• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

Hi I'm Wugga

Started by Wugga, March 20, 2007, 08:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wugga

As the subject says, I'm Wugga. Not really a part of the arcade scene, but I migh stop by to check out a tournament if someone's running them (might even put my $5 in for the chance to get destroyed).
I'm mostly into DOA4, but I'm often up for a session of GGX2#R, SF3TS, Virtua Fighter or Soul Calibur (though I'm pretty crap at the 2D stuff, and middling at best at the others). I've been trying Tekken 5 lately on my PS2, but I don't think I'll ever be above Masher level with that one, the timing requirements remind me of Mortal Kombat a bit too much.
Mashing all the wrong buttons since 1981

fluxcore

Welcome to the site!

I'm sorry to say I don't get any time to go to the arcade any more either (although I'm not aware of anyone that plays MvC2 there anyway), I think that's probably the general rule these days though. That's why I'm attempting to run some tournaments, to provide events where people can crawl out of their holes and meet up with other players they may not have otherwise known about. I certainly hope people will stick around after the tournies to make aquaintances and play!

As for games, I'm pretty much the opposite... I like 2d most, but have dabbled at pretty much all the 3ders (with the exception of Virtua Fighter, which I'd like to try...). I really want to get as many 3d players on the forums as I can... because that's the direction everything is heading!

What's wrong with Mortal Kombat, anyway?!? (Oh, you mean the 3d ones? Yeah they suck :D)

--flux
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

Gino

Welcome!
Cool to see some waikato people around here.

Quote from: fluxcore on March 20, 2007, 08:52:29 PM
(with the exception of Virtua Fighter, which I'd like to try...)

Really? So would I. Is there a good ps2 port or should I be thinking of getting a 360?

Quote from: Wugga on March 20, 2007, 08:40:39 PM
the timing requirements remind me of Mortal Kombat a bit too much.
UPPERCUT!

Wugga

Oh, MvsC2 is another one me and my friends have a go at occasionally, but I think we've sorta gone past it now, mainly because of the character balance - would love to be able to pick Servbot, Marrow and... man, it's been so long that I can't actually think of another underdog. Anyways, someone inevitably picks Cable and the match seems to be a foregone conclusion.
VF4 Evolution is on the PS2, you can get it on the cheap, but finding it would be the tricky part.
I don't think there's anything wrong with MK as such, it's just my preferences (probably as a DOA player) - in DOA there's a decent sized window after the execution of each sequential move for you to stagger your natural strings, giving you a little extra time to decide whether to follow through or not. With MK it feels like I have to decide at the begining of any string whether I commit to the whole thing or not. I don't see it as a flaw, just a difference in play styles, and since I don't consider myself to be much of a string memoriser, I tend to shy away from games where it's important (10 hit combos - yarrrrrgh).

fluxcore

Quote from: glisignoli on March 20, 2007, 10:52:24 PM
Really? So would I. Is there a good ps2 port or should I be thinking of getting a 360?

Yeah, VF4Evo was the last thing released on PS2 here, although the Japanese got VF4 Final Tuned.
The real juice these days is VF5 on the PS3 though... but it WILL come out for 360 in a few months.

--flux
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

fluxcore

Quote from: Wugga on March 21, 2007, 07:06:45 AM
Oh, MvsC2 is another one me and my friends have a go at occasionally, but I think we've sorta gone past it now, mainly because of the character balance - would love to be able to pick Servbot, Marrow and... man, it's been so long that I can't actually think of another underdog. Anyways, someone inevitably picks Cable and the match seems to be a foregone conclusion.

Well, yeah, if you stick to low tiers and someone else uses top tier then it will definitely be an uphill battle... Personally I like the play of both, so I don't mind switching it up. Cable isn't even the best in the game though...

I don't think there's anything wrong with MK as such, it's just my preferences (probably as a DOA player) - in DOA there's a decent sized window after the execution of each sequential move for you to stagger your natural strings, giving you a little extra time to decide whether to follow through or not. With MK it feels like I have to decide at the begining of any string whether I commit to the whole thing or not. I don't see it as a flaw, just a difference in play styles, and since I don't consider myself to be much of a string memoriser, I tend to shy away from games where it's important (10 hit combos - yarrrrrgh).

I presume you're talking of the 3D MKs, I've only seen a few combo vids for them and frankly they look shit. There's some retarded stuff in there... however, I'll defend UMK3 to the death. Even with the 'dial-a-combos' you can still interrupt them and start runjabbing or whatever. I completely understand some people just don't like some games, but UMK3 in particular actually has a lot more to it than people (including myself, about 2 years ago) think.
As for 10-strings, I'm presuming you're talking about Tekken... and no-one uses ten strings in actual competition, because they are just canned combos and any decent player will just low parry at the appropriate time and fuck you up.

--flux

Wugga

mmm, we're pretty bad all around, so Cables HP gun firing into his viper beam tends to feature way more than if we were serious MvC2 players. I don't think we really play it to have any sort of a match, rather just to see some of our favourite characters do some crazy shit.
Yeah, it's not that I think they're overpowered or anything, I wouldn't claim that any of the games are broken, I just don't like feeling like I have to commit to the string so early.

fluxcore

Quote from: Wugga on March 21, 2007, 10:20:47 AM
mmm, we're pretty bad all around, so Cables HP gun firing into his viper beam tends to feature way more than if we were serious MvC2 players. I don't think we really play it to have any sort of a match, rather just to see some of our favourite characters do some crazy shit.
Yeah, it's not that I think they're overpowered or anything, I wouldn't claim that any of the games are broken, I just don't like feeling like I have to commit to the string so early.

I advise wowing them with a 4xHP XX scimitar XX AHVB, AHVB, AHVB

--flux

Wugga

Hell I think I'd wow myself if I did that.

fluxcore

Quote from: Wugga on March 21, 2007, 01:56:08 PM
Hell I think I'd wow myself if I did that.

Ah, it's really not very hard. Tiger Kneeing the HVB is a must if you're playing as Cable though... the AHVB is the best super, nay, move in the game!

--flux

Gino

In case you didn't know AHVB is air hyper viper beam.
Basicly the ground version has mad lag at the start/end and the air one has no lag at all. So you can get 3 of them in a row if you are quick (it really isn't hard to do. Just practice it). Oh, and his legs are invincible.
Youtube AHVB

Wugga

Hmmm, I knew what AHVB meant, but didnt know about the lag etc...
I might try and bust it out in a versus match one day, but I dont think I have the time to devote to becoming serious with MvC2 (or any 2D fighters really, though SF3 and GGX2#R to a lesser extent because they are rad).

Wugga

So is it just us three thread starters in the Waikato? Or are there some other forum-shy lurkers around?

fluxcore

Quote from: Wugga on March 27, 2007, 08:43:30 PM
So is it just us three thread starters in the Waikato? Or are there some other forum-shy lurkers around?

Well, I know there are plenty of Tekken players at least, since 11 showed up for my tournament... Coldfire is one of them (although he isn't interested in 2d fighters... I don't even know if he plays anything other than Tekken, actually...)

If you have any suggestions on how to reach more Waikatonians, I'd love to hear them!

--flux