• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

Big ass lobby

Started by Lennysaurus, November 09, 2010, 06:12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpb123

Quote from: WoundLenny on November 09, 2010, 07:31:34 PM
Yeah you can have as many mics in a party as you like.

In all fairness, if we have someone in the lobby that is mashing ultras, then they are getting the swift boot lol.  But I think this is a good way to get our games up.

If people are getting hit by mash ultras they should be kicked too dont you think?

Wake up ultras FTW!!

Flash

Quote from: WoundLenny on November 09, 2010, 07:46:24 PM
You guys should use my ventrilo server.  Itd be waaaay better.

thats what i meant sorry was on shoryuken irc chat to see if i can fix stick

****Up or i'll scratch yo face with my stubby little arms!

Lennysaurus

Quote from: jpb123 on November 09, 2010, 07:48:32 PM
If people are getting hit by mash ultras they should be kicked too dont you think?

Wake up ultras FTW!!

Heres my thought's on this.  If you mash an Ultra or a DP or whatever invincible move during wakeup blockstring etc, you are basically taking a 50/50.  If you do it with your ultra you're wasting your comeback potential on a gamble.  If you do it with your DP or whatever, you may get punished for massive damage.

But let's say you hit with it and you get the payoff of an Ultra or a dp, what did you get out of it?  You got maybe a round or the game, you got to see a cool animation, but all you've really taught yourself is that when you are in a pressure situation, you just roll the dice.  You just take a gamble and hope that it pays off.  This is my issue with it and is a massive issue I have with our community currently.  So many people talking about wanting to get better, and then doing this shit, myself included.

The point of this sort of lobby isn't for us to spam our invincible attacks and be stoked over a win streak on Xbox live which is really honestly worth nothing.  It is about us together playing, practicing, and talking about the deeper metagame and levelling up as a community.

Not a dig at you sorry bro, but just letting people know a bit more why I thought this would be a good idea.

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

fluxcore

Sounds oddly reminiscent of a certain article by HAV I linked a while back... :)
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

jpb123

Quote from: WoundLenny on November 09, 2010, 08:02:59 PM
Heres my thought's on this.  If you mash an Ultra or a DP or whatever invincible move during wakeup blockstring etc, you are basically taking a 50/50.  If you do it with your ultra you're wasting your comeback potential on a gamble.  If you do it with your DP or whatever, you may get punished for massive damage.

But let's say you hit with it and you get the payoff of an Ultra or a dp, what did you get out of it?  You got maybe a round or the game, you got to see a cool animation, but all you've really taught yourself is that when you are in a pressure situation, you just roll the dice.  You just take a gamble and hope that it pays off.  This is my issue with it and is a massive issue I have with our community currently.  So many people talking about wanting to get better, and then doing this shit, myself included.

The point of this sort of lobby isn't for us to spam our invincible attacks and be stoked over a win streak on Xbox live which is really honestly worth nothing.  It is about us together playing, practicing, and talking about the deeper metagame and levelling up as a community.

Not a dig at you sorry bro, but just letting people know a bit more why I thought this would be a good idea.

I still think a wake up DP is a option and useful one.

Flash

Quote from: jpb123 on November 09, 2010, 08:35:54 PM

same here, but there is a difference between a random DP and a good read especially when your opponent is really aggressive and predictable a DP is a good option, but if they bait that they deserve the punish, but the same thought could apply to wake up ultra e.g. marns "read on daigo's backdash". But since this is online i don't think the same sort of thought is going on maybe i'm wrong. And also eliminating the randomness NZ has a chance with levelling up there "oki" game which i think NZ especially online is lacking in because of wake up ultra and DP.

****Up or i'll scratch yo face with my stubby little arms!

fluxcore

Getting up and walking away is also an option, doesn't mean it's a good one or, more important to this discussion, one that will teach you anything.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

massi4h

As long as nobody beats me I'll be keen lol. But yeah might as well get in on it.

Lennysaurus

Quote from: jpb123 on November 09, 2010, 08:35:54 PM

Oh totally dude, I'm not saying it isn't.  But I don't think that people really think about what it is a wakeup dp is really for, and the risk vs reward of using it.  And the fact that someone using it makes a verry clear statement about what they are willing to do in a round.

I go pretty balls out on an opponents wakeup, if they DP me on wakeup, then it tells me that they are prepared to take some pretty mad risks, so I will start to bait it out on thier wakeup.  Me punishing that one whiffed DP is worth all the damage I would get from just pressuring them all day on wakeup, given that with guy I can take almost 350 damage with only one EX bar, or more depending on where on the screen they are.

Someone that doesnt do that on wakeup, at most is going to get thrown.  It takes me 3 throws to do that much damage, so getting thrown and just sitting there with the odd crouch tech seems a far better way of doing it when you run the numbers.

IMO wakeup DP is more about making it so that your opponent cant safejump you, or punishing bad safejump attempts.  And I in all honestly don't think that your average live user that rocks the wakeup dragon considers this when they are playing.

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Yeah definitely Lenny.

Also read their bar just incase they gotta cancel and are using shoto or other dp happy chars. Backdash and punish gets the better than average players.

I just reckon it will put off the good players if there's waste of time scrubs in there. Not aimed at any of you. Nor any of you good players either. Just my opinion.

But yeah this is a great idea. I am sooooo kean to do this on PSN now.

But my ps3 headset is bluetooth. I got no bluetooth on my laptop. Something i didn't fucking realise when i bought this super deal.
Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

CrazyMobius

Quote from: WoundLenny on November 09, 2010, 08:02:59 PM

Just buffer the command and if you see an enemy animation press the Ultra buttons. If enemy doesn't animate press nothing or option select tech throw. Sorted.

CaptainHook

Quote from: [NYC] weazzyefff on November 09, 2010, 10:22:27 PM
I just reckon it will put off the good players if there's waste of time scrubs in there.

I know what you're saying, but the only way someone like me can get better is by playing people way better than me.
That's probably super boring for the other player, but how else can i improve?
Xbox Gamertag is ZERO's, not capital "O"s ~~ CaptainH00K

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Quote from: CaptainHook on November 09, 2010, 11:12:09 PM
I know what you're saying, but the only way someone like me can get better is by playing people way better than me.
That's probably super boring for the other player, but how else can i improve?

Hmmm...yer...fuck.

I'm not sure where your at so can't really comment. But i mean some people don't even bother learning the basics before they wana battle. Kinda waste of everybody time if you have to explain really basic shit like say.......'shoulda punish that properly bro'. You should already know your punishes before you play. Because the good player is at risk of getting into bad habbits due to bad punishers.

This is what happens to me anyway. Plus it makes me stop having fun. I'm pretty sure some people would feel the same way.

Someone please jump in and throw a diezal at me if i'm being a prick.
Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

Rorooze

Quote from: [NYC] weazzyefff on November 09, 2010, 11:22:15 PM
I'm not sure where your at so can't really comment. But i mean some people don't even bother learning the basics before they wana battle. Kinda waste of everybody time if you have to explain really basic shit like say.......'shoulda punish that properly bro'. You should already know your punishes before you play. Because the good player is at risk of getting into bad habbits due to bad punishers.

Heaps of new people don't know their punishes though (will resort to their bnb instead of punish combo, or just DP, etc), or don't know the match up well enough to know what they can/can't punish. Playing online doesn't help at all in this regard, ken's LP DP being a prime example (go to punish that shit and get a HP DP in the face). In the lobby, if you see someone that isn't punishing your unsafe shit, you should help em out and let them know.

CaptainHook

Quote from: [NYC] weazzyefff on November 09, 2010, 11:22:15 PM
You should already know your punishes before you play.

You want me to go read pages and pages of info, try and retain and internalize all that knowledge so i can pull it out
at will, WITHOUT playing or practicing it beforehand?

WTF am i missing?

Am i crazy?

It sounds like you only want to play people on your level or better. Which is fine. But i don't know how
the community will "level up" if everyone who's not already good get left out.
Xbox Gamertag is ZERO's, not capital "O"s ~~ CaptainH00K