• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

Newbies: feel free to ask for help! We can do training sessions online as well!

Main Menu

OzHadou Nationals 6 29th-30th Sept Sydney

Started by fluxcore, July 09, 2007, 11:18:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fluxcore

The big-brother jealousy inducing event that is the OzHadou Nationals is coming again... offical tourneys in MvC2, CvS2, SF3:3s, VF5, Tekken5: DR, Tekken Tag, Super Turbo, and even Alpha 2! Other games are sure to have side-tourneys as well.

3s apparently has a guaranteed $500 pool for the top 8 players - not that that would cover airfare and accomodation! :D

For more info, see http://www.ozhadou.net/ohn6/

--flux
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

[NIUE] Optimus DAVE

The New Generation Clockw0rk

Fate

I was/am thinking of going. I have a friend from the net who lives there, but I haven't been able to get in touch for awhile so I might not bother. Was only going to go and play in some casuals anyway, wouldn't waste thier time by entering in the 3s comp.

Ziggy

Thanks to fluxcore for posting this. I was considering whether or not to make a thread on NZism for OHN6, but this takes the decision out of my hands. ;)

It sounds like things are a little quiet in NZ at the moment, but hopefully this site will help get things going, just as OzHadou did in 2001 where we leveraged off the release of CvS2, and the popular Playtime arcade in Sydney (which has since closed down), to get tourneys up and running.

If you're a NZ Tekken or SF player (casual or hardcore), I recommend going to EVO. :P

But if EVO is beyond your budget, it would be great to see some NZers at OHN6. ;)

Fate: Did you get your OHN5 DVDs OK? Don't let your current level of play put you off coming and/or competing. Not every competitor is a top tier player (I have many "2-and-outs" on my tourney record :P), and regardless of how well you do, it's a great chance to play a wide variety of styles and learn more about the games that interest you.

If anyone's still thinking about coming to OHN, I have 3 pieces of advice to offer:

1) Bring a friend if you can. Events like this are a lot easier to get into for the first time if you're able to come with people you know. But you can always make friends while you're there!

2) Book early. We put OHN6 on a long weekend to help with logistics, but the downside is that travel and accommodation costs and availability will be more constrained. (Having the NRL grand final that weekend doesn't help either.) Don't leave it late, or else I suspect it'll be too expensive to come.

3) Aim to have fun. OHN is more than trying to win tourneys (although that is fun in itself if you know how to approach it). Come to experience styles of play you otherwise wouldn't encounter, and to meet players you otherwise wouldn't meet.

I hope some of you will at least consider coming over this year. It would be great to play more people from "our" part of the world. :)

fluxcore

I'm definitely considering going - and money isn't particularly the problem (well, going to the US just for Evo wouldn't be particularly viable I guess), it's more time - organising time off work and whatnot isn't particularly easy. I'm actually considering a trip to Brisbane at the tail end of August (I hear there's a decent MvC2 scene there too, bonus), so going off to AU again one month later might be tricky... we'll see though.

Thanks for the tips though, and best of luck with the event!

--flux
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

stereomonkey

Quote from: fluxcore on July 17, 2007, 06:12:38 PM
I'm definitely considering going - and money isn't particularly the problem (well, going to the US just for Evo wouldn't be particularly viable I guess), it's more time - organising time off work and whatnot isn't particularly easy. I'm actually considering a trip to Brisbane at the tail end of August (I hear there's a decent MvC2 scene there too, bonus), so going off to AU again one month later might be tricky... we'll see though.

Thanks for the tips though, and best of luck with the event!

--flux

and you can crash at my place if you come over :D.  Plus I can kick your ass with my Extremely R-U-S-T-Y skills :P  I always seem to forget all about OHN until it's the last minute. 
"I got that peanut butter chocolate flavour"

fluxcore

Quote from: stereomonkey on July 29, 2007, 12:33:33 AM
and you can crash at my place if you come over :D.  Plus I can kick your ass with my Extremely R-U-S-T-Y skills :P  I always seem to forget all about OHN until it's the last minute. 

Have you got room for two? I'm starting to think seriously about coming over for OzHadou, now...

--flux

fluxcore

Unfortunately the cheapest (and I mean special offer, must buy now) flights I can get there and back would be ~$600 unless I want to stay 10 days (bit of a stretch on a friend's couch!) in which case it's more like $400 - and while I love fighting games I don't think I can really justify that kind of expenditure (as much as I'd love to). The sad thing is that what with rising oil prices, air travel is only going to get more expensive - come on internet play!

--flux