• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

Newbies: feel free to ask for help! We can do training sessions online as well!

Main Menu

SSFIV Top 9 Tips (from GameConsole)

Started by fluxcore, October 31, 2010, 12:24:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fluxcore

A few months ago, Lenny and I wrote a tips article for GameConsole magazine (June 2010 issue) and I have been granted permission to post the text from it up here :) Hopefully it helps some new players out!

(I've also written a top 9 tips article for Tekken 6 for an upcoming issue - keep an eye out for it)

Also, please support the mag - it's a good local effort and only $4 an issue.

Improve Your Game - SSFIV 9 Top Tips

1) PLAY REAL PEOPLE
It may sound obvious, but to improve you need to play against real people. Playing against the CPU can give you bad habits, and only a real opponent can test your timing, mind games and reactions.

2) DON’T JUMP IN
The temptation of jumping into your opponent and unleashing a devastating combo is hard to resist. But more often than not, pro Street Fighter players are more than prepared to counter an overeager opponent's jump-in every time.

3) LEARN YOUR NORMALS
Special moves in all Street Fighter games can be powerful and momentum changing. However, every great World Warrior will tell you that the key to victory is knowing when and where to use your character's normal moves and memorising their speed, priority, and power.

4) DON’T USE RANDOM ULTRA/SUPER MOVES
Super and Ultra moves are powerful, but usually very punishable if you don't hit with them. Save them for combos and situations where they are guaranteed (e.g. as anti-air, or passing through an opponent’s projectile). Missing an ultra or super could mean losing the round, match, or â€" even worse â€" the tournament!

5) LEARN TO BLOCK
New players want to push buttons. When you are knocked down or cornered, it's almost always best to block. Be patient and wait until your opponent finally gives you an opening to poke your way out of the pressure.

6) LEARN TO THROW
Well-planned throws can open up your opponent’s defence and force them to make mistakes when they realise simply blocking isn't going to stop you anymore. You will also learn how an opponent is likely to use throws against you, allowing you to tech or even hit them out of their throw attempts.

7) THERE ARE NO CHEAP MOVES
Street Fighter masters can adapt to any situation. Weak players complain that the opponent is cheap instead of improving their game and overcoming a particular strategy. If you have found something that your opponent cannot counter, then it's a winning strategy! Abuse it and abuse it until your opponent wises up, and then move onto the next strategy!

8) LEARN FROM YOUR MATCHES
After every match analyse what went well and what went wrong. If you lost, ask yourself, “what
happened?” Did you jump in too much? Did you get cornered a lot? Maybe your opponent hit you over and over again with the same annoying move and you didn't predict or punish well.
Understand the negatives in your game and think hard about what you can do to try and change the outcome of your next match!

9) PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!
You can use ‘practice mode’ to perfect your move and combo execution. You can also learn how to counter moves that you have trouble dealing with in real games. Set the training dummy to ‘record’ and replicate the tactic or move that you were having difficulty with, replay it and then use your character to learn how to counter that tactic!
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

massi4h

Yes this article was really well written and the tips are top tier. Everyone of decent level should read this. Nice work guys.

Skullator

samurai black

masons top nine tips for GH is my bible :P

CrazyMobius

Did you guys write these? Wow, awesome! I think it must be an 'old school' player thing that all of these tips are pretty much standard ways of thinking now. It's hard to comprehend being in the position of being new to Street Fighter and having to learn these things now.

Also the way of learning has changed a lot now due to the internet. With guides like those on Sonic Hurricane etc people now "read" how to play the game. Very interesting how times have changed.

Good stuff.

xpunch

Beast Article Boyz...

My jump in's need to stop lolz

Quote from: [PF]CrazyMobius on October 31, 2010, 05:37:01 PM
Did you guys write these? Wow, awesome! I think it must be an 'old school' player thing that all of these tips are pretty much standard ways of thinking now. It's hard to comprehend being in the position of being new to Street Fighter and having to learn these things now.

Also the way of learning has changed a lot now due to the internet. With guides like those on Sonic Hurricane etc people now "read" how to play the game. Very interesting how times have changed.

Good stuff.

I agree with how its changed, I see it as being better than before, ppl discover new things in the game everyday. post it up on the net and bam!! every around the world learns, which gets players to a higher level faster than just figuring it out on there own say (In the arcade) for example.  Also having (the Arcade) XBL and PSN at home we can practise combo's, timing n matchups etc... Pretty cool how times have changed.  ;D

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Fuck that i jump in atleast 30 times a match haha.

Nah you have to be more specific. You can jump in in heaps of different scenarios. Take Daigo vs Marn for instance. That nigga was jumping after every block string haha.
Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

Skullator

The average beginner doesnt know the difference between a safe jump, a safely timed empty jump, an unsafe empty jump, and a jumping hark kick.

Think they are dumbing it down a bit to target the never stop jumping online beginners lol.

[NIUE] weazzyefff

LOL i know bro. I'm just being a smart arse cunt.
Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

fluxcore

Read #2 again. Seems to cover it pretty well to me.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

[NIUE] weazzyefff

LOL yeah true Marn doesn't count as pro. He's a random ultra noob haha.

CrazyMobius

Hey if anyone can do one of these for KOF it would be appreciated. I have no idea how I should be approcahing the series in general.

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Someone posted those 2 awesome KOF general tutorial vids somewhere. Theyre a really good place to start. Im sure someone remembers where and can help me out by posting the topic.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

fluxcore

geneterror

Quote from: [PF]CrazyMobius on November 02, 2010, 02:53:09 PM
Hey if anyone can do one of these for KOF it would be appreciated. I have no idea how I should be approcahing the series in general.
We can do a KOF session at mine on Sunday or something if you want. I'm rusty as but I know all the fundamentals.
KOW 2011