• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

Newbies: feel free to ask for help! We can do training sessions online as well!

Main Menu

Big ass lobby

Started by Lennysaurus, November 09, 2010, 06:12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Yeah, your actually bang on there.

But still if they punish a whiffed hp dragon with a throw or something as gay. Then it gets me doing dumb shit and not enjoying game.

But if they good and not punishing things that aren't aswell known like ex pc then that is forgivable. 

But you are right bro and we should help them.

I'm gonna make a thread for a psn one tomorrow. As this is a great idea. I just hope it doesn't scare some people into not picking different chars cos of the line. I know it has that effect on me, and i'm just gonna try and go Cammy/Sim/Gouken anyways hahahaha.

Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Quote from: CaptainHook on November 10, 2010, 12:08:47 AM

You want me to go read pages and pages of info, try and retain and internalize all that knowledge so i can pull it out
at will, WITHOUT playing or practicing it beforehand?

WTF am i missing?

Am i crazy?

It sounds like you only want to play people on your level or better. Which is fine. But i don't know how
the community will "level up" if everyone who's not already good get left out.

Oh shit i didn't se your post bro. Was replying to Rory.

But nah not pages of shit. Man i didn't even read through all that shit till wayyyy later. f you watch a couple of youtube vids. You'll see heaps of shit that you can practice. Then when you bait shit, it would be worth it.

I duno ay. That's just how i got better. I watched youtube vids of my character. See what theyre doing. Practice it. Then use it.

But yeah i honestly think it's easier that way too. Instead of people saying bro you should blah blah blah and it going in on e ear and out the other. You can't exactly hear it then start doing it straight away. Or maybe you can.

Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Lennysaurus

Quote from: [PF]CrazyMobius on November 09, 2010, 10:48:25 PM
Just buffer the command and if you see an enemy animation press the Ultra buttons. If enemy doesn't animate press nothing or option select tech throw. Sorted.

Yeah of course Bro, that goes without saying.  If someone does something massive and obvious on you're wakeup then you pump those quarter circles and then fuck that dude up.

But you're average person cant react to 3, 4 or 5 frame startup moves.  When someone DP's through that, or Ultra's through that, then they usually aren't thinking about what they are doing, and that is the shit which is silly.

Also Hook, its not about keeping scrubs out, its about people that want to learn playing.  By all means you should jump on this cause it is what you'll be looking for.  This idea is for people that want to get better to come and discuss/play the game properly and everyone sharing their knowledge.  This way everyone learns no matter what your skill level for the following reasons:

-beginners get to have more experienced people giving them feedback
-advanced players all get together and do some critical analysis of what happened during matches and share their views on how the matches went down

This is about getting our whole communities skill levels up.  It's about more than just ourselves.

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

Nick4now

Quote from: WoundLenny on November 10, 2010, 12:29:35 AM
-beginners get to have more experienced people giving them feedback
-advanced players all get together and do some critical analysis of what happened during matches and share their views on how the matches went down

I think we should do that more in the Feedback threads too rather than just a ggs message with compliments (I'm guilty of that too  :P). More pointing out faults and detecting each others weakness and voicing them out I say. A good example was the feedback that Lenny was getting in the "All Your Replays Are Belong To Us! - The Gameplay Feedback Thread".

The Self-proclaimed Christchurch Hyper Fighting 2011 Champion

Gino

I'm so keen for this. Haven't play with a bunch of good people in almost a year!

fluxcore

It's not about just playing good people, you can do that anytime :P
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

CrazyMobius

Quote from: CaptainHook on November 10, 2010, 12:08:47 AM

You want me to go read pages and pages of info, try and retain and internalize all that knowledge so i can pull it out
at will, WITHOUT playing or practicing it beforehand?

WTF am i missing?

Am i crazy?

It sounds like you only want to play people on your level or better. Which is fine. But i don't know how
the community will "level up" if everyone who's not already good get left out.

I think it all starts with an attitude. If you are expecting other people to help you get better you will end up losing a lot more because you are giving your power away to others. You should take matters into your own hands and say "I'm gonna get better and beat you guys. I don't know how but it's going to happen." Don't overthink this shit. I mean you gotta have confidence in yourself or you will always end up on the losing end.

If you see yourself as a jobber then of course that's ultimately what your role will end up as.

CaptainHook

Quote from: [NYC] weazzyefff on November 10, 2010, 12:27:13 AM
I duno ay. That's just how i got better. I watched youtube vids of my character. See what theyre doing. Practice it. Then use it.

But yeah i honestly think it's easier that way too. Instead of people saying bro you should blah blah blah and it going in on e ear and out the other. You can't exactly hear it then start doing it straight away. Or maybe you can.

I think i've been down this road before on here. :P
For me at this stage, the learning style of watching videos is lost on me until i get better.
I can't recognize what's good, or what's bad by just watching someone. So i can't learn from it.
But if scribble or Lenny tell me something during a game it usually sticks with me and i'll start
trying it. I usually get worse straight away till i get the hang of it, but at least i can learn.

Also, people better than me can quickly identify my weaknesses. More so than me, cause
i don't really know what's bad form or good yet.

Quote from: [PF]CrazyMobius on November 10, 2010, 08:21:53 AM
I think it all starts with an attitude. If you are expecting other people to help you get better you will end up losing a lot more because you are giving your power away to others. You should take matters into your own hands and say "I'm gonna get better and beat you guys. I don't know how but it's going to happen." Don't overthink this shit. I mean you gotta have confidence in yourself or you will always end up on the losing end.

If you see yourself as a jobber then of course that's ultimately what your role will end up as.

All i'm really saying is that for me to get better at something, i gotta do it a lot. Reading and watching videos
may help some, but ultimately playing people better than me (especially when they're helping me) has been
the quickest way for me to learn so far. So i just want to play a lot. Which i haven't had the chance to do yet.
Xbox Gamertag is ZERO's, not capital "O"s ~~ CaptainH00K

fluxcore

Do you actually have a mic hook? It's a lot easier to give advice vocally - when we played I was trying to give you some experience vs different chars by playing them twice but not being able to explain what I was going for or what their special things were really makes it hard.

Also I think I need to point out the obvious - every learns slightly differently. Some people get lots out of videos. Some get lots out of reading. While it's good to suggest ways to learn things, saying "x is how you learn" is somewhat false.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

electric

I really like this idea - kinda sucks about PS3's mic limitations, but obviously that can be worked around with vent.

@CaptainHook Some people learn in different ways, which is totally and utterly fine. If you don't know your best punishes, go into training mode and turn on the damage/combo data, then just figure out which combos do the most damage. After you start doing your own punishes, then watching other people do variations of them will help you learn whether yours is the BEST punish, or whether you're missing out on something like an extra 30 damage points or ending with a move that keeps your opponent cornered or whatever.
"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

zos'la

Captain hook learns in a similar way like me :) the best way is to go to yifans, lunch time is a good time where many peeps are there for you to play and learn from :)
Personally I hate reading and I hate going into training mode lol, unless I have to!!! but yeah I learn majority of my stuff from playing people and seeing what they do and such and incoorperate it into my gameplay, this is at the arcade of course :)
A good example would be me playing Mason, Sakura mirrors, Sure my Sakura beats him possibly 7-3 most the time? :P might be exaggerating it a bit :D but I can tell you that he is 100% more proficient in all combos and gimmecks than I am, the only difference is experience? I use the most BASIC combos combind with mind games and such to beat him. But after each match I will learn something from him, new tricks/ gimmecks or combo, sometimes I will purposely do certain moves to make him SHOW me those tricks and combos :)

This is what works for me as the play to learn type, just keep in mind u remember your matches after you lose or win and review what you did good or bad etc... hope I didn't go off topic too much.
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

IR U IM B IL E

Im keen for this. Great idea. It'd be good if people play with their mains or characters that they are seriously trying to learn. Seeing as we're trying to get a proper discussion and talk regarding gameplay and stuff, there should be no "muck around" character choices. Mmmyeah?
"...there's a big difference between winging it and seeing what happens. Now let's see what happens."

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Yeah sounds like everyone hs completely different learning styles lol.

CaptainHook

Quote from: fluxcore on November 10, 2010, 09:10:46 AM
Do you actually have a mic hook? It's a lot easier to give advice vocally - when we played I was trying to give you some experience vs different chars by playing them twice but not being able to explain what I was going for or what their special things were really makes it hard.

Yeah i do. It's just hard to use at my place as i'm in the same room as the tv and flatmates so have trouble hearing with it.
I actually usually play with no sound too for that reason. But for this i will setup in my room so i can use it. :)
(except i don't think i can make this first one. :( )

Quote from: fluxcore on November 10, 2010, 09:10:46 AM
Also I think I need to point out the obvious - every learns slightly differently. Some people get lots out of videos. Some get lots out of reading. While it's good to suggest ways to learn things, saying "x is how you learn" is somewhat false.

I guess i should have said that and saved myself some trouble.  :D
Xbox Gamertag is ZERO's, not capital "O"s ~~ CaptainH00K

geneterror

Yeah I think we all do and it's true different people learn different ways.
I'm like Andy I learn form actual matches, I hardly ever use training mode apart from testing to see if I can get something to work and if I can I just start trying to apply it in matches. I'm a visual learner, I can watch videos all day long and learn a lot from them, but I see Hooks point that if you don't know what to look for you won't learn anything that way. I have already started to implement stuff I saw Hugo101 and AndyOCR do at SCR :)
On the flipside I have little to no patience for trawling forums. I think this is why it's taking me so long to pick up BB:CS, I am to impatient to trawl the net and I have very few people to place against, I haven't played an actual person in two weeks now so it's hard to put stuff into practice and it's a LOT harder to learn stuff from watching vids for BB:CS.

Anyway sorry for the off topic just thought I chick my 2c in.
KOW 2011