• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

New Player

Started by Simulacrum, July 05, 2010, 01:39:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simulacrum

Hi guys,

Just picked up a couple of HRAP3 sticks and was told this is the place to go for fighting games in NZ. Pretty scrub at the moment but looking to get better. Playing T6 and SSF4 on PS3.

Good times!

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Hey man welcome to the site.

This is a good site for tournaments and offline training sessions and shit. You'll get some good tips here but if you really wana master your character go look at shoryuken.com - they have good char strat discussions and matchup strats.

And add some names from the psn list to test out the shit you learned with jak shit lag.
Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

Simulacrum

Sounds good, I will definately check it out. Only just insterested in getting in to these games seriously now. I used to play a little SF2 when I was a young fella, followed by T3 and MvC2 a bit later on, however I was never really that proficent with them.

Still trying to work out who I want to start out playing actually. I have always used King when I played Tekken and he looks quite fun to play now. Was also looking at having a play with Zangief for SSF4 but I am not sure how viable he would be to learn? :D Played a lot of Akuma Ken etc in my younger days, want to stay away from that for a while this time around.

zos'la

Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

electric

Welcome bro

This is definitely the place to be if you're a fighting game player in NZ - and don't worry about being too scrubby... we've all been there before - there are a ton of good players here who would be willing to give you tips or whatever too

Zangief is definitely viable in SSF4 - in fact, NZ's number 1 player mains Zangief - and to be fair, SSF4 is pretty even in terms of balance... you might run in to the odd hard match up (Seth springs to mind) but that's not to say it isn't winnable. Pick someone that matches how YOU like to play the game, then take it from there :)
"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

Simulacrum

Quote from: electric on July 05, 2010, 02:34:15 PM
Zangief is definitely viable in SSF4 - in fact, NZ's number 1 player mains Zangief - and to be fair, SSF4 is pretty even in terms of balance... you might run in to the odd hard match up (Seth springs to mind) but that's not to say it isn't winnable. Pick someone that matches how YOU like to play the game, then take it from there :)

Haha that's good to know, I just wanted to try something a little different. I am actually finding combos in SF a lot harder than Tekken at this stage. I think my timing must be off as I am struggling with even basic combos in challenge mode. Glad to see there is a comminity in NZ at least :D Look forward to getting better.

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Yeah i reckon the combos are harder in SF too ay, well the proper ones of course. I think it's to make up for the whole 2d plane thing and the rest of the shit that's way easier in SF (throws in T6 butrape me).
Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Simulacrum

Quote from: weazzyefff on July 05, 2010, 02:57:23 PM
Yeah i reckon the combos are harder in SF too ay, well the proper ones of course. I think it's to make up for the whole 2d plane thing and the rest of the shit that's way easier in SF (throws in T6 butrape me).

Yeah I think I just need to sit down with someone that knows what they are doing and get shown the basics, then I should be ok. Still getting used to the sanwa stick, definately better than the old arcade sticks I am used to playing on but quite different.

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Whatch a couple of Gief Vidz then learn the shit in training mode.

First off learn his link. cr lp x3, c lk, ex green hand.

Then mix it up with tic throw SPD's. lp, lp, SPD. etc..

When you get knock down, use jump down HP, it looks like a splash. And crossup and shit, but time it so you don't get auto correct DP'd. I think you could use it ambiguously too, not too sure haven't played him in ages.

After you confident with that go suss out the different matchups. Learn the option select GH (green hand for teleport dudes too. That might be a bit too advanced. Oh well here's your Gief club here bro http://shoryuken.com/f266/   Good Luck!!! :)

LOL only one guy viewing Gief on SRK hahahaha, shame Gief. God i hate Gief.

Simulacrum

Cheers for that! Will definately check it out when I get home from work.

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Quote from: Simulacrum on July 05, 2010, 03:29:16 PM
Cheers for that! Will definately check it out when I get home from work.
No problem mane.

I love seeing people progress in the N.Z scene. If you work at it hard enough you can go a long way. Plus we all need to level up as a whole. And helping you out will eventually help me out as i need Gief experience.

Skullator

Welcome aboard, try hit up the ranbats tournaments at some stage if you're that keen. Even if it's just to spectate, there's alot of fun to be had and learning to do.

Good karma Weazzy!

Simulacrum

Quote from: Skullator on July 05, 2010, 04:06:21 PM
Welcome aboard, try hit up the ranbats tournaments at some stage if you're that keen. Even if it's just to spectate, there's alot of fun to be had and learning to do.

Good karma Weazzy!

Yeah thanks for the warm welcome everyone, will defiantely hit up the research tonight when I get home and start practicing. Should I just hit practice mode or look at online play? From what some people have said it's a lot different with the lag etc. Don't really want to get in to bad habbits right off the bat. Don't really have anyone that I know that plays on any sort of decent level. Only really got 2 sticks so my mates can have a little jam when they cruise on over. Plus it's awesome for some MAME :D

geneterror

I mix up online and offline. Honestly it's hard to avoid online, it's good for practcing new tricks etc. I would be fucked without online as I'm to busy these days and have to many responsibilities to be able to meet up with people all the time to get offline practice. Without online I don't think I would have picked up a fighting game this seriously again I don't have as much time to kill in Yifans all day now either..
I play online a few night's a week and try and play a good offline session once a week. Like Skullator said come along to Ranbats if you're in Auckland it's a good way to exchanges notes/ideas/strats and get some offline practice with some of the best out there in NZ. Also a good way to hang with a bunch of good cunts ;)
KOW 2011

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Don't go online unless you can atleast hit that first combo i gave you consistently (c lp x3, c lk, ex GH). And practice some tick throw setups too ( lp,lp SPD etc.). After your comfortable with hitting those jump online. Actually just learn all those things i said except for the option select first then go online. It's honestly a waste of time going online with no knowledge, you won't be practicing shit, except button mashing

Online is allgood to practice. I don't know why people are saying don't practice online? Fuck them. Plus i hit my links all the time online. Oh actually the bad habits they were talking about were reckless play. But shit, your still learning. You learning that reckless gets you owned are you not?

But don't go fighting me just yet. Play someone a little lower level so you get time to actually think...and breath lol. After your doing pretty good (don't have to be beasting) i'll give you some games and help you out with some matchups.