• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

New Player

Started by Simulacrum, July 05, 2010, 01:39:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simulacrum

Hahaha drinks on... I can apprediate that shit. :P TXT SENT! :D

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Quote from: weazzyefff on July 06, 2010, 12:24:22 AM
Party much? Bro i make the Stiffmeister look like Bill.

Motherfucker I could tell you insane party stories that would make you shit your damn pants.

Stiffmeister is a bitch.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Quote from: BIRRY WONG on July 06, 2010, 01:26:01 AM
Motherfucker I could tell you insane party stories that would make you shit your damn pants.

Stiffmeister is a bitch.

Insane bestiality stories ay Bill lol.

Nigga Stiffmeister my kin folk.
Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Quote from: weazzyefff on July 06, 2010, 01:40:32 AM
Insane bestiality stories ay Bill lol.

Look, if your mum is keen, and im hammered, im gonna go for it.
<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

CrazyMobius

From my experience the only difference between online and offline is the lag. And even then...

electric

Quote from: CrazyMobius on July 06, 2010, 09:11:12 AM
From my experience the only difference between online and offline is the lag. And even then...

Also, what I think Weazzy was getting at, is that sometimes the talent of STRICTLY online players isn't exactly amazing, so if you play enough of those people, you'll develop habits that work fine against them, but not against real competition.

Prime example: I played someone who thought that once they had U2 stocked with Abel, they'd do roll into ultra. Every. Single. Time... Those sorts of online gimmicks aren't reflective of what you'd find at a usual NZism meet up
"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

CrazyMobius

Quote from: electric on July 06, 2010, 09:14:33 AM
Also, what I think Weazzy was getting at, is that sometimes the talent of STRICTLY online players isn't exactly amazing, so if you play enough of those people, you'll develop habits that work fine against them, but not against real competition.

Prime example: I played someone who thought that once they had U2 stocked with Abel, they'd do roll into ultra. Every. Single. Time... Those sorts of online gimmicks aren't reflective of what you'd find at a usual NZism meet up

But if you played those same people offline you would develop exactly the same habits. It's all just a have.

electric

Quote from: CrazyMobius on July 06, 2010, 09:35:03 AM
But if you played those same people offline you would develop exactly the same habits. It's all just a have.

Of course, but although the discussion is specifically termed "online vs offline", I think they're talking about "bad players vs. good players" - like you've said - online and offline are TECHNICALLY the same (except for slight lag differences), but the landscape of players (and therefore skill) is wider - which means you're more likely to run into someone who does roll, Ultra and thinks it's a great idea, since he's been beating so many other less skilled players with it.
"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

CrazyMobius

Quote from: electric on July 06, 2010, 09:38:53 AM
Of course, but although the discussion is specifically termed "online vs offline", I think they're talking about "bad players vs. good players" - like you've said - online and offline are TECHNICALLY the same (except for slight lag differences), but the landscape of players (and therefore skill) is wider - which means you're more likely to run into someone who does roll, Ultra and thinks it's a great idea, since he's been beating so many other less skilled players with it.

So they should be saying. "I don't take matches with unskilled players seriously". Then this would cover them in both situations.

Lennysaurus

The difference  between online and offline is pretty basic dont you think?

Online has lag, offline generally doesn't (lol thats another debate that I dare not start.)  So online or laggy setups mean you have trouble reacting to alot of things e.g:
-Anti airs
-Crossups
-Punishing stuff
-Throw Teching

When people mention to be weary of playing online, they generally mean to try not to play people that abuse the above strategies in order to win.  For example:

If someone uses a move regularly that can be punished with a decent window.  A good example is Ken's light dragon punch.  Ken's light dragon punch is -14 frames on block, which is pretty bad.  Everyone in the game can punish that on block, however when you get online and play a random Flowchart Ken, you are gonna see alot of them do a random light shoryuken followed by another or a heavy dragon punch.  More often than not, online you will miss the punish and then eat the dragon punch, but offline it is a pretty easy punish.  So what you ask?  If you play against someone that abuses this tactic a couple of things could happen that may affect your overall game:

-You are gonna get into the habit of not punishing jab dragon punches and thus effecting your ability to get more damage and giving your opponent a psychological edge over you
-You're gonna get angry at this noob spammer which makes you annoyed at the game and effects your progress
-You're gonna start mashing everytime you see the jab dragon in order to punish which will put your timing out for offline

So the idea is that you stick to playing people that you know will play the same way the will on a lagless setup, even though you are online.  You don't have to avoid online play altogether as it can be a valuable tool for learning your zoning and spacing.  Just keep in mind that if you are relying on a tactic where your opponents reactions play a part in its success or fail, that you bare this in mind and remember that offline, it may not be as effective as you had originally thought.

This doesn't just apply to online.  As you all well know we have made the move to lagless setups for our tournaments, and that many people at home don't yet enjoy this luxury, and so may need to adjust their game slightly.  I go to yifan's alot more now that I am working in town, and have been trying to play on the setups they have down there which are pretty laggy.  I commonly find people that like to use very obvious throw setups which I have alot more trouble OS late teching due to the lag.  And while I fully endorse finding a flaw in your opponents gameplay and exploiting it, if these guys are planning to get into the tournament scene that we endorse, this style of play is gonna give them troubles.  It basically tells me that if they run out of options being able to deal damage to you by spacing you and keeping pressure on till you crack, that they will just try and tick throw you every single time they get close, which as we all know gets smashed by  OS options that you can use in SFIV.  In essence, they learn to rely on a bad habit.

Really its up to you.  If you're online and/or playing on laggy setups and all you want to get is the "W" next to your name or a few more BP and PP, then  by all means continue to enjoy the game the way you enjoy playing it.  If you want to become more competitve then perhaps it's time to stop just playing the game for the sake of playing it, but time to evaluate the strategy and tactics that bring you success and the environment that you use them in.

lol what a mega rant that is!  Anyway I wouldn't mind entertaining some intelligent discussion on this area.  I know Ben, Hue, Cody, and I were talking a fair bit about this on Friday night and they all had interesting stuff to say about similar topics.

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Nah man, online in this games gets my respect. Just don't play noobs. I never get into bad habits, cos i never start them in the first place.

Links are no problem. And i'm more of a visual cue guy too. I just don't know if it has affected my offline gameplay as i only play against my friends which are free to body awwlllll day.

I think i'm just used to it though as i always play online. And the other day i was playing Ben who told me to stop throwing. It's in Bison's game to tec throw against boxer cos of s lp properties let you get in for mixups/THROWS because he's mashing the good old fuck off jab. Even though... I show respect and try not throw, but then my whole game shut down and all i was doing was practicing block strings thinking fuck, this is way to predictable for my gameplay.

I tech throws consistent as fuck online, and people on psn know that shit. I once teched like 30 throws in one game against Imagneto's Akuma when i was Sim. Not missing one throw. Again, maybe i'm used to it. Or maybe i'm just mashing tech in between block strings cos i'm not a lag psychic player either.

That thing about Juri's pinwheel is somewhat on my mind though. But i have to test it in a real offline game, or actually a bunch of them.
Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Skullator

Quote from: weazzyefff on July 06, 2010, 01:14:06 PM
Nah man, online in this games gets my respect. Just don't play noobs. I never get into bad habits, cos i never start them in the first place.

Says mr double pause at nationals rofl!

If you havn't turned up to Aucklands recent lag free events (That means not only online lag... but MONITOR free lag) you can't even fathom how bad playing online can break your throw tech timing along with other things.

I for one have proven to myself that I do fall into terrible habbits if I play bad people online for too long.
And if you play online, you have to pre-imput, it's that simple.

Having said all that, I still love online play and believe it is a tool which can and should be used to greatly improve your MATCHUP KNOWLEDGE.

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Quote from: weazzyefff on July 06, 2010, 01:14:06 PM

Links are no problem. And i'm more of a visual cue guy too. I just don't know if it has affected my offline gameplay as i only play against my friends which are free to body awwlllll day.

I think i'm just used to it though as i always play online. And the other day i was playing Ben who told me to stop throwing. It's in Bison's game to tec throw against boxer cos of s lp properties let you get in for mixups/THROWS because he's mashing the good old fuck off jab. Even though... I show respect and try not throw, but then my whole game shut down and all i was doing was practicing block strings thinking fuck, this is way to predictable for my gameplay.

I tech throws consistent as fuck online, and people on psn know that shit. I once teched like 30 throws in one game against Imagneto's Akuma when i was Sim. Not missing one throw. Again, maybe i'm used to it. Or maybe i'm just mashing tech in between block strings cos i'm not a lag psychic player either.

That thing about Juri's pinwheel is somewhat on my mind though. But i have to test it in a real offline game, or actually a bunch of them.

Your link timing will be out when you play offline on a lagless setup. ESPECIALLY if you use visual cues.

Teching throws online is great, but offline, if you go to tech a throw using the same timing, you will do it too early and miss your tech.

Additionally, Ben told you not to throw, because offline, your throw setups will get raped by someone that is used to playing a reactionary game instead of being preemptive like online.

You say you dont get into bad habits, but given everything you just said, unfortunately it shows that you are already have them.
<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

[8-----D] Toots

No offence weazzy but your throw and anti throw mix ups were quite obvious. You often did c.lp s.lp walk up throw which you didnt mixup with a standing roundhouse or sometthing to bait the tech throw attempt. You did do some anti throw tech stuff like c.lk x2 pause c.lk xx scissors but there wasnt enough variance between them to make me confused as to what you trying to do. It was a simple matter of lag meaning I couldnt late tech the throws.

I also noticed you wake up throw a lot which is a real bad habit imo. You get nothing from doing it but risk soo much. Ex psycho isnt safe against boxer which I think you started to learn so guess thats more of a lack of knowledge than bad habit.

You jump alot too and tend to do alot of reversal type moves whenever you get put on defense.

These traits are pretty common with online players.

Not hating either weazzy cos you do some real good shit too but I think you might not realise how much stuff you get away with because of online. 

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Yeah i know. That's why i asked you for Boxer practice and that's why i said sorry about the throwing i was trying to get used to his s lp tic throw mixup. I onlt use that on Boxer cos it's all the advice i got on SRK that i didn't know and am still having trouble with him. But after you told me stop throwing i went all wack. It was gonna be predictable no matter what after that cos ummm... i couldn't throw lol.

And the wakeup throw thing was just me falling for your meaty shit. If you just walked up and threw me you would've been like waking up blocking is bad habit too. The Neutral jump made me wana hang myself though as it's the first time someones caught me with that shit in a long time.

Oh well. Bill you wank , what bad habits did you get from my post lol? Teching imags millions of throws oh so nawty.