• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

Round Robin Ranking Ranbats. Or R.R.R.R. Dunedin Assist edition!!!!

Started by CptMunta, October 11, 2010, 04:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zos'la

Quote from: GamerzClub on October 21, 2010, 01:54:45 PM
They both play on PSN. Devilleto brings his pS and plays at my shop. But some times he goes on the xbox and use our accounts.
Yeah when time (and money) comes, will definitely look into north island. :)

icic.

U should of started with north island in the first place :P !@!!!
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

Flash

nah its good they started with the south island first zosla, auckland has a pretty good scene already which you guys are doing a great job of expanding, they are just trying to develop scenes elsewhere, and are still looking into auckland by the sounds of that last post if they get enough funds. better having a spread out scene instead of one huge scene at the top off the new zealand. At least everyone will level up.

****Up or i'll scratch yo face with my stubby little arms!

geneterror

Deviletto is pretty damn good if he is the same guy I was playing on PSN a while back.
KOW 2011

zos'la

It was more or less of a joking comment, but business wise it would be wise to start somewhere that has the demand and population for it.

If you talk community wise, yes I would agree that having other cities own scene would help us overall.

@Graeme, now you're making inching to play these names that are coming forward^^

Flash

just an idea gamerzclub, i know that your ssf4 weekly tournament has stopped but maybe instead of tournament you could have weekly or fortnightly training sesh or mashup like ChCh. so instead of paying $7 + $3 for venue just pay $3 for venue and no prize pot and you could promote it as a "do you want to level up your ssf4 game" or something like that to get people into it without the worry of money and have yourself, MJT, Devilletto help out the new guys. Because my experience with SSF4 players is that its more about the gathering and levelling up than the cash, well thats how i feel anyway just an idea bro, you will be talking with cptmunta anyway and i'm pretty sure he'll have some beast ideas anyway. Good luck bro.

****Up or i'll scratch yo face with my stubby little arms!

fluxcore

True that, however it can be useful to have a tournament running even with no prize, just to keep things focussed - and to get used to tournament pressure of course!
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

GamerzClub

Hi thanks for the ideas. Yea we been running sessions instead of tourneys. The tourney lasted only twice since i opened. We've been doing sessions ($5 dollars from 7.30pm-close 1am, on 2 of our 50inches, winner stay loser rotate) but still only a few of us are turning up. No new players. Maybe the beginner's session will be good, and have been toying with the idea of an event day either instore or in the meridian mall, have 3 or 4 machines setup just for fighting games. Couple to show/promote with combo vids, trailers, big events overseas etc and the other 2 for playing for fun. Idea is to have a public challenge/participation (altho we not the best, but i think competitive enough :P). Free play to the public and if they beat any of us they get free hour voucher. Just an idea tho....

Regarding center in North island/ bigger cities.. Have thought of all those be4 opening, and I agree with what the local NZ people say; if your business model/plan works in the south, it should work anywhere in the country. Its tough down here with the cold, being student town, fluctuations of spenditure etc etc. But I guarantee if it works well in this 2 years, north island will have a branch of Gamerz Club ;) 

Thanks for the support! Much appreciated!

CptMunta

Okay here's a somewhat convoluted idea  ;D

Both of us run either round robin (If under 10 people) or double elim (If over) Ranbats every second week.

Then either:

The winners from tourneys in both cities battle it out online to see who is the chap.

Top 2, 3 or 4 from tourneys in both cities battle it out online to see who is the chap.

So why every second week:
Every other week we have a casual online SF4 setup between both cities to test connection etc...

Why ranbats?:
Players get points wether they win or lose. The more dedicated players get more points if they keep showing up and the top players get more points since at the end of each tourney points are allocated according to how well you did. Also points from each ranbat add up so at the end of the season we could have some sort of play off between cities. So that way people are encouraged to return and hold onto their investment. Also we could do some sort of random prize at the end of every season so that players over a certain number of points and aren't top three can win something cool.

Prizes:
Ranbats need to cost the same in each city for it to be fair or at least minus the venue fee. At the moment ranbats in CHCH are at peoples houses so we have no venue fee. Whereas you guys have to pay rent. Maybe half the total ranbat fee from both cities goes go to the winner of the online match each ranbat or something. And the rest goes back into each communities scene for something special up for grabs come playoff time.

Why round robin?:
At the Dutchnoobz2 tourney in Holland and Winner Stays on tourney in London both started with round robin pools and then the winners each pool seeded the main event. Round Robin is great because every player in RR gets the same number of matches. So a newcomer won't get 2 games and is peaced out like in double elim, discouraging them to stick with it. It also means everyone gets to play a variety of characters and learn matchups for when we play Auckland.

North Vs South?
Could be the cultavation of all our efforts. Money raised between both our sessions could send a South Island team to Major tournies in Auckland. Either Nationals or Barfights or whatever. Top 3-5 from both cities get to go to Auckland.

So alot of this could be "pie in the sky" but I think it might be worth thinking about. I can help with promotion for Dunedin (Posters mashmaster prizes etc...) and also post stuff up at Gamestation in CHCH. I'm just pretty buzy with the SF travel doco atm but I could recycle  ;)

So whatta you guys reckon? Maybe this should be posted in the Dunedin Gamerzclub thread too?
Munta on the web: www.pavementart.co.nz
PSN: CptMunta

GamerzClub

Keen as max. Just let us know what you need us to do. I think we'll need do make some fliers to get more people to at least try it out, then the ranbats will work. So yeah any help with posters will be very much appreciated. We can get it printed quite cheaply here. I'll talk to devilleto again and possibly we might pick a night and host, vice versa, test connection. Possibly thursday night. Let us know eh. Cheers.

zos'la

CptMunta

Sweet :) will have to run it by the guys next mashup and see what suits. Only hurdles I can forsee is picking a night that everyone is free and making a back up plan if a woman goes into labour  ;) (wife is a midwife and I'd have to take care of my daughter) I'll run it by gamestation and see if they can host. Even if we space it out every month the Dunedin vs chch special ranbat.

Nick4now

I'm definitely down with the Chch/Duners Collab! I should be free mainly on Fri or Sun nights but I'd probably perfer Sunday night.

I hope Chatteris is reading all this because this is how to build a scene.

The Self-proclaimed Christchurch Hyper Fighting 2011 Champion

Skullator

Charteris wants you to know that he is reading, and that he's assembling his troops ready to pounce on you southerners.
He wants you to be prepared.

CptMunta

I think though we have other hurdles as well. Or player base in CHCH isn't that epic in size either atm. 12 people on a good night, 4 or so on a not so hot night. Also it may pay to wait on the ranbats till after exams and unis finished since it ties alot of our crew up.

I have no quams in helping out Dunedin with posters and what not. I'll just recycle some of our tourney posters and stuff. I'll try to get onto it once we iron out details.

I think every time a new game is released the numbers spike and then taper off as people start doing other things. I think it'll be buzzing again when Marvel 3 comes out or whe the Arcade Edition stuff hits console.

But that doesn't mean we can't have inter city battles in the meantime. :) I'll hook my PS3 up wirelessly for this Fridays mashup incase you guys are on. My handle is CptMunta or even text me: 021 162 7071. I'll hookup my headset too so you guys can chat if you have one. We should have a couple of guys keen to get some games in.