said isn't too ridiculous IMO, its not that black and white.

Of course everyone prefers no lag setup. But is it really good if 95% of the SSFIV players are used to slight delay? (probably wt's happening this time if the one used was actually "lagless") What about when all the tournaments in the world and every home are using slightly delayed setup? Maybe what's more important is to find a common setup instead of a so called "correct" but probably meaningless setup?

I don't have answers, that's why I never commented on the lag issue before the videos were posted. As I said I just felt pretty sorry for the videos lol. Btw, I notice even the japanese godsgardens tournament probably had this problem too =D

massi4h

Even if everyone is used to a little bit of lag, they are not all used to the same amount of lag.

fluxcore

I can tell you right now that the OZhadou EVO APAC tournament will be using 360s with BenQ monitors, specifically to minimise input delay. I would estimate this setup would have 0 frames input delay, with the odd frame being 1 frame out.

In fact from what I understand all the OzHadou events use these setups.

So no, it's certainly not 'meaningless' or in isolation from the entire rest of the world. I would imagine any PROPER arcade setup would have no input delay (and no I do not count Yifan's as a proper setup).

I get the feeling if certain players played with their monitors turned on their sides I'd start getting requests that tournaments be ran like that.

NZism will always strive for the BEST setups possible (read: lowest latency). If we can achieve this at the nationals, we will.

If Andy or someone else wants to run some non-NZism bullshit tournament pandering to whatever whims you guys have, he can. You guys can play underwater, upside down, with 100frame lag monitors if you want.

End of discussion.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness