• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

Manners Street Time Out - 3rd Strike Tournament

Started by Fate, June 05, 2007, 01:55:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fate

I see. Well I was knocked out first round, sigh. Beaten by a good Hugo player, props to him, he placed 3rd. Also props to Mike "The Painter", hahaha, made that name up then, that placed second.

Used Ken, Makoto v. Hugo intimidates me.

fluxcore

Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

Gino

Quote from: fluxcore on June 17, 2007, 07:09:02 PM
Oh yeah, just remembered - gino and I tried a dvd recorder hooked up to pc, and then to tv - there was tons of slowdown, so the only way we could do it was recording off the tv monitor outputs. This is how we recorded the UMK3 matches. However, GGXX#R through ps2 messed up all the colours - and mvc2 through dreamcast didn't even register as input on the damned thing.

So yeah, dvd recorders have mixed results.

--flux

I'll find out what model we used so we never use it again. I think it was philips.

Fate

As a follow up to that tournament, Casey(?) the employee who organised it, is setting up RANBATS(HELL FUCKING YEAH). These will run over a 6 month period, and the player leading the points at the end gets a prize. He's open to suggestions for how it will work now, I reccomended double elim tournaments once every 2 weeks or so, to grade the placings properly for points, but it's all still in the works.

This is going to create a major improvement in the Wellington scene overall, and is very exciting. You northerner's are welcome to attend, and I will post a new thread announcing these properly when I have the info.

Also, OHN6 has been announced, anyone planning on attending, or considering the possiblity of doing so? or attending next year?

fluxcore

Fuckin' awesome!

How many entrants were there, out of interest? I was intending on doing monthly ranbats for T5DR, but from the turnout I don't know that I can be bothered - plus I don't really care for the game. Haven't heard anything from the arcade guy since, either.

Any ranbat season not using double elim would be a ranranbat - random ranking battle!

I'm just annoyed that I can't think of any way of getting this site involved with the series - short of donating a prize... wonder if he'd consider that? Have you mentioned NZism at all?

As for attending... uhh, 7 hr drive doesn't sit too well with me... I find it hard enough to get up to Auckland! Although, my girlfriend wants to go down to welly some time...

And if anyone IS interested in going to OHN6, I'd consider tagging along... holiday in Oz sounds pretty good!

--flux
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

fluxcore

Actually, I'd *really* like to try and get something going between NZism and this ranbat season, even if it's only something like hosting vids & current rankings, etc - can you possibly get this Casey fellow to send me an e-mail? I'd like to have a chat with him about what I can do to help out.

Cheers,
--flux

Fate

I have linked him before, but I will pass on that message and give him your e-mail. I'm not saying attend all of them :P
But make an appearance at one, even if your finding 3s dull.

In response to OHN6, there is a possibility I will attend this year, but it will mostly come down to luck/circumstance (atleast the outlook for now), so I don't want to plan something only to let others down.

I would REALLY like if we can work out ways to get NZism involved in this, hosting vid's and current rankings would be awesome. I really do try to spread the word heh, but the shyness disease attacks me. A t-shirt, for example would be perfect. Codd and I are coming up with a team name etc for ourselves (for kicks, mainly), but putting an NZism tag on that with link etc is a must do.

Coddfish

Ranbats? Awesome!
I wonder if they will do them continuously, as in 6 month season, then prize at the end, then get straight back into it with about 6 month season. Which would be pro.

I definitely think you need to drown that snake of shyness, Charlie (Its hard, I know, I'm exactly the same) and just speak to Casey about this site.

The thing is, its not like NZism and Time Out are in competition with each other. If he's starting Ranbats and tournaments, then Casey is obviously interested in the scene and seeing it flourish, and obviously by starting this site, and that tourney in Hamilton, Flux is also interested in seeing the scene flourish. And I know I am as well, and so are you, Fate :P

But yeah, NZism and Time Out (and Yifan's, when they eventually start to hold tournaments, and any other arcades) can basically advertise each other - kinda like Evolution and Shoryuken. Advertising at arcades, tournaments in particular would bring people here. Who then in turn would give more business to the arcades, because they're meeting people through this site and organising matches; it will also bring more people to any tournaments because its a central place for people to find out about whats going on around the country.
You can basically use that to sell the idea to Casey, to get in touch with Flux, and then really rock the NZ Fighting Game Community.