• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

Wugga is eating uppercuts

Main Menu

General Strategy Help

Started by Zeyn, July 20, 2010, 05:56:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeyn

Hey guys ive been playing online for a little while now and im having a lot of difficulties against a few matchups. I recently started using balrog and hav a tonne of trouble against blankas and guiles. I cant really find a way to be offensive against these characters and just find myself spamming ex punches and overheads jst to get close which usually jst get blocked or i eat a blanka ball or flash kick. any tips against these 2? shud i start playing mroe defensive?? any help is appreciated!

Barnstorm

just block with blanka
none of his moves are safe against rog
also jab is your friend

with guile im not so sure though besides ex rush punches to go through booms and once close enough maybe head butt through booms(but im not sure if you can do that on reaction/ guile might recover in time)

i think both matches are really turtley which sucks

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Yea, if you just rock the downback against blanka there isnt much he can do to score damage on you. The only thing to look out for here is jab -> electricity pressure which seems to have become quite popular. I dont know enough about rog to get around that safely tbh. But yea, blanka is all gimmicks. Patience will beat him every time.

Guile i think is a fair bit harder for rog than blanka is. If youre at the right distance vs guile (just outside sweep range), headbutting him through his booms is easy. However, at this range, guile shouldnt really be throwing booms. Odds are he is going to try to poke you. Just keep an eye on his pattern and fish for a counter hit with c.mp.

If he is locking you down with booms, youre probably best to just walk forward -> block -> walk forward -> block. Mix in some FA's and neutral jumps for good measure. You'll find you corner him fairly quickly, or he loses patience and comes to you. Then you can start pressuring him with jabs etc. Dont get too reckless though, or youll eat a flash kick. Every now and then you will get through with an EX rush punch, but i would use those sparingly. Theyre a great tool to use a couple of times, but bear in mind the guile player is probably waiting for you to attempt this.

I dont think rog needs to turtle against guile, particularly because if guile is sitting at the other side of the screen doing the same thing, he comes out better off. You just need to be patient. Move forward when you can, but make sure youre blocking or evading the onslaught of booms. Patience =/= turtling. In this case, youre trying to pressure him using your distance. If he booms at the wrong distance, he eats a headbutt. He isnt bad at close range, but youre better. At max range, he is stronger than you are, so if you can force him to the corner, and close the distance, you even out his advantages considerably. Keep an eye out for openings where you could land a quick sweep/dash punch etc, because whatever damage you can score will be helpful.

Ben will probably call me out on this, because im not exactly an expert on rog, and i could be very wrong. But that is how i see it anyway.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

[8-----D] Toots

The guile match has changed alot because of the quicker charge time on booms but what Bill has said is all pretty legit. Its pretty hard to push him to the corner now which is kinda dumb cos its the only place where Rog can win against and good Guile imo.

Definitely one of Rogs hardest matchups now.

Zeyn

thanks guys i'll be sure to use that information the next time i face either of them. One type of fight i absolutly hate is the runaway fireball fight. I vsed a akuma about a week ago and all he did was runaway air fireball/multi hit fireball (dont kno the name) and wen eva i got close he wud air tatsu away or teleport. i was using rufus with ultra 1 and could not find a way in. rufus cant do a thing from distance and to make me even more pissed off he wud throw in the occasional taunt wen i was across the screen. i kno nothign can really be called "cheap" in sf but this pissed me off. how wud u guys go about this match up? if i had known he wud play like this i wud hav gone with ultra 2 but yeh.

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Quote from: Zeyn on July 21, 2010, 08:53:28 PM
thanks guys i'll be sure to use that information the next time i face either of them. One type of fight i absolutly hate is the runaway fireball fight. I vsed a akuma about a week ago and all he did was runaway air fireball/multi hit fireball (dont kno the name) and wen eva i got close he wud air tatsu away or teleport. i was using rufus with ultra 1 and could not find a way in. rufus cant do a thing from distance and to make me even more pissed off he wud throw in the occasional taunt wen i was across the screen. i kno nothign can really be called "cheap" in sf but this pissed me off. how wud u guys go about this match up? if i had known he wud play like this i wud hav gone with ultra 2 but yeh.

I hate this match too, because i dont have a lot of patience.

Honestly, its similar to Rog vs Guile. Just keep inching forward until he's cornered. FA -> forward dash -> block is particularly useful, since odds are he isnt going to attempt to follow in his projectiles and hit your FA after the FB is absorbed.

Once he's cornered, he is probably going to try to either tatsu out, or teleport out. If you sit just outside of sweep range (this particular distance is REALLY useful when youre fighting people who play predictably, like in this example) wait for him to tatsu or teleport, and you get an easy punish. Additionally, if he goes for an air fireball, youre at a prime distance to punish that as well.

The weakest point of a player playing like this is the tatsu/teleport escape. Beating someone that plays like this is a matter of setting yourself up at a distance where you can punish the escape.

Additionally, this is something to bear in mind whenever you have someone cornered. The first thing on their mind will be looking for an opening to get OUT of the corner. So you KNOW what they will try to attempt, so you can set yourself up to punish it.
<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

Barnstorm

That shit annoys the crap out of me also
I played an akuma like that (funnily enough with the name of maziah so thought it was mason)

like bill said inch them into corner then wait for their escape and punish hard
If possible get the first hit in and wait him out and jump/focus his fireballs since a lot of players like that are not patient enough to runaway with a life deficit

Nick4now

I agree with the two posted above. Also don't be afraid to trade hits. If you know that he's gonna air fireball, j.hp. Land that a couple of times and he'll come to a realisation that trading isn't a good idea and most likely will think twice about air fireballing you.

Push him to the corner and make it look like you're gonna rush him down so that you force him to teleport/air tatsu away from you. Like Birry said stay outside of sweep range and punish the teleport/air tatsu with a c.hp (c.hp covers around about 2/3s of the screen  ;D)

The Self-proclaimed Christchurch Hyper Fighting 2011 Champion

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

^Thats a good point from Barnstorm. Dont be afraid to get a life lead and sit on it. Try and make it substantial enough so that you wont accidently eat a fireball or 2 and be back at a disadvantage though.
<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

geneterror

Also Rufus vs Akuma don't forget you can df+mk "roll" under his air fireballs. Thus dodging the fireball and closing a lot of distance. Might take a few trys to get the timing right but it's another thing that will make them think twice about random air fireballs all the time.
KOW 2011

massi4h

You can also crouching fierce the fireballs as Rufus for the trade and it beats teleport out of the corner pretty well.
And use Ultra 2 with Rufus, it will beat teleports and bad jumps/demon flips. I'm not too sure if it beats air fireballs though.

Also Maziah is a poser who wants to be me of course. He got so angry at me when I didn't add him as a friend and now whenever I join a game and he's in it, even ranked, he quits immediately :D

zos'la

Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

HoneyBadger

lol @ mason giving the best advice. You should all be ashamed of yourselves hahahaha
my mum found dark dawn on the DS.

that game is gonna get raped.

MUMMYHALA

[8-----D] Toots

Pick Ultra 2.....Cya Akuma

zos'la

I'll use Akuma and U pick ultra 2!!! round 1... RUN RUN RUN
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.