• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

Newbies: feel free to ask for help! We can do training sessions online as well!

Main Menu

Getting off of our collective asses.

Started by Chuckk, November 23, 2010, 11:00:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuckk

In the thread about Gamogo moving to Wellington, muice, b boy and I have all basically stated the same thing. We have no regular SSF4 or anything, sessions.

We all have our own reasons as to why we haven't "started" anything, and I'm not blaming anyone. I've personally never gone out of my way to start something because I would be worried about noone turning up, cue worlds smallest violin etc, but that's the truth. Also because of lack of a good venue.

So I suggest, the 3 of us, and any other interested Wellington players, use this thread to brainstorm a way to fix this problem. The way I see it, we need to start regularly playing. I guess playing SSF4 more seriously, for muice and I at least, would be a good a start. We'd need a venue, preferably somewhere where we can expand the numbers of attendees, and also sussing out consoles/sticks etc.

I'm not suggesting a quick fix, but just that we get the ball rolling, talk about it etc. I heard there was a tourney a few weeks back in the Hutt or Petone or something from Som. So eventually if we did get something running, we spread it to those guys via word of mouth, or get them on the forums, something like that. Also I think between the three of us, if we did organise something, it'd work a lot better, and be a lot easier on us knowing that we aren't the only person involved, harder to back out, change our mind etc.

So let me know what you guys think, any suggestions, anything basically.
RAP GAME MIKE MYERS

"It's only the 360 version that is late.  PS3 version will ship on time."

-Lenny

B BOY DRAW2

Cool man...I totally agree!!!
I won't write a whole lot right now...but I'm keen to participate...help organize...and be involved bro!!!

I just finished watching those "Run it back - The road to SoCal" vids...and those...along with this thread you've started have gotten me hype after seeing where those guys came from...are at now...and how they may have lost their scenes if they didn't do something!

http://vimeo.com/16293297

...I'll have my eye on this thread bro...and try put some good input in here...

If I ain't pulling my weight bro...put me in my place man...I'm keen to get helping!
I bliss...like the fist...of the mantis...
Those who oppose get dropped and hit the canvas.

massi4h

I guess this is kinda related. Since you're in Wellington already and someone has kindly gotten off their ass to host it, will any of you be coming to WellyLan? Can at least somewhat build an SF community just from the event, just need lots of attendance. Look in the tournament forum.

Mr. Justice

Now, I'd be interested in attending WellyLan, barring the fact that I've only played BlazBlue and Guilty Gear before, so I'm unfamiliar with Tekken and Street Fighter.

Is there any venue or place where people would be keen to meet up and get to practise, as a casual thing?
j.C x N

zos'la

Check this thread out, start practicing from here and build your community up.
http://nzism.alphaism.com/forum/index.php/topic,1584.0.html

its teh AvT WellyLan, just what you need to start off with!!!! GO!! :)
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

LN

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/content.php?103-Got-Hype!-Let-s-Build-It!

Read this, really good writeup on starting a scene/furthering your existing scene/getting people playing your game :)
There is no knowledge that is not power

moose!

I think the problem is mainly that we lack unity on which games to play... When I first moved to Welly 3 (?) years ago 3S tourneys were running with 18 players or so simply because it was the only game we really had (Tekken had more maybe), and with the introduction of more titles we've definitely become a bit more segregated in which game(s) we each want to play.
I think perhaps agreeing on a game to play collectively would go a long way to getting us playing together- especially since there isn't an arcade here anymore to dictate the most logical choice.

Sdj

Quote from: zos'la on December 22, 2010, 10:57:31 AM
Check this thread out, start practicing from here and build your community up.
http://nzism.alphaism.com/forum/index.php/topic,1584.0.html

its teh AvT WellyLan, just what you need to start off with!!!! GO!! :)

lol i totally forgot about that one. Moose told me ages back as well but was instantly put off by the 50$ entry lolz. more keen for at now though since i'm interested to upstart a FG scene again.

Sadly my flight back to nz is on the 20th. i'll PM the others i know t sign up though. Thanks for reminder
Melty Blood - C-Akiha, C-V.Akiha, C-Nanaya, C-W.len
Dissidia - Squall, Zidaine, Golbez, Frion, Tidus
SSF4 - Makoto, Sakura

Skullator

Quote from: moose! on December 22, 2010, 05:49:40 PM
especially since there isn't an arcade here anymore to dictate the most logical choice.

Wait, did Manners mall end up dead? or Manners mall TZ or something?
Or what did I miss there?

Barnstorm

manners has become a street for cars now and as such TZ moved to a yet to be confirmed location

Rorooze

I think then main thing you need is someone to step up and find/organise a venue, even if it's at their own place. Then you just need people to bring xbox/ps3 and sticks and you're pretty much sorted. With BB:CS just released, MVC3 around the corner, and maybe SSF4:AE hitting consoles soon, it'd be good to pick one or two of those games. 3S will be coming to consoles sometime next year as well, that might be the boost that you guys need.

It's a shame the cost of entry to this Wellington event is so high and putting a lot of people off. I imagine that if we ran an event that cost that much in Auckland our turnout wouldn't be anywhere near the 40 odd players we had for SSF4, but they are running a LAN and the venue is probably why the cost is so high, and you get to play casuals for like, 2 whole days. In Auckland we pay $10 for about 3-4 hours of casuals at GIGA, so all things considered, the cost of that event is quite reasonable.

Sparzx

I've just dropped the price to $30 for NZism entries to SSFIV and T6 for Wellington LAN.

Gives you about 32 hours of gaming, should you not choose to sleep. :)

We've got 11 entered for Tekken, but only 3 for SSF =[

http://nzism.alphaism.com/forum/index.php/topic,1584.msg54933.html#new

Sdj

Quote from: Sparzx on December 23, 2010, 10:41:34 AM
I've just dropped the price to $30 for NZism entries to SSFIV and T6 for Wellington LAN.

Gives you about 32 hours of gaming, should you not choose to sleep. :)

We've got 11 entered for Tekken, but only 3 for SSF =[

http://nzism.alphaism.com/forum/index.php/topic,1584.msg54933.html#new

ooh dang. that's nice to hear about the price drop for the FG's man. . been posting a=on the tekken forums lately. ill be updating that to them too.
SSF4 - Makoto, Sakura

Chuckk

Sorry I haven't been able to post any updates or anything lately, but the last few weeks have been crazy. I've been working a lot, and am working pretty much every day left this year so sometime in the new year I'll be more active in coming up with some ideas.
RAP GAME MIKE MYERS

"It's only the 360 version that is late.  PS3 version will ship on time."

-Lenny

Sdj

Quote from: Chuckk on December 23, 2010, 05:19:00 PM
Sorry I haven't been able to post any updates or anything lately, but the last few weeks have been crazy. I've been working a lot, and am working pretty much every day left this year so sometime in the new year I'll be more active in coming up with some ideas.

merry christmas
SSF4 - Makoto, Sakura