• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

GGPO online Alpha 2, MvC, KoF98, Vampire Saviour... pc software no lag!

Started by fluxcore, June 25, 2007, 03:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fluxcore

You been busting out for some lag-free online Street Fighter Alpha 2? Not many people in NZ playing right now, huh... well, how about pretty much lag-free to the US? That sound better?

Get your ass over to http://ggpo.net and download the client software - the lads that run Shoryuken have released software to allow internet play (and don't think that horrible Kaillera bullshit).

Rumoured to be on the horizon are tournament ladders, spectating, and more... give it a damned shot! Arcades are dead, online is the future! :D

--flux
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

Gino

fluxcore

Just had my first set of games... this shit rocks nads.

--flux
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

CptMunta

Yeah man I'm loving it.

It me up when you guys are online. Need more Kiwis on here :)
Munta on the web: www.pavementart.co.nz
PSN: CptMunta

Fate

fluxcore

Quote from: CptMunta on June 27, 2007, 04:54:40 PM
Yeah man I'm loving it.

It me up when you guys are online. Need more Kiwis on here :)

You got an IM address to sync up?

--flux

fluxcore

My apologies Cpt.Munta - it seems that Slingshot are having some problems at the moment or something, because I can't even ping their DNS servers without a 50% packet loss - big fucking sucky balls! I'm considering switching ISPs - that is completely unacceptable.  :'(

--flux

CptMunta

Stupid Sligshot. If your'e ever on New Zealand Dragon's Den be sure to drop the elbow on that dizzy Slingshot boss lady.

Be sure it hit me up for when you are good to go :)

Coddfish

Oh my god. This shit is incredible. Mad props to Ponder and the rest of the team for this.

Hit me up sometime, Coddfish is my nick on GGPO. God I look forward to getting home now, to my PS2-USB converter.
CONSTANT COMPETITION, AT MY FINGERTIPS!

[NIUE] Optimus DAVE

The New Generation Clockw0rk

fluxcore

I think the server is still having issues - it was down Sunday/Monday, haven't checked today though. Other than that you have to open a couple of ports on your firewall/forward them on your router - there's info on the ggpo.net site.

--flux

Coddfish

www.portforward.com

Great site to help you learn to open ports, given that you can select basically any router in existence, and it will have a guide to open ports for most online software.
Not GGPO, but you can just substitute the ports for the ones given on the GGPO site.

Otherwise, yeah, the server seems to be having a little bit of trouble - though from the sounds of things its a lot better than it used to be before the server change.

One thing that I'm REALLY looking forward to is everything working absolutely smoothly.
1) Ponder said there's nothing SFA2 specific in the code, so in time, it should work with anything supported by FinalBurn.
1.1) Maybe, in more time, Ponder will release a stand-alone version - i.e. one that doesn't run through FinalBurn, and thus, supports more titles than FinalBurn.
1.2) This ties in well with CPS3 finally being emulated. Do I smell a lag-free SF3:TS?

2) Hopefully, Ponder will be able to get a patent on his code, thus allowing him to sell it to major developers. What do we get from this? Lag-Free new-generation commercial titles. Hopefully in time for KoF XII, given that its getting a complete overhaul, brand new hi-res sprites done from the ground up - add lag-free netplay to this and you have a perfect KoF.

CptMunta

Just wanting to let you guys know,

A new version of the client has been released (Build 16 get it here: http://www.ggpo.net/)

It's been updated with a world map to show you where everyone is playing from. Very handy for getting good matchups.   :D

fluxcore

Well, the good news is that my internet connection is no longer dropping 57% of all packets.

The bad news is that at any peak time (ie after work and weekends), the pings are between 500ms and 1000ms to NZ servers. Otherwise it's the expected 50ms...

So in conclusion, if anyone wants reasonable ping times for their internet connection, DON'T CHOOSE SLINGSHIT.

--flux

fluxcore

Contrary to the above post, I managed to have some good games today - Cheers Cpt. Munta. FinalAtomicBuster from AU was a good challenge, however I only got one game with him before disconnecting. Also another aussie by the name of MexicanHat was whipping my ass (about 15 games to 3 or something). GGs to all.

Two things I most totally need to work on... dragon punches (they just won't come out for some reason), and starting CCs with cr.roundhouse instead of cr.short (doh!). Not to mention general about things like jump over, CC being worthless because you just hoon away from the opponent, only to get counter CCed in the back!

--flux