• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

Wugga is eating uppercuts

Main Menu

Coaching Discussion

Started by Hydro, November 03, 2010, 07:56:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydro

Quote from: [PF]CrazyMobius on November 03, 2010, 07:41:24 PM
Yeah probably should stop doing that at the national tournament.

Yeah, not a good look.

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Quote from: [PF]Hydrokinetic on November 03, 2010, 07:56:36 PM
Yeah, not a good look.

It was pretty effective in the end on unwary opponents.

I thought i had that match down. Played heaps of abels, also had some casuals with simonfish before the nats and went 2-0. (Someone better not think i'm salty i will kill you).

But when he pull that out in tournament match i got mindfucked as. You don't really have to know much about it either. Except start it and be able to cancel it, which simonfish knew. It ended up working well to his advantage. I ben using it and getting heaps of cunts jumping back and shit lmfao, feels good to be on the other end this time haha.
Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

zos'la

I dont find giving advice is a problem? he asked,  I answered.
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Quote from: zosla on November 04, 2010, 08:55:51 AM
I dont find giving advice is a problem? he asked,  I answered.

You should know better than that by now Andy.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Quote from: [NIUE] BIRRY WONG on November 04, 2010, 08:57:53 AM
You should know better than that by now Andy.

Haha i'm so fuckin confused right now.

Anyway, does anyone have a spare $100? I wanna WEAR DIFFERENT COSTUMES IN SSF4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

geneterror

Quote from: [PF]Hydrokinetic on November 03, 2010, 07:56:36 PM
Yeah, not a good look.
Why? I heard you and Simon standing around giving each other matchup advice during the day as were a lot of other people. How is it different?
KOW 2011

fluxcore

I actually thought we had a rule about not coaching DURING a match, but I couldn't find it.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Was it a rule or just frowned upon? I cant remember.
<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

HoneyBadger

Never a rule, just people saying they thought it was/wasn't fair. tbh you should be assuming your opponent knows all this shit anyway and expecting to be punished for that unsafe shit.
my mum found dark dawn on the DS.

that game is gonna get raped.

MUMMYHALA

Lennysaurus

I think what is being said is that you shouldn't be coaching someone during the set.  Talking about matchups and stuff after or before a match is different.

TBH I am undecided on it.

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

The problem I personally had was that it meant that you werent playing to your opponents strengths/weaknesses. If youre doing something that he cant adapt to, then you deserve the win. If someone is sitting there telling them how to counter it and giving them a play-by-play free ride, then the COACH deserves the win, not the player.

Its pretty bullshit tbh. Yes you should be prepared for the other person knowing how to beat whatever it is youre doing, but if theyre NOT prepared for it, you should be able to counter this flaw in their playstyle. Why should a weaker player be given an advantage? Because hes weaker and needs a handicap? Fuck off. This is a tournament. If I was in the bathroom, Kevin wouldnt be allowed to play in my place. Why the hell should someone ELSE be allowed to dictate a match between two other people?

Ultimately though, I am of the personal opinion that people need to earn their wins. If someone is sitting there saying. "Do this now. Wait...wait...DO THIS NOW" then the player isnt going to learn shit. He's gonna get the win, but its ultimately useless for actually helping him improve.

I realise its a pretty petty argument. And realistically if the player needs live coaching, most of the time the better player will still probably win anyway. Not only that, there are too many valid points on both sides of the argument. I could type out a fucking novel arguing from both perspectives. This whole post has had most of it deleted because i was just talking in circles trying to address potential rebuttals to what i was trying to say (as is commonplace in my posts). Fact is, its better off left as just being 'frowned upon' since its a massive shitstorm of back and forth arguing that is so open that it quite simply will NEVER END.

Unnecessary semi-off topic rant over.
<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

[NIUE] weazzyefff

I don't really care tbh.

I guess just frowned upon would be the way.

I'm just salty on ssf4 costumes. Wish someone would join my saltyness in this situation  :-[

zos'la

First of all I want to clarify for you bill.
You can't really couch during the match, the players CAN"T hear what u say because they are too focused on the match anyways, espcecially during a tournament.
What I did was after the game, I would say, watch out for stuff like blah blah, use ur ultra!!!! or keep calm ....plain and simple.
This they already know, its just giving them some ..confidence I shall put it as.
On the other hand,  don't u think if a player can adapt to the gameplay and teachings within a macth deserve to win? because they are supperior if they can do it... I personally can't. :)
But if i was to be a dick, I'll just talk in another language that none of you would understand right? yeah.

oh this is what I am looking for,
Quote from: Oleetworth on November 04, 2010, 10:31:58 AM
Never a rule, just people saying they thought it was/wasn't fair. tbh you should be assuming your opponent knows all this shit anyway and expecting to be punished for that unsafe shit.

stupid example would be like people/fans watching Daigo playing Mago.
Mago using Fei U2 and has Ultra meter build up, they would shout DON"T JUMP IN AND ATK he has Ultra !!!!
Doh no fuckign shit, obvious but this is some player/ fan trying coach someone who knows it anyway? does that make Daigo less superior? no it doesn't, does it mean Daigo is not prepared? never.

meh /rant :)
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

geneterror

I actually have no problem with it. It's no different to Boxing/Kick Boxing, Netball, Basketball, table tennis or numerous other "sports" or competitve events where they have coaches. They have coaches in Boxing that can watch from outside the action and give the boxer feedback/instructions. Just like a boxing coach telling a boxer that the opponent drops their guard with their left hand every time they go for a right cross is no different to someone saying player "x" does a wakeup dragon after every knockdown (yes I know that is OBVIOUS it's just an example). Look at when the U.S top players play Daigo or another Japanese player they all swarm in to give advice between rounds at some events.

If you can convince someone into being your "coach" then good on you as far as I'm concerned.
KOW 2011

samurai black