• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

Discipline. Justice. Commitment.

Main Menu

"Improving NZ - One scrub at a time" Article 1

Started by Lennysaurus, November 10, 2010, 11:51:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainHook

I love playing ST. Everyone seems to play SSF4 tho so i figure i should learn that to get more chances of playing the really good
players to improve at SF in general. If it was 3s or another version that was the popular choice i'd be trying to get good at that.

But yeah, i love ST.
Xbox Gamertag is ZERO's, not capital "O"s ~~ CaptainH00K

zos'la

Im sure u will enjoy SSF4, its definitely one of the best SF made. But of course we have some people who finds it being shit so it can go either way for u :P I personally enjoy it :)
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

Cr8zyK1LL3r

Quote from: WoundLenny on November 10, 2010, 11:51:40 AM
"Laugh Less, Think More"

These articles won't have a roadmap to becoming the best.  In fact they contain no tips at all.  They are about challenging your personal thinking about our community and the game.  In fact, if you read these articles and reply with "oh yeah I learned this OS and it made me heaps better" you will have missed the point entirely.  The challenge isn't being thrown down to your execution, your zoning, or your reactions.  The challenge here is being thrown down to your attitude and your thinking.

very nice article, very good job Lenny !!
The bold sentence is the reason why Kevin has 0 practice and still smash everyone at every tournament. He's dropped his execution, his zoning, his reactions but he still has a clear idea of how fighting games are supposed to be.

IMO, understanding the concept of fighting games is a lot more important than understanding the game system itself. I have proven this by winning 20 games in a row against different KOF players when i played KOF the first day. That's why I've said: "They know how to play KOF, but they don't know how to play fighting games"

I can see there's a lot of potential players in our community because they have a very strong passion for the game. And I believe Lenny & Rorooze are doing their best to unlock those potential.

I have stopped playing this game for a long time, and my skill level is worse than many players in this community at the moment. So I'd probably in no position to give people advise..... But for those who wants an advice from the old Cr8zyK1LL3r. My only advise is: stop physically training the game for a while and put more mentality training into it.
This is like a war, physically training = building up your army, mentality training = building up strategies. History has proven that having a big army and bad strategy will lose to a small army with good strategy.

My English is not very good but I think you all know what i mean ^_^ And I'm sorry If my post offends anyone.

St1gnate

personally i think its not a bad thing have the levels of competition from kevin/simon vs others in that mid range vs guys like me trying to learn and excel in the game. It really means that every week or two there is always a new step that is taken and goals that are achieved, also i think thats where progress will happen,  when new people come into the community and have there own style and different take on a character. My next goal is to win a match at next ranbats. some would say thats small but for guys like us its there and for the taking. In short i think the community would be alot smaller with out that mid tier guys who want to have some fun in a game they enjoy.

LN

Setting goals, no matter how small, is an incredibly important step in the process :)
There is no knowledge that is not power

Cr8zyK1LL3r

that's right,
have goals + motivations = improving

CrazyMobius

Quote from: LN on November 13, 2010, 09:04:50 PM
Setting goals, no matter how small, is an incredibly important step in the process :)

I really think this is specific to the individual. Recently I realised something and I felt that my game increased exponentially. I think the key is look at yourself. See what works for you and go with that. If that's having a goal that's awesome but I don't think this is the only way.

zos'la

at the end, u have teh same goal, which is to improve, just different ways of improving.
your mental training is as important as your physical training.
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

Squares

I'm sure this has already been suggested, but maybe next year we could advertise more vigorously? I'm sure there are quite a lot of people in the area who play the game, are looking to get competitive or want to try it some time, but just don't know where to begin, not everyone is internet savvy.

Try get some coverage from popular sources, radio, television. I'm not going to apologize if these seem like generic and hard to accomplish ideas, like the opening post states. We won't get anywhere with attitudes like that.

(I emailed various television stations with information on the CHRISTMAS DAMAGER and the other happenings the community gets up to, I'm not a very active member in the offline scene yet, but I thought with some pushing maybe they would give us a look and show other people we are serious about what we do and that we are open to anyone who wishes to join in and learn!)
Nyaaaa

Lennysaurus

Big apologies guys.  This stuff has proved to be much more difficult than I thought.  Have just finished the rough copy of the second article, and am finally happy with it.  Will post it up tomorrow.

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero