• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

Manners Street Time Out - 3rd Strike Tournament

Started by Fate, June 05, 2007, 01:55:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fate

On the 17th of June, the Time Out on Manners Street (NOT the one in Manners Mall, but further down, opposite the park) is holding a 3s Tournament.
Only 20 entries, $5 entry. Prizes are:

1st = 50 Tokens
2nd = 25 Tokens
3rd = 10 Tokens

Starts at 5pm, got to sign up before then, and as said before, limited to only 20 places!
As far as other details go, not sure. Will find out the system, character changing info etc. I'm suspecting it's single elimination (bleh), stay the same character etc.

fluxcore

Good shit all the same!

Is this a store-run thing, or do you think there's another person behind it? I don't really believe that time zone would randomly decide to throw a 3s tourney... anyway, please pimp the hell out of this site when you're there! :D

--flux
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

Fate

It's a store run thing, but one of the employee's is hosting it.
He said because of the amount of people he has seen playing etc.

Unfortunatly, only 7 people have signed up so far. If it doesen't reach 20, it won't go ahead. I'm pretty sure there is a lot of people who just haven't signed up yet, for various reasons, but are intending on entering.

It IS single elimination, you CAN change characters, and it's best of 3 matches, each match first to 4 rounds.

fluxcore

Quote from: Fate on June 06, 2007, 12:38:06 AM
It's a store run thing, but one of the employee's is hosting it.
He said because of the amount of people he has seen playing etc.

Unfortunatly, only 7 people have signed up so far. If it doesen't reach 20, it won't go ahead. I'm pretty sure there is a lot of people who just haven't signed up yet, for various reasons, but are intending on entering.

It IS single elimination, you CAN change characters, and it's best of 3 matches, each match first to 4 rounds.

Wow, um... that's a lot of matches... I'm sure if they want to spend that much time on it that they could have had fewer rounds but made it double elim... and can WINNERS change chars as well? Not that it really matters for 3s I guess... no one is gonna switch from YUN/CHUN/KEN of their choice... *yawn*

As for people, my tekkend dr tourney had *3* people signed up until 15 minutes before the tourney, whereupon I got a whole 5 others and then myself and the manager decided to pitch in to fill up the bracket a bit - so I wouldn't be TOO disheartened yet. I don't know why the number 20 was picked anyway - maybe it's because single elim is sucks and doesn't make many matches for few people? 20 isn't even a valid full bracket... oh well.

--flux
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

Fate

Yeah. Well. I've found out that the final is first to 4 rounds, best of 3 matches, the rest is just 1 match, first to 4 rounds. The guy running it only has like, 5 or so hours to get it done. I agree double elim would be nice though.

I suppose winner won't be able to change character, unless there's an option on the arcade board that can allow that in freeplay. Not to mention that it's only 1 match now anyway, except the final.

It's up to 10 now, by the way.

fluxcore

Well I gotta say, if it's only the one tournament (ie he's not running two others on the side) he's going to be hard pressed to drag it out to 5 hours! Mine took about 1 1/4 in total (for double elim, best of 5 rounds, 1 game until finals, then best of 3 games for winners, losers, and grand finals - 11 people). I know 3s LOOKS like it takes years, but I would be very surprised if it would take 2 hours. First to 4 is kind of ugly though... :\

The local arcade manager was actually very impressed with double elimination when he saw it in action, and said he'd want to do it for further tournaments...

Anyway, it's still great that it's happening at all!

--flux

Fate

Indeed. As of Sunday I will have my silde tool, and can finally play 3s at home. We have 2 sticks too. I'm also thinking about applying for a job, and pushing for any kind of weekly ranbat or anything I can get going for the 8 or so players that are competitive and those who wish to enter. Means I could run stuff on the machine and bring my PS2 in for use on the screen etc, which I'm assuming is also legal because my 3s is Japanese, not a copy.

But I agree with you, the guy running it, who I provided with a link to here, is doing it in his work hours while the Arcade is still Open and he is dealing to that, afaik. So big shout out even to put the idea in motion.
Also, it's not that it is going to last 5 hours, but thats all the time he has.

Coddfish

If I was in the country I would love to come down for the tourney. Even though I would get my ass handed to me because I fail miserably at 3S.
Its a shame I couldn't get down to your Tekken tourney either Alan, my boss made me work :(
I just love the idea of travelling to show my support for the scene :D

Anyway, not long till I get home, and use my superior linguistic skills I'm picking up from my dad while I'm here to convince Yifan's to do something MAJOR. :D:D

fluxcore

Yep, you're right on the money - NZ is nice and small, so travelling is actually reasonable (especially between Hamiltown and Auckland). I'm actually quite ashamed I haven't been up to Auckland since starting this site, and now that my car failed the warrant (poor old rusty 23yr old thing), it's going to be hard to strike out on my own without the boss AKA missus, and she doesn't care for arcades much. :(

--flux

[NIUE] Optimus DAVE

man if my car was working, I'd so be down there.......hmmm, gotta try and hustle yifans to let us have something....some how.....
The New Generation Clockw0rk

DevilStar

fluxcore

Fate is the only person I know from here that's in wellington, pretty much everyone is from Auckland...

Couple of Hamiltownians though (including myself).

--flux

Fate

2 and a half hours until the tournament. While It's not like I'm leaving now to travel there (the arcade is across the road, and my flatmate and I are playing 3s at home now), I thought I would mention it.
So yeah, I'll update with how it went afterwards. Results are pointless as AFAIK I'm the only person signed up from here, but I'll say how I did, highlights etc. Also I will try and spread the word, though I'm a bit shy. Also interested in learning how to record matches.. Flux or anyone, anhy suggestions on getting started?

fluxcore

In an arcade, or at home? For arcade there's pretty much only hand-held camcorders... most of the capping I've done for console was actually onto VCR and then capped onto computer with a capture card... which are only ~70 bucks or so these days. It would probably also be possible to do it direct onto comp... but then you'd need some bypass setup to get video to the tv as well.

I guess it's too late for the NZism tshirt... a transfer to put onto a hoodie is another good idea though! :DDD

Best of luck with the tourney!

--flux

fluxcore

Oh yeah, just remembered - gino and I tried a dvd recorder hooked up to pc, and then to tv - there was tons of slowdown, so the only way we could do it was recording off the tv monitor outputs. This is how we recorded the UMK3 matches. However, GGXX#R through ps2 messed up all the colours - and mvc2 through dreamcast didn't even register as input on the damned thing.

So yeah, dvd recorders have mixed results.

--flux