• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

AvT Wellington LAN January 2011 - Cash prizes!

Started by Sparzx, November 07, 2010, 05:19:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sparzx

Hey guys, most of you wont know me, some of you will. Just figured you might want to join in on the fighting game tournaments we have at our upcoming LAN. Here's the announcement from our site  :D

Adversity Gaming is proud to announce their first solo event - AvT Wellington LAN!
January 2011 will see gamers traveling from around the country to Wellington's Capital E to face off head-to-head in a variety of Xbox360 titles.
With a main stage, expo area, and even free accommodation at the venue (should you choose it), this event is not one to be missed!

If you're a gamer interested in attending, here are the details you need to know!

The main tournaments (these will rake in the cash prizes and products) will be
- Halo:Reach
- Call of Duty:Black Ops
- Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock
- Tekken 6
- Super Street Fighter IV.

You may enter as many of these tournaments as you like. We will try our best to avoid clashes and schedule your matches so that you can play accordingly.
There will be a sleeping area should you want it. You will need to bring your own bedding though. (or just bring a pillow/sleeping bag and sleep at your xbox)
Tickets for this event can be purchased using online banking, or bank deposit, and are $50. There are no extra charges for extra event entries.
This includes;
- Entry into up to 3 main tournaments (if you wish to enter more, speak to me first so we can juggle timetables)
- Access to the network with Xbox Live
- Your event pass/lanyard (Same as the xLAN ones if you've been in past)
- A copy of the event booklet (with all pool, match, stage timetables within it)
- Space in the sleeping room (should you choose - But we've got ideas to stop or lessen the smell)
Unfortunately due to organising timetables to avoid clashes, there will be no door-sales for this event.
All players must be signed up and paid by the 31st December 2010, and may not change games entered after 5th January 2011.

We will feature updated scoring on the Events page of AdversityGaming.com - So that your mum can cheer you on if she cant make it!

As well as the main titles, we are pleased to offer a variety of mini-competitions, which will be held when competitive play has ceased overnight.
These are able to be requested on the Adversity Gaming Forums.
Currently, we have requests for alternate Halo, Guitar Hero and Call of Duty titles, and for a bit of nostalgia, a Crash Team Racing tournament on PS1!

GameConsole magazine will be at the event, supplying gamers with FREE 3 month subscriptions!

So make sure you get involved, get your friends involved, tell your xbox friends and spread the word. Lets make this one heck of an event!

Click Here to sign up!

FAQs:

- What do I need to bring?
Basically, as with most LAN events, you will need to bring everything you use to game at home. This includes your monitor/TV, console, cords, controller & games.

- Will my gear be safe?
There will be restricted access to the general public in the way of getting into the gaming area. Gamers will have specific identification passes and only those showing the passes will be allowed access into the gaming arena.

- Can my mates come to watch?
Yes! There will be dedicated areas for the public within the venue. General public will be allowed to view the gaming arena (but not physically enter it), and will have a seating area dedicated for the main stage. We aim to ensure that friends and family can get a good view of the venue and have the ability to watch you play, without compromising the security of people's xboxs and equipment.

- What about accommodation?
For gamers wanting to stay at the venue, we will have this option available. Just bring your own bedding, and some deoderant! Being found as smelly will see you forcefully coated in some 'pretty smelling' purfume.

- What's the deal with prizes?
These will all depend on the numbers entered in each tournament. We are not aiming to run this LAN at a profit, so anything that is in excess of expenses will go towards the prize fund for each game. It is also our aim to get physical items for prizes also, and spot prizes too! More sign-ups = bigger and better prizes.

- Can I pay at the door?
Unfortunately due to working with match schedules, having to pay for expenses, and having event booklets pre-printed we can't have door sales. All tickets for this event must be paid for by the 31st December and no event changes can take place after 5th January.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask them in here, or message me directly on xbox live. My gamertag is 'Li Sparzx'  :D

Skullator

Best of luck, looks fun.

Personally don't like the time of year for geeking. Too gorgeous out every day during the summer + Big day out the following weekend.

Chuckk

Could you please keep us up to date on how many people have signed up to the SSF4 event?

There are probably a few people interested in coming but tbh a lot of wellingtons fighting game players dont like ssf4, or play it all, so we'd be much more interested in going if it's popular and there are other people there.

I'm willing to pay, for sure, but look at it this way, I don't really want to pay to play a game I don't like, with people I already play against. If I liked the game, it'd be a whole different story haha.

Otherwise, it sound's like an awesome event and I'll most probably come and check it out at least. Glad something is happening in Wellington.
RAP GAME MIKE MYERS

"It's only the 360 version that is late.  PS3 version will ship on time."

-Lenny

Sparzx

Not a problemo. I'll definitely come back on and update with numbers for you guys  :D
I think it's only 1 or 2 people at the moment.

With the community I run not being a big fighting game community, we sort of just took the tournaments that worked for xLAN.
It was mentioned that perhaps MvC2 would be a better bringer for numbers. If that is that case, I am more than happy to run that as a main tournament as well as, or instead of SSFIV.
Otherwise, any suggestions and I'll definitely consider them instead.
I run events and competitions based on what people want, so let me know if a different game would get you more interested!  :)

Chuckk

I think MvC2 would be a terrible choice here, haha. Literally nobody plays it.

The only fighting game we have that has gotten any serious play aside from Tekken 6 is 3rd Strike. While I'd love to see that run, I'm aware it's pretty niche and for the most part dead, not only here, but everywhere in the world. SSF4 is probably the best choice as far as mainstream entry. And the other obvious problem for 3rd Strike would be actually getting a setup for it with sticks. I'd love for it to run, and so would several others but it probably isn't practical. Maybe moose and I could try run a side tournament for it, maybe.

Otherwise, it sounds fantastic that you are branching out to the fighting game community, and for that, honestly, I am very grateful. We're certainly a little fussy when it comes to the games we play, especially down here where nobody really has any get togethers or events for SSF4 (or at least, publicised ones on here) and we're mostly use to playing in the arcade.

Also in case you haven't, it'd be a good idea to post on tekken zaibatsu to get the tekken players into it, and also perhaps dropping off some flyers or promo posters to Timezone in Manners Mall. That'd be really cool if you could, it would really help spreading the word and save me from being the only one talking about it there, and so I don't forget the dates prices etc. If you do go to timezone, try and talk to Dave about it too, he's the manager and has been really helpful with the community over the last few years.

A couple... maybe one, idk, haha, of the better players in the country at Tekken 6 are from Wellington, so it'd be really cool to get them there for the event.

In any case, I hope you found this more helpful than anything else, but I intend to attend the event at the very least, if not a fighting game. Might enter Black Ops too haha, depending how shit I am at that by that point.

If you have any questions just let me know, cheers.

RAP GAME MIKE MYERS

"It's only the 360 version that is late.  PS3 version will ship on time."

-Lenny

moose!

Xbox lan = no 3S Chuck.
But yeah, MvC2 doesn't really have a following here that I'm aware of (Barnstorm correct me?). I think SSFIV is the best and correct choice.

I'll ponder over whether $50 is worth doing some T.Hawk trolling.

fluxcore

Would be cool if a few of the auckland peeps went down to welly to play... I'm sure there could be some 3s to play even if it's only on the side :)
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

Sparzx

I really appreciated your wall of text Chuck, seriously.  :D (Teach the Halo gamers to give feedback like that for me? haha)
I will definitely try to hit up TimeZone in Manners Mall (I'm in Auckland so I'll either fly down or see if I can email/call them)

I'll get onto the Tekken forums right now, we've got about 4 entries for that so far, and I'm hoping for some good numbers in that.

As for Black Ops, definitely come and play! even if it's just running around spamming the trigger. Haha  ;)

massi4h

OK guys I'm definitely going down. In terms of games, do you guys think BB:CS would be a hit? Since it's coming out pretty soon. And isn't HF a popular one down in Welly?

zos'la

SSF4 ftw.
But all depends on number, I hope to meet and play some new people.
If numbers are good, I will consider a trip down. Its been too long since iPlay days ><

so do keep us up to date with numbers and prizes :)
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

Pinolicious

<PSN> Kriselda

geneterror

Considering going to Welly for this but even if I do will probably on show up for SSF4 and then bail as Suzannah and I have been looking for an excuse to go to Wellington again but she won't want to sit around a LAN all weekend.

Question regarding sticks. I only play on sticks, I can't even get my head around playing pad as I have always owned a stick and/or played in arcades. In your FAQ it says you have to bring your own gear but mines all PS3 and this is on Xbox so I can't. Any chance there will be sticks provided by the organisers or something?
If I can't use my PS3 gear and there are no sticks provided by the organisers it's pointless me thinking of entering.

Yes I need to organise getting at least one dual modded stick but I have no Xbox yet so it hasn't been a problem as there are always sticks I can use at Giga.
KOW 2011

massi4h

Pretty sure it's the 15th.

NZism Auckland players going down will be awesome. I don't wanna go and win SSF4 and T6.

zos'la

Quote from: massi4h on November 08, 2010, 12:50:02 PM
Pretty sure it's the 15th.

NZism Auckland players going down will be awesome. I don't wanna go and win SSF4 and T6.

AHHA MAson, cheecky basa!!!!

@Pinolicious
The date is on the banner at the top of the page.. its 15th and 16th  JAN.....
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

Pinolicious

Lame,

Will be on the flight back from Philippines that weekend, was really keen on some Tekken action, especially after the sessions I'll be having in Philippines!  The community there is mad on fighting games, last time I went T5:DR was the thing, great players everywhere, a range of chars too, not just the typical Mishima's you had here.  I'm sure the Tekken community is still alive there, but would be stoked to see if the SF4 revival is kicking up there too.

Mason winning T6 would be mad lol.
<PSN> Kriselda