• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

"Improving NZ - One scrub at a time" Article 1

Started by Lennysaurus, November 10, 2010, 11:51:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainHook

Maybe the desire isn't so much lacking, as leadership? Lets face it, people are basically sheep, but i don't think from what i can
tell anyone has led the herd into this mindset yet. Which i guess is Lenny's intention with this thread..?

I'll say it again, lead by example. Someone. Hehehehe.
Xbox Gamertag is ZERO's, not capital "O"s ~~ CaptainH00K

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Yer i think you's are all right in a way.

I don't think it takes long to level up if you see what your doing wrong and change it. Or work on it or w/e. I know it's boring but, it takes way longer than just playing over and over and failling your shit hardout. I tried to do that when learning fadc. Didn't wanna go training mode and learn it. Thought i'd just slowly get there playing people. Didn't work.

Anyway I'm keen for meetups.

Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

Chuckk

I just want to say, and no homo, but weazzy is an amazing example of a dude who was pretty average, worked real hard, and it showed by his great placing at Nats this year. He is not the only example, but he's a good one. There are other people as well who have already proven that you don't have to be bottom of the barrel, and free money for the better players, if you don't want to be.

Andy also made a really good point when responding to Graeme, it isn't necessarily about how much time you put in, just what you do with that time. Think about why you're doing things rather than just doing them, then if they don't work you might understand why. Small things like that can be done in a small time period of playing or practicing to make a big difference to how you're using your time.
RAP GAME MIKE MYERS

"It's only the 360 version that is late.  PS3 version will ship on time."

-Lenny

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Im going to try avoiding commenting on this. Personally i see the merits of both sides, and I honestly cant see myself siding with either without contradicting my feelings on the matter to some extent. Honestly, its really difficult to say anything that I myself can't argue against.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

geneterror

Quote from: Oleetworth on November 11, 2010, 02:13:03 PM
Keen for weekly meetups. That post wasn't really directed at you Graeme lol.
All good I didn't think it was, I just thought there are probably just a few people in my position is all. Let's start organising something regular. LEVEL UP!
KOW 2011

geneterror

Quote from: [NIUE] BIRRY WONG on November 11, 2010, 03:10:42 PM
Im going to try avoiding commenting on this. Personally i see the merits of both sides, and I honestly cant see myself siding with either without contradicting my feelings on the matter to some extent. Honestly, its really difficult to say anything that I myself can't argue against.
I think we can achieve both sides though. I like the idea of monthly Ranbats and weekly meetups. We can all get togther hang out, talk shit and work on our game. I know even at Ranbats during casuals sometimes you don't feel like you can pause midgame and say either "Hey you keep hitting me with that what am I doing wrong" or "I keep hitting you with move X you do need to do more of this". Which is what I think we need more of, then when it gets competitive hopefully some of us will have improved and we can put our game face on and those that are not so serious can do their thing as well.

One thing I really liked was an idea I saw on a video for SoCals (I think?) Wednesday night fights where they have 4 pools A, B, C, D with A being the high level pool but if you get knocked out of Pool A the next week you have to fight your way through Pool B, C or D while the winners of Pools B, C, D move up to pool A to take the place of those who lost while in Pool A the week before.
This keeps us scrubs away from Fong and Jack on our first game of the night while giving us a goal to work toward, spending a week in Pool A haha.
Of course this is a potential nightmare for scoring but is something to look at for the next Ranbat season?
KOW 2011

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Yea for sure. I just dont want to say something like. "YOU GUYZ NEED TO B MOAR SRS" when at the same time im also thinking "ITZ JUST A GAEM IT NEEDS 2 B TEH FUNZ" or the other way around. Because honestly, i think both are correct.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

HoneyBadger

Yo, no reason you can't have fun AND be competitive. It's not like we're asking everyone to go beast Jack next ranbats, just try to step up how they think of their losses during shit like tourneys and ranbats. Heaps of people complain about just getting smashed by the good players cause it's not fun losing, thinking like this will at the very least lower your smashing to a beating.
my mum found dark dawn on the DS.

that game is gonna get raped.

MUMMYHALA

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Quote from: [NIUE] BIRRY WONG on November 11, 2010, 04:32:54 PM
Yea for sure. I just dont want to say something like. "YOU GUYZ NEED TO B MOAR SRS" when at the same time im also thinking "ITZ JUST A GAEM IT NEEDS 2 B TEH FUNZ" or the other way around. Because honestly, i think both are correct.

Yer fuck. Atleast you clicked on before you started posting. I didn't and got lost on what i was saying very quickly lol.
Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

Rorooze

Quote from: geneterror on November 11, 2010, 03:42:11 PMI know even at Ranbats during casuals sometimes you don't feel like you can pause midgame and say either "Hey you keep hitting me with that what am I doing wrong" or "I keep hitting you with move X you do need to do more of this".

This is one of the reasons we've suggested that people find someone they want to play with and have a set with them instead of one game and loser gets off. They can either play serious or can try some new things out and go over the match up. The ranbats are just as much for levelling up as they are for kicking back and talking shit.

CaptainHook

The reality is it's not always easy at ranbats tho. I asked rumble to show me some guile stuff  (which he said sure) but
it just didn't happen cause of everyone else playing and taken their turn etc and i was hardly gonna ask 2 people to
get off the machine so i could have some games so i just never got to play rumble.

zos'la

thats why u watch him play others that can beat him and see how they delt with the problems you have^^
or even better search for some top lvl players playing guile vs your char and compare what they do right and wrong, what worked and didn't.
You proly say you don't know what to look out for.. but you just have to watch more and try bit by bit :P thats how we learn right? trial and failure.
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

IR U IM B IL E

Following on from what Zosla said, when I started out playing SF4 a big part of my learning was from watching the top players play. I never thought about why they did what they did, I just went about trying to mirror their play/moves/combos. Even though I gained a lil bit of knowledge trying to play like them, alot of the reading and understanding the technical stuff came much later.

Tbh, I still do that now.
"...there's a big difference between winging it and seeing what happens. Now let's see what happens."

CaptainHook

(edit, oh Rumble posted before me - but mostly my post before was in response to Rory, but i'll continue on this track anyway.. :P )

Well i'm playing Guile but i get what you mean.

I think watching others at the moment for me is still, "i have trouble with everything, where do i start?". Which is why someone else helping
is so good, they can spot your weaknesses straight away, ones i don't even realize i have cause i know no better.

I think really the stuff that makes the biggest difference to me is knowing the "general strategy" in a matchup. Like Lenny will tell me in
one brief sentence "against sim, you basically want to keep him out with booms and punch/attack his limbs (but just quietly you're kinda fucked
for now..)".

Which is why i'm surprised there isn't a site out there that just lists this stuff. (i've posted that here before..)
Why is there no "If you're (insert char) playing (insert char), you want to approach the match with this in mind ............ " list somewhere? :D

I've tried the SRK site but its a clusterfuck of disorganization.

Fuck it, i'm gonna start a thread here and ask people to post it. :P

geneterror

Hey Hook take a look here http://streetfighterdojo.com/sf4/index.html although it is SSF4 mixed in with Vanilla a lot of it translates across. I know it's still vids but they are matchup specific and sometimes the commentary drops some knowledge bombs so I hope it's more like what you're after.
You basically choose you character and then choose the character you want to watch the matchup. Not sure if it's been kept up to date but I watched a lot of the vids when I was learning Bison.
KOW 2011