• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

WWBWD?

Main Menu

scrub

Started by makronn, June 26, 2010, 12:24:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

makronn

so i am just post here to introduce my self

i am kinda new to the whole street fighter seen have not relay played street fighter since i was like 7 and even then i was just mashing buttons
and kind of want to learn the basics and other techniques as i am also in the process of learning Tekken 6
So can any one tell me what essentials i need to learn in order to excel at street fighter and where are the hot spots to play some good SF matches so i can improve to a non scrub lvl

Scrub out
makronn

Lennysaurus

What console do you have?  Playing online is a good start, lets you get the hang of it.

Also what character are you trying to learn?  There plenty of people around that can help you out online with training sessions and tips.

Also check out our upcoming events and come and watch and just ask people stuff.  Also check out Shoryuken.com for plenty of strats and tips.

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

makronn

i have an xbox360

and the chars im trying to learn are gouken and/or abel

Lennysaurus

Quote from: makronn on June 26, 2010, 01:41:28 AM
i have an xbox360

and the chars im trying to learn are gouken and/or abel

KK add me and I can help you out online.

Tag is Lennysaurus

massi4h

Sup man, just met him the other day at TZ, starting to learn T6 for xlan. Good on you for wanting to train, 2 weeks away and I'll see you there. Got no room on my friends list, but if you wanna play SF or T6 (lol) then just invite me if you see me online through Lenny's friends list.

makronn

oh hey massi4h yea it was a spontaneous decision to go to xlan and i didn't relay give my self adequate time to learn the game well see how it goes. and yea ill hit you up for a game of sf or t6 if i see you online though lenny

fluxcore

I guess the first thing to realise is that it's not easy to become skilled at a fighting game! No-one's going to give you a few tips and suddenly you'll be competitive!

Having said that, check out the 2nd issue of Game Console magazine (it's a kiwi mag, $4), it had a little tips article in it that was just what you're after :)
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

[8-----D] Toots

Depends on how serious you wanna take fighting games.

If you want to get good in the long run there is two things I think would really help...

1) Learn all your combos and punishes for your character. Sit in training mode until you can hit them 95% percent of the time. Learn about option selects and if you  play a character like Akuma learn your mix up options/vortex http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTJ5srcjWiA

2) find someone on your friends list who is good and willing to teach you how to play and only play them online. Ask them to tell you everything that your doing wrong at the end of a session or better yet if you have a mic talk to them while playing. If your just starting out a good player will be able to point a million things your doing wrong. If they say stop mashing dragon punch, stop...if they say mash dragon punch then mash it.  Make sure you take in the advice. Netting wins against other online players may boost your confidence but you will end up developing many bad habits.

Basically whenever your not able to play against your mentor or whatever you wanna call em, you want to be in training mode perfecting your combos. Fight the temptation to play online.

Barnstorm

i don't entirely agree with avoiding online play

you can get at least
a) an idea of what some characters can do/ what your up against (eg ryus zoning or fuerte mixup)
b) gives you an idea of how you are able to play/ read an opponent

it can develop bad habits but it does have its uses
you can even test out a new reset  you've learned (able) to see what works and and doesnt

but playing one person can also develop bad habits

HoneyBadger

Testing resets and stuff isn't going to do anything for you if you're a new guy and don't even understand the basics. I think a big problem with a lot of players is they focus on the things like matchup specifics and combos over the real basic zoning, footsies, mixup shit. Obviously once you're at a certain point online has its benefits but I think it's a bad idea if you've just started.
my mum found dark dawn on the DS.

that game is gonna get raped.

MUMMYHALA

Lennysaurus

Toomeke mean you should avoid online play entirely.  I take that he says to stick  to your mentor/s.

Basically the idea is to make sure that you play people online, that play the same way they would play offline.  Theres 2 ways to play online.  One way is to go for the W, the other way is to try and win, Ive see plenty of players that do horrible shit online e.g: Mashing jabs and shorts through other players blockstrings, Shitty tick throws, awful jumpins etc... and that shit will fly online, but when you get offline
and take that shit to ranbats or tournaments against decent players that shit will get you bodied.  You don't want to play those sorts of people cause they aren't learning to be better at the game, and their shit tactics are just gonna make you rage.

But please.. dear god plese... dont start mashing... if you need to do three inputs for a particular combo.. then just do the input three times...

One thing I like to do if you really wan't to play online is to have a character other than your main (pick a relatively different character, eg dont have to shotos) and just use my econdary character for  lolgames online.  EG: my seth.  Puts me in a different frame of mind so i can just have some fun.

Sorry for ranting.  Hope there is something useful amongst that dribble.

[8-----D] Toots

All I know is that within a couple of weeks of meeting James and Simon at yifans I improved a shit ton from just the simple advice that they gave me (this was when we started to meet up regularly on wednesdays). I went from being one of the random yifan scrubs to being fairly competitive in about a months time. I have to thank those guys a lot because they made me understand that the game was a little more then just depleting the other persons lifebar. If only I had the this kind of advice from day 1...there are so many things that I have had too unlearn and somethings that I still do that are bad habits that I picked up in those first few months.

makronn

Quote from: Toomeke on June 27, 2010, 01:42:45 AM
Depends on how serious you wanna take fighting games.

If you want to get good in the long run there is two things I think would really help...

1) Learn all your combos and punishes for your character. Sit in training mode until you can hit them 95% percent of the time. Learn about option selects and if you  play a character like Akuma learn your mix up options/vortex http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTJ5srcjWiA

2) find someone on your friends list who is good and willing to teach you how to play and only play them online. Ask them to tell you everything that your doing wrong at the end of a session or better yet if you have a mic talk to them while playing. If your just starting out a good player will be able to point a million things your doing wrong. If they say stop mashing dragon punch, stop...if they say mash dragon punch then mash it.  Make sure you take in the advice. Netting wins against other online players may boost your confidence but you will end up developing many bad habits.

Basically whenever your not able to play against your mentor or whatever you wanna call em, you want to be in training mode perfecting your combos. Fight the temptation to play online.

i wanna take fighting games on a competitive level

Quote from: Toomeke on June 27, 2010, 12:33:15 PM
All I know is that within a couple of weeks of meeting James and Simon at yifans I improved a shit ton from just the simple advice that they gave me (this was when we started to meet up regularly on wednesdays). I went from being one of the random yifan scrubs to being fairly competitive in about a months time. I have to thank those guys a lot because they made me understand that the game was a little more then just depleting the other persons lifebar. If only I had the this kind of advice from day 1...there are so many things that I have had too unlearn and somethings that I still do that are bad habits that I picked up in those first few months.

im also in the city most wendsdays and thursdays if any one wants to meet up or anything

fluxcore

Welcome to the fighting game community, where even giving newbies tips is hotly debated, lol!
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

originaljulz

I don't think there's been a better time to enter the fighting game scene
HEAVEN OR HELL? DUAL ONE. LETS ROCK!