• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

"The Aftermath" The Nats 2010 Post-Tourney Thread!!!

Started by Lennysaurus, August 23, 2010, 12:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stereomonkey

Reasonable entry fee + More players = Good Pot
Slightly more expensive entry fee + Less players = Okay Pot

What i'm getting at is that the entry fee at the moment is able to pull in the players that want to get that tournament experience.  The moment you raise the price without a solid benefit to those players is when we start to lose the community and then in effect, gain a smaller pot.
"I got that peanut butter chocolate flavour"

massi4h

Yeah I think the price ratio was pretty perfect.

St1gnate

i agree its the tournament exp. coming from a new guy in the scene, thats why i went  and to see if you get paired up with like keven lol and get mega rolled haha  :( but i didnt

zos'la

yeh u guys have got a good point, though I still believe we should have 3 games, rather than 5 which split the pot and also very tiring to organize at once...
anyways, whatever it is its up to u guys to decide, just giving my 2 cents.
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

Lennysaurus

Quote from: zosla on August 26, 2010, 02:16:00 PM
yeh u guys have got a good point, though I still believe we should have 3 games, rather than 5 which split the pot and also very tiring to organize at once...
anyways, whatever it is its up to u guys to decide, just giving my 2 cents.

Hahaha yeah 5 games was frikking nuts.

I think 3 is a good number.  For me this year was like a good farewell to those older games.  Whomever is organising next nats should prolly just stick to 3 recent games like BB:CS, MVC3, and Super IV. Something like that anyway.

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

zos'la

yup :)
Lenny ur not going to organize anymore ranbats and tourny? finsihed on organizing?

massi4h

Yeah like get 3 main games, but then smaller parts of the community can run their own DIY tournaments. I'm sure the 3s players will still be playing 3s next year lol.

Lennysaurus

Im not gonna have the time anymore.  Not to do them to the extent that I have done in the past.

I'm happy to help, but I won't be taking a leading hand in organising stuff.  Got something in the pipeline coming up, that a few of us will put in motion.

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Yeah I even had to struggle to get that 20 bux lol. I nearly didn't even make it, was fucking lucky as.

I reckon we should stick to those three games too. Too bad Tekken don't have much players ay. I'm sure heaps of cunts play Tekken. Whenever i say to someone ' I'll own you at SF bro' they always go 'Bro i'll sass you in Tekken'. Must just be hard for them to get together i guess. I think they just stick in there small arcade community ay, don't really converse with any console players and what not.

I honestly don't even care about the money. It's all about the placing imo. If i won that 200 i would've just shouted everyone at the bar , straight up. And i'm a broke nigga (wonder why lol). 3rd place is pretty impossible to get for 90% of the community and it was only $45. But yeah, i don't care about prizes and shit, unless it's some limited addition gold te stick!

Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

zos'la

Quote from: [â,,¢Âªv] Phoenix Lenny on August 26, 2010, 02:47:44 PM
Im not gonna have the time anymore.  Not to do them to the extent that I have done in the past.

I'm happy to help, but I won't be taking a leading hand in organising stuff.  Got something in the pipeline coming up, that a few of us will put in motion.

right...

Barnstorm

Quote from: [NYC] weazzyefff on August 26, 2010, 03:24:11 PM
Yeah I even had to struggle to get that 20 bux lol. I nearly didn't even make it, was fucking lucky as.

I reckon we should stick to those three games too. Too bad Tekken don't have much players ay. I'm sure heaps of cunts play Tekken. Whenever i say to someone ' I'll own you at SF bro' they always go 'Bro i'll sass you in Tekken'. Must just be hard for them to get together i guess. I think they just stick in there small arcade community ay, don't really converse with any console players and what not.

I honestly don't even care about the money. It's all about the placing imo. If i won that 200 i would've just shouted everyone at the bar , straight up. And i'm a broke nigga (wonder why lol). 3rd place is pretty impossible to get for 90% of the community and it was only $45. But yeah, i don't care about prizes and shit, unless it's some limited addition gold te stick!

Heaps of folks do play tekken
we even sent 2 players over to singapore for an international tournament

However I think the tekken community is rather lazy since events have been organized for them by timezone and they dont seem to play if they have to travel or need to have their own stick

Pinolicious

Quote from: Barnstorm on August 26, 2010, 04:31:13 PM
Heaps of folks do play tekken
we even sent 2 players over to singapore for an international tournament

However I think the tekken community is rather lazy since events have been organized for them by timezone and they dont seem to play if they have to travel or need to have their own stick

as above.  Also next day I went to Timezone to chat to some of the other regulars.  Some of them had work, or uni.

Also there are others like me who don't play as often, would've of been cool if they all knew about it/could make it.

I think it was t5 days when tekken was as big as ssf4 now.  during my competitive time anyway, i know tekken tag days were even bigger.  mmm... tekken tag
<PSN> Kriselda

fluxcore

Well, I definitely think it's possible to get tekken pumping hard if people actually wanted it to be. I think NZ has the talent and the community necessary to do it real justice if people actually came together for it.

I haven't seen anyone prove they actually want that though. Everyone seems happy with how things are. Which I find strange.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

CrazyMobius

Quote from: fluxcore on August 26, 2010, 04:58:36 PM
Well, I definitely think it's possible to get tekken pumping hard if people actually wanted it to be. I think NZ has the talent and the community necessary to do it real justice if people actually came together for it.

I haven't seen anyone prove they actually want that though. Everyone seems happy with how things are. Which I find strange.

I think this would be a cool idea. It's a popular game world wide. Games at Nationals looked pretty cool. I was a bit surprised no Blazblue at Nats either.

CptMunta

In regards to sponsors. They pretty much have nothing left to give away that's street fighter related. When it's not timed with a games release they really have next to nothing. Also it's the dry season for games releases in general so I can imagine even promo copies of any new releases are pretty  scant.

For capcom stuff it has to come from capcom Europe, then through capcom's distributors in oz then their leftovers get to nz. They promote the games and any leftovers we get. Anything else has to pretty much be begged for.

It's a shame our contac on the inside couldn't help us out this time around. I hope the leftover stuff for our events found happy homes though :)

Hopefully there's a huge marketing push behind mvc3. :D

Munta on the web: www.pavementart.co.nz
PSN: CptMunta