• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

Getting use to the stick....

Started by MistaTCR, November 12, 2010, 06:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MistaTCR

Hi all, I haven't posted here in a while. Just finished exams ( FREEDOM!). Anyway I just got a Madcatz tourny stick from amazon.
The thing is, I feel its almost relearning certain things. I feel so NOOB as in more NOOB than NOOB. I jump alot, not use to the stick yet :-\.

I know practice, practice, practice makes perfect. Any tips from veteran and experts on these boards?

Thanks in advance

moose!

Get your grip right from the start 'cos it's hard to unlearn.
The jury is still out on what the "right" grip is though.

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Well as we all know i had this problem big time. I just grip it normal grip (w/e that is).

Practice in training mode is the best way. It's boring as fuck yo, but it's way quicker than playing games, TRUST ME!.

Keep me updated on what you have trouble with and i'll try help  :)

Also. Stick with your main char in training mode. Learn all there specials like dp motions etc on each side. I know you might think you got that suss. But just do it on each side like 50 times till it's like muscle memory again. Then start learning their bnb's on each side again. THEN more advanced shit when you got that stuff on lock.

It will take a while bro. It took me like 6 months. Some on SRK i read took 3 months. So yeah that bit does kinda suck. Your gonna wanna quit. But it's way worth it bro so keep at it.
Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

Gino

If anyone knows about this situation, it's weazzeff. Mad respect for the change to stick!

LN

There's really not a lot to add to what Weazzy said - it's really just starting with the absolute basics and working up from there. I would definitely highlight the 'practice it from both sides' bit - it's absolutely vital to be switch sides and perform motions from 1p and 2p. It's all too easy to develop a weaker side, and you want to mitigate that as much as possible.
There is no knowledge that is not power

MistaTCR

Thanks for the tips guys.

I'm gonna practice now  :D

originaljulz

Lol 623's are the worse motion for me. I still can't do them 100%, honestly.

Basically what I did was just sit there in training, and make sure I could do quarter turns and etc consistently for 30 moves without dropping one.
HEAVEN OR HELL? DUAL ONE. LETS ROCK!

MistaTCR

Lennysaurus

Quote from: MistaTCR on November 14, 2010, 01:52:25 PM
Um.. Whats a 623?

Dragon punch motion.  Some players use the number pad on the keyboard as reference for motions with 5 being the neutral position of a joystick, and then each number corresponding to a direction.  EG: 4=left 6=right 2=down 8=up, and 7,9,1, and 3 corresponding to the different corners.

So 236 is a QCF and 214 is a QCB.

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

MistaTCR

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Awwww truuuuu. So you mean a wrist jack swagger flick?
Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

Squares

Don't feel bad, I can't even do fireball motion yet.. I've tried watching the stick and not the game, spazzing out and repeating the motions and hoping it works, haha.
Nyaaaa

Mr. Justice

This video helped me when I first started using an arcade stick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsME37GrqjY

Note that you can be a cross between two of the styles, or more. I've nicknamed my grip the "Drunken Eagle."
j.C x N

originaljulz

LOL I watched that.

I'm like Eagle/No Homo
HEAVEN OR HELL? DUAL ONE. LETS ROCK!