• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

Discipline. Justice. Commitment.

Main Menu

Wellington SSFIV Scene?

Started by Gamogo, November 23, 2010, 07:52:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gamogo

Hi Guys,

I'm weighing up moving back to NZ and was talking to a buddy who lives in Wellington which is where I was thinking of moving back to. I'm curious as to what the Wellington SF scene was like.

I currently live in Sydney where the scene here is pretty sweet, with us having to weekly meetups excluding regular tournies both here and in Melbourne. Does Wellington have anything similar in terms of meetups, etc? I'm also curious about meetups in Auckland and what the (average) cost was for flying to Auckland and also roughly how long it takes to drive there from Wellytron given that Auckland seems to be a pretty large HUB in NZ for things SF related.

Any info would be appreciated. Also, does Wellington have an arcade by any chance? I suspect Super's release in arcades is going to be pretty sweet with arcades here gearing up for its release next month by way of new cabs being setup, etc.

My mate has been trying to sell me Wellington for a while now as he really likes it. Where both originally from Invervegas, which kicks ass as you all no doubt already know.

Cheers!
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

- Carl Sagan

http://gamogo.wordpress.com

massi4h

Hey man, you should come over for Christmas Damager and send me over to SS2010 lol. Afaik Wellington really don't have much, well nowhere near as much as Auckland. I know of a few players down there, but I think most of the 3S players are from Welly? So they must have some kind of arcade. There's gonna be a massive LAN on January 15th-16th for SSF4 and T6 and if most of us show up there will be heaps of fighting games to play.

I'll wait for some Wellingtonians to reply first though.

moose!

Cue Moose and Chuckk posting to tell him to play 3S.

moose!

But on a serious note- we do have some players, but we don't really have meet ups. Which is more to do with no one ever organising anything than anything else, it could happen when someone gets less lazy/more motivated.

We do have an arcade (for the time being, I hear) but SSFIV:AE will likely not make an appearance in it... like most places in NZ bar Yifans. We do have 3S however, and there are some good players around locally.

Auckland is for logistical purposes a bit too far to do often, 8+ hours by car depending on who's driving. Flights can be cheap though if you have someone on the other end to pick you up/put you up/put up with you.

B BOY DRAW2

Yeh...I gotta agree with Moose...
In the Welly arcade...I must be one of the only regulars that will put up with the random "hold block and jab until the machine responds" shinanigans and the "who cares if you can't read the player 2 meter without active shutter 3D glasses" hijinx.
I do bump into a few dope players though! there's a mean Vega...Gouken...and a few regular Ryu's...but everytime I'm in there...it's 3S that everyone flocks to.

I would say that I only became a local in the Welly arcade about a year ago...?...when we got Vanilla (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on the Welly release Moose) and since then...I've seen a lot of locals...not so local anymore...

I take it Moose still rocks the arcade...and the only other dude I see in there on the regular would be Chuck...and they rock 3S.

If meet ups is what you're looking for...I would recommend AKL. The few times I rock up there for tournies are pretty cool!
The scene is reasonably big...big enough for regular meets...and they hold it down pretty hard. Much respect to the AKL scene and organizing.
I bliss...like the fist...of the mantis...
Those who oppose get dropped and hit the canvas.

Chuckk

Wellington is a terrible place to come if you look at solely from an SF perspective. Honestly.

Arcade wise, Timezone doesn't count, and as much as I like Timezone and the manager, other than 3s on MCA parts, it offers nothing, especially if you're coming from a scene with SSFIV arcade release imminent.

On top of this, I don't think Timezone will be around for much longer, or will at least be on hiatus for some time, so any 'arcade' scene, which is already enough of a joke, is more or less dead in the water for the foreseeable future.

As far as events go, yeah, none of front up and organise anything proper. Personally, I'm worried that if I started something, noone would attend. It also weighs on me that I'd want to start something 3s related but noone would care, and I'm not quite selfless enough to start something for a game I'm absolutely terrible at and don't play. We also struggle from lack of venue, Old Boy being an option, perhaps? Even then it's been halved to make way for an asian grocer so NFI.

Come to Wellington if you want to come to WELLINGTON, not if you want to play Street Fighter.

...unless it's 3rd Strike, THEN COME:D
RAP GAME MIKE MYERS

"It's only the 360 version that is late.  PS3 version will ship on time."

-Lenny

Skullator

Yea, Wellington is awesome for other reasons.

fluxcore

I think you Wellingtonians need to think back to this year's nats and how it made you feel. Because you can have that in your own backyard, no question. With or without timezone.

Just gotta put a little elbow grease in first. Probably not as much as you might think, either.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

B BOY DRAW2

Quote from: Chuckk on November 23, 2010, 10:35:04 PM
Wellington is a terrible place to come if you look at solely from an SF perspective. Honestly...

...Come to Wellington if you want to come to WELLINGTON, not if you want to play Street Fighter.

Yup...

Quote from: fluxcore on November 23, 2010, 11:02:11 PM
I think you Wellingtonians need to think back to this year's nats and how it made you feel. Because you can have that in your own backyard, no question. With or without timezone.

Just gotta put a little elbow grease in first. Probably not as much as you might think, either.

Yup...
Honestly...It would be cool to have something here...
I just like leaving Wellington to come and play in AKL anyway.
I bliss...like the fist...of the mantis...
Those who oppose get dropped and hit the canvas.

Gamogo

Cheers for the responses guys :D

Out of curiosity, what is SF like online in NZ? I play a few of you from time to time in AU with mixed connection results though how is it playing NZ players?
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

- Carl Sagan

http://gamogo.wordpress.com

geneterror

I'm pretty sure I have played you online and we had a good connection. I live in Auckland and get good connections with most people in NZ.
KOW 2011

CrazyMobius

Quote from: Skullator on November 23, 2010, 10:58:25 PM
Yea, Wellington is awesome for other reasons.

Yeah I always think if one lived in Welly there would be better things to do than play SF. Sorta has that vibe about it.

massi4h

I normally don't have problems playing NZers and Aussies on XBL. Get roughly the same connection. It feel fine when I'm playing online, but then I play on LAN and it seems so much better...

Sdj

your right moose/ben you guys are lazy lol. seems you guys don't get upto much with console sessions. i'm keen to organize something for you guys seeing how i love the 3s makoto (you know my ps1 pad rocks!) anyways if chuck/moose/BBoyDraw2 take a read and are up for it just post back.
it's som btw
Melty Blood - C-Akiha, C-V.Akiha, C-Nanaya, C-W.len
Dissidia - Squall, Zidaine, Golbez, Frion, Tidus
SSF4 - Makoto, Sakura