• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

Is anyone here actually learning/new in SSF4?

Started by Chocobuny, September 13, 2010, 03:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chocobuny

So for every other character I fought, I fought 5 kens. What is it about Ken that makes people flock to him? He's generic and mid tier, with an awful fireball and terrible ultras. I just don't see the appeal. I know its a worldwide thing that every online Ken is a scrub, but I don't know why they pick Ken.

massi4h

Because his uppercut has flames and does 3 hits and beats everything. Ryu's the main guy so you can't be lame and pick him you gotta pick the 2nd guy if you wanna be cool. And Akuma is useless cause he was really low health.

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Quote from: massi4h on September 26, 2010, 01:02:22 AM
Because his uppercut has flames and does 3 hits and beats everything. Ryu's the main guy so you can't be lame and pick him you gotta pick the 2nd guy if you wanna be cool. And Akuma is useless cause he was really low health.
hahaahaahahahah. Only the reall dumb cunts pick Akuma becausethey haven't noticed his bad health yet. And lp DP followed through with another is a gdlk strat. Or ex DP followed through with and ultra lmao.

That's why i like playin Ken in online ranked matches. They think your gonna be a random DP'ing Ken, then you bust out the pro links.
Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

CrazyMobius

Quote from: Chocobuny on September 26, 2010, 12:45:55 AM
So for every other character I fought, I fought 5 kens. What is it about Ken that makes people flock to him? He's generic and mid tier, with an awful fireball and terrible ultras. I just don't see the appeal. I know its a worldwide thing that every online Ken is a scrub, but I don't know why they pick Ken.

Most of these players I'm guessing are people that use to play SF2. Back in Hyper Fight days Ken was fairly popular. To the average player he looked like Ryu (the standard character) with a better dragon. I would say that's why you see a lot of Blankas online also. He was another character that was easy to pick up in Street Fighter 2.

To be honest I hardly see any Kens these days. I see a lot more Ryus and M.Bisons.

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Yeah Ryu is still the most thrashed char ay.

They thrashing Sagat in Japan right now.

All those M.Bisons are crap as though, and there just wannabe Weazzy's. Cos when i used to play them they never picked Bison, and now they flock to him lol.
Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Chocobuny

I fought an Akuma last night that would only jump back and fireball. Like he would literally never change this up. 1-2 dashes + cannon spike worked pretty well. But he had 3000 BP! Is BP just  how much you play the character? He had like 300 PP in comparison. Also fought a Cammy with 9000 BP and only 2000 PP, but she still beat me : <.

Rorooze

BP is for each character, and PP is your player points.

So yeah, the more you play with a character the more you BP goes up. Kind of indicates how much you play that character.

If someone has a high PP they probably only play one character, or they're good with lots of characters.
If someone has a low PP they're either pretty bad, or they've been trying lots of characters out which they don't usually play.

massi4h

BP barely means anything. You can win about 1/10 games and still get 5000BP if you play lots. PP can be a decent indication, but still not really.

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Yeah my pp used to be good, like 3300. Then i started fucking around on it when i was drunk now it's only 2700.

Bison bp like 4500
Ryu/Guile/Ken/Boxer/ A few other chars from vanilla are all like 2500-3000.

But i don't really like ranked anyway.

[NIUE] B1ackstar Ninja

both pp and bp are no indicator of how good a person is at the game , try playing human bombs chun with 100bp and 1020 pp , dude will rape you till the end of time with the whole cast .

i finally realise offline is where its at , online is just for fun , its never as good as playing offline
"Attack me if you dare , i will crush you "

Nick4now

Quote from: [NIUE] B1ackstar Ninja on September 26, 2010, 04:56:38 PM
both pp and bp are no indicator of how good a person is at the game , try playing human bombs chun with 100bp and 1020 pp , dude will rape you till the end of time with the whole cast .

i finally realise offline is where its at , online is just for fun , its never as good as playing offline

Agreed. When i first joined Xbox live someone invited me (I have no idea how that person found me) but after I won he sent me a msg like wtf? you're no noob! I just thought that it was silly of him to assume that just because I had 0bp/0pp.

But I am amazed at all the nz people who have managed to break 10k bp  :D

The Self-proclaimed Christchurch Hyper Fighting 2011 Champion

CrazyMobius

Quote from: [NIUE] B1ackstar Ninja on September 26, 2010, 04:56:38 PM

I've found playing online is superior to offline in two aspects. Variety and convenience. Playing offline can never be better at these two aspects but will be better at everything else.

Rorooze

convenience, hell yeah, but variety? no way man. too many ken/ryu players, the occasional bison and blanka. maybe it's different on PSN?

fluxcore

Learning matchups is still entirely plausible. I think some people around here get way too high and mighty about playing offline only.

As for variety, I saw plenty back when I was playing xbl ranked on AU.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

CrazyMobius

Quote from: Rorooze on September 26, 2010, 06:24:13 PM
convenience, hell yeah, but variety? no way man. too many ken/ryu players, the occasional bison and blanka. maybe it's different on PSN?

I was thinking more about variety of players rather than characters.