• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

10 ways to help your scene

Started by CrazyMobius, September 23, 2010, 03:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyMobius

Taken from this article here: http://iplaywinner.com/news/2010/9/21/top-10-ways-to-take-initiative-in-your-scene.html

1. Bring an Extra Joystick

This may sound brain-dead obvious but this is one of the best things you can do as a player. Bringing an extra stick to an event can mean the difference between having an extra set up for people to play on opposed to people standing around for an extra 5 minutes waiting their turn. Of course, this can be a tall order at larger events with so many players and that fact that you do not want to lose your gear. Always label your joysticks and try your best to keep a close eye on them.

2. Bring an Extra Monitor or CRT

Not everyone has an extra monitor or TV to bring to an event, but much like bringing an extra joystick, this can play a key part in having that one extra set up that will make the tournament run smoother or have another station just for casuals. Again, just like joysticks, be sure to use masking tape and label the equipment with a sharpie so it doesn't get lost in the mix.

Keep in mind, try to stick to tournament standard displays. If you bring your monitor from home that has a ton of lag but you're used to it, chances are other players wont want to even mess with it. When in doubt, bring a CRT TV to eliminate the possibility of lag.

3. Learn how to run a Tournament

Knowing how to run a tournament can be a huge help at an event. With Tournament and Event organizers usually neck deep in things to take care of, being able to call and report matches -- even for just a short time -- can take a huge load off their shoulders.

At most of our events, we use Challonge, which is a great web-based tournament running program. I recommend setting up an account and playing around with a fake tournament to see how it works. There are other tournament programs out there as well, so it never hurts to explore them all.

4. Learn the basics of running a Live Stream

Now, I'm not saying go out there and spend a couple grand on a stream set up just to lend a helping hand at the actual event, but if your scene has a stream, talk to the guys running it and see how you can help. Although behind the scenes, getting the stream up and running is a ton of work, many of the other details once it's up are fairly straight forward. Ask the stream team how to change player names and even switch from the player cam to the actual gameplay. Many of the people running the stream rarely get a break due to the fast paced nature of running tournament matches, so allowing them a chance to get a breath of fresh air -- especially at larger events -- is more help than you may realize.

5. Bring a Camcorder

Do you have a Sony Handycam or something similar? Bring it. Within a tournament environment, generally not every match makes it on the stream or is recorded at all. By having a camcorder in hand, this allows you to not only record matches that aren't on the stream, but also short interviews with players and all the other shenanigans that may arise at an event. Putting the spotlight on players and uploading these videos to YouTube is a great way to give your scene more exposure.

More than that, money matches are typically the most hype matches at the tournament, but rarely make it on the live stream. Having a camcorder to record these matches ensures that no salty face goes unnoticed!

6. Talk to the Event Organizers

Now, I'm not saying be an annoying pest while people are busy trying to run things, but if you see someone who is running an event looking like they are about to flip out, it never hurts to ask them if there is anything you can do to help. Perhaps it's running a pool that is behind or reporting matches. Sometimes something as simple as making a run to get them some coffee or food can make a world of difference as well. Either way, it's always a good idea to take a minute and see if there is anything you can do to help them out.

7. Bring Extra Cables

Don't feel like lugging and extra joystick or monitor to an event? That's fine, but you may want to pack up a few HDMI cables or powercords. Logic tells you that all of these things will be at an event, but we all know cables go bad and people simply forget to bring the essentials. Having a few extra HDMI cables on hand can sometimes help a lot with setting up extra stations at an event.

8. Help Promote

In order for an event to pop off, obviously people need to know about it. For the most part, tournament and event organizers can't be everywhere at once and talk to every player in the scene. If one of your homies is planning an event, be sure to spread the word to other players you interact with. Hit up threads on forums you frequent and be sure to promote the event and at the very least gauge interest and get some feedback.

9. Stick Around to Pack Up

I know, I know. The tournament is over and done with and damnit, you played your heart out. You probably feel tired and exhausted and you just want to go home. Now multiply that feeling by 10x and you'll get an idea on how the event organizers feel. By sticking around an extra 30 minutes and helping the event organizers pack up gear and clean up is one of the most helpful things you can do as a player. Even if they say they got it handled, the gesture alone is usually much appreciated, so be sure to keep this in mind.

10. Pay Attention to Scrubs

When you go to an casual event or even a tournament, finding the lonely scrub who has no one to play with and getting in a few matches can go a really long way. Of course you will recognize your friends and OGs at the tournament, but think about all the players who don't come back because they feel they cant compete? Sitting down with new players and getting some games and offering some pointers is sometimes the difference between them coming back and becoming a killer, or simply dropping out of the scene altogether.

moose!

originaljulz

Quote from: moose! on September 23, 2010, 05:18:49 PM
Emphasis on #10 imo.

Lol when I read this earlier, I was going to say the same exact thing. But then I didn't want to sound like a scrub, because I am a scrub. Lol. At SF4 anyway. Which was what was going on when I went to your 3v3s.
HEAVEN OR HELL? DUAL ONE. LETS ROCK!

[NIUE] weazzyefff

All of them are obvious, except for the last one. And maybe helping the organizers out.
Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

CaptainHook

Number 10! Number 10! Number 10!!!!!!
Xbox Gamertag is ZERO's, not capital "O"s ~~ CaptainH00K

fluxcore

I was going to say focus on #10 as well... so... yeah. Do that.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

Lennysaurus

Ya all of that is pretty sweet.

The Lenny approves.

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero